“Very nice hotel in Quebec City”
Review of Auberge Maison Roy

Auberge Maison Roy
Ranked #85 of 119 Quebec City B&B and Inns
Shenyang City, China
“Very nice hotel in Quebec City”
Reviewed 7 November 2010

I went to Quebec City for a conference. I spent one week in this hotel from Oct. 3 to Oct. 9, 2010. The owner of the hotel, a French couple are really kindly. They gave me much help to find my bus stop, postofffice, supermarket, a taxi, and so on. The room is very nice and quite cheap for the place. It's very conenient to go to the old city by bus or go to the airport by a taxi. The bus stop is right in front of the hotel. If you'll go to the city, I'd like to recommend you to book this hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 18 August 2010

I thought this hotel was expensive for what you actually received. On the website they say you get air conditioning, there was no air conditioning in the room. There was a fan, but it was hot. The traffic noise outside was also very high.

I thought the owners were very nice and pleasant people. I booked through Expedia, where it was listed as a downtown hotel. It is not downtown. You must drive to get downtown. You can also take a bus, but bus fare and parking come out to about the same. It was also listed with air conditioning and wireless. There is wireless, but you must pay to use it each day. I think Expedia needs to update their description for this hotel.

The actual rooms were tiny. You could not move around the room if another person was there. The sink was in the room, which is a little off putting. The shower stalls are extremely tiny. There is barely enough room to turn around, and if you use more than soap or shampoo, you must leave it outside the shower or keep it on the floor. Both are difficult to do, because you end up tripping or flooding the bathroom. Also, the toilets do not flush well. It seemed like every other flush was successful, it would not take the paper.

Breakfast is at a restaurant that is a good 10 minute walk away. The service is hit or miss, the food is okay. I got sick from undercooked eggs the first day.

For $99 a night, you can book an actual downtown hotel that has air conditioning and wireless that you don't have to pay for. The price is high for what you get. I was expecting a romantic bed and breakfast. It ended up not being such.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Quebec City hotels

Cleveland, OH
Reviewed 26 July 2010

First of all, I want to precede this by saying that this has nothing to do with the owners. The French couple are really quite dear, and very helpful. I hope they plan to fix up this property.

I booked this place through Expedia, and it seemed rather cheap. However, Expedia advertised it as "downtown Quebec," which it is not. It is in Sillery. If you planned on walking downtown, do not stay here. Parking is free, but it is very limited and fills up quickly.

When I got to my room, I was shocked that the rate was so high for so little. My significant other and I bumped into each other all the time, and we barely had room for our luggage. If he was at the sink, I had to wait for him to be done to get around him to my suitcase. The shower was so small I could barely turn around, and you can't open the door fully because it hits the toilet. There is no room in the shower for anything except a tiny bar of soap and a tiny shampoo. If you are female and you use shampoo, conditioner, soap or body wash, and a razor expect to keep it on the floor or to open the door to grab it. Opening the door floods the bathroom floor fast. But if you keep it on the floor then you have no room to really stand anywhere. The small room it's in heats up fast, so you may want to shower with the door cracked. You will need to crack the door if you need to use the toilet after a shower. It has almost no ventilation and it becomes a sauna.

Also, the toilet. It seems like every other flush is successful. I even held down the handle for awhile to power flush, and it would still not take the paper. The sink in the room was off-putting, but I quickly got used to it.

The beds themselves are small, but I slept well. There is no air conditioner and traffic is noisy, but a fan that's in the room helps drown out the traffic noise. Once I got to sleep, I mostly stayed asleep, only awakened by traffic.

Also, this is not a true bed and breakfast. You are provided with vouchers to eat breakfast at a restaurant that's about 10 minutes walking/5 minutes driving. The breakfast is decent, but it's nothing to rave about. Service is hit or miss. The first time I had a waitress that asked me my preferences on eggs, bread, drinks and brought refills. The other times I had a waitress that just asked, "eggs or pancake" and automatically brought me white toast and eggs over easy with a cup of coffee. Coffee would be fine, except that I don't really drink coffee and eggs over easy with the runny yoke turn my stomach. Once your food is served, don't expect refills or any more attention from the staff. Try to ration your coffee so you don't need a refill. It really makes breakfast unpleasant.

There is wireless, but it is $5 a day. To me I felt like I was being nickeled and dimed after paying over $99 a night for sleeping in what was essentially the size of a closet. Also, the price I booked it for online and the price when I showed up were very different. I did not like that very much either.

Like I said, my problems are mostly with the property. The rooms aren't attractive, they're very small, and it's expensive for what you actually get. However, when it came to going places, the owners were very nice about suggesting parking and where to go. My significant other and I were looking for a romantic bed and breakfast, but it's nowhere near what we got. To remedy this, we stayed in the room very little. Mostly just to sleep and we avoided it at other times.

There is a bus stop in front, which is nice if you don't want to drive downtown or pay for parking.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Acton, MA
Reviewed 13 July 2009

This is a new hotel. The tenants, a French couple are really sweat. They bought the auberge a year ago and arranged it very nicely.

The rooms are quite small but nice and quite cheap for the place. 20 minutes from the center of the city. Bus stop right in front of the hotel.

1 Thank Passionduvoyage