“A lovely place”
Review of Chez Marie-Claire

Chez Marie-Claire
Ranked #21 of 119 Quebec City B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I spent two nights here with my husband and our 5 years old kid. The location is excellent, nearby the old walls and the park. Our room was large, very clean and confortable, even if it lacks a table or at least a desk. The king size shower box deserves a special mention. The breakfast is very tasty, with a double choice, either sweet or salted dishes. The hostess is smiling and kind. Pity that nobody tidied up our room during our stay

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Giorgia R
There are newer reviews for Chez Marie-Claire

Reviewed 19 January 2014

My husband and I stayed two nights at Chez Marie-Claire, on January 8-9, 2014. We were impressed just walking in the door. It was warm, cozy and attended by 2 young ladies from Brittany, France. They were most welcoming and professional. Our breakfast was 5Star each morning. Our room and en suite was so very clean and comfortable.
It was a stone's throw to everything, very central.
One thing tho, no television. However, my husband and I realized that we didn't miss it so much.

Room Tip: Go by your instinct.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mountaineers1969
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Chez Marie-Claire is a really good B&B in Quebec City centre. The room was huge, very clean with nice furniture. The bathroom was also really nice. The breakfast is homemade and served in a beautiful dining room.
The B&B offers free parking, the cars are parked behind the Chez. You have to leave your key in a sideboard in the entrance hall as cars are parked in rows. This was really strange for us in the beginning. But only the hosts park the cars and the young women who runs the Inn is a really good driver.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Tanja A
Reviewed 22 October 2013

There are many good hotels and bed & breakfasts on Rue Sainte Ursule in Quebec City and I recommend that you find another place to stay which is probably why this building is for sale but will most likely never sell! The good is that this bed & breakfast is within the walled old city which is very convenient, it has car parking behind the hotel, it is maintained by a very polite young lady that lives in the basement, and serves a very good homemade breakfast. The bad is that it looks worse than my grandmother’s Victorian home and needs extensive maintenance inside and outside...and it has the noisiest wood floors that I have every experienced...so if you walk to the bathroom in the middle of the night everyone in the room will be awake and most of your neighbors too. Also it has parking behind the hotel which I believe is eight shared car spaces of which four are in a garage and four more car spaces are parked half in the garage directly behind the cars parked in the garage...so you have to put your car keys in a dresser drawer in the hall so anyone can move your car if they need to get out of the garage. What really concerned me is that there is no receptionist at this bed & breakfast so you check-in with the receptionist several doors down at the Chez Hubert Bed & Breakfast...so this bed & breakfast has more of the look and feel of a low class boarding house than a bed & breakfast...and remember that you put your car keys in a dresser drawer in the hall without a receptionist. Most importantly I need to describe the room which has basic 1970s furniture with a queen bed, dresser, chair, night stand with a desk light, and waste basket...that is all the furniture in the room...but please let me describe our bathroom which I still can’t believe...our bathroom is the only newly renovated part of this bed & breakfast that I saw but it is the most bizarre bathroom I have ever seen in my life...the bathroom was long and narrow so first you had to walk around the toilet to get to the sink but if you are sitting at the toilet your knees are in the wall...I actually took a picture of this bathroom because it is the worst designed bathroom that I have ever seen and I would have preferred a bathroom on a cruise ship. The worst part of this hotel is the breakfast conversation which was all in French which I expected...what I did not expect was to be stared at by one of the guests while we were eating...basically I have been all over the world including France and if you don’t want to be polite then just leave me alone but this is the first time that a woman just keep staring at us and when my wife finally said "hello" she then decided to ignore us. If it was not enough for the other guests to ignore us at breakfast then at least have the common courtesy to pass the family style served food to our side of the table but nobody offered to pass the food or even to ask us to pass the food which we did without any response and it was obvious that at least half of the other guests spoke English...so we skipped breakfast the second morning because no homemade breakfast is worth this problem. Also we had the most bizarre experience at this breakfast in that all of the other guests were eating there buttered toast with a knife and fork...no seriously...I even asked our Quebec tour guide later that day if this was a local custom and was assured that she had never heard of that herself. So enjoying the homemade breakfast is not worth the cost of listening to French conversation while being ignored, being stared at while eating, not being passed any of the family style served food, and finally trying not to stare the other guests eat buttered toast with a knife and fork...what did I ever do to them! In summary, I believe this bed & breakfast has a lower price to make it more attractive to any potential buyers but once you see it I don’t know why you would buy it...or even want to stay there unless cost is your only consideration...so find another place to stay and save yourself the poor travel experience...lastly this is the first time I have ever felt that all of the prior tripadvisor reviews were completely wrong!!!

Room Tip: Find another hotel or bed & breakfast!!!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Kurt5280
Reviewed 15 August 2013

For your money, you simply cannot beat this place. Spotless rooms, delicious cooked breakfast, friendly staff and a very central location in the middle of the old part of town. Would happily visit again.

Room Tip: Ask for the room on the ground level. You avoid the stairs, and there is a secondary door behind the...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TheTravelBites
Reviewed 14 August 2013

We stayed for 4 days in the 3rd floor room, with the not so cold air conditioner (prob bec we're in the top floor?), very excellent breakfast and room service. But this place needs some fixings,as it is an old place. Perfect location! Very helpful staff! Almost perfect.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cyrillota
Reviewed 20 June 2013

we went there last weekend. good location, breakfast is delicious. Our room is very clean~~bathroom is beautiful. The only thing i don't like is that they gave us the code for free wifi, but it didn't work since we have tried many time. No air conditioner in the room, but last weekend is not very hot, so we were lucky. Television doesn't work. Overall is good, very quiet place, we had a good sleep

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple