“Conventient and economical”

Howard Johnson Quebec City
Ranked #78 of 102 Hotels in Quebec City
Reviewed 22 May 2011

Called the night before with questions and a fluently bilingual front desk agent was able to answer everything easily.

Checked in on a Wednesday, rec'd a street level room which is very convenient as we could unpack the car into the room via the patio door.

Clean room...and trust me, I inspect the beds, corners, ceilings, behind curtains, as well as bathroom for any sign of grime, bugs, etc.

Bed was extremely comfortable, the thick duvet was lovely.

Yes, it's an older building, there's no hiding that. The proximity to downtown (15 min easy drive), the moderate $, and the pleasant service makes up for it.

Free wireless internet as well as a computer station near the lobby. Spa available (we didn't use it but the room was clean).

Basic continental breakfast with a small variety of cereals, bread, muffins, etc. Just the right start to the day.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank AuntieJen

Reviewed 11 March 2011

The hotel is less than 5 minutes from the airport but quite a long way from downtown.

The decor is a little outdated but the hotel is well maintained and the rooms were clean.

The staff are very helpful and happy to give directions to local attractions as well as suggest other attractions that may be of interest.

The included buffet breakfast is more than enough to set you up for the day and all in all the hotel is great value considering what you get for the price, I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank TWMC2010
Reviewed 28 February 2011

I was the Tour Manager for the GL Travel Services tour to Quebec and Montreal. We stayed at this hotel three nights in total. The service was great, the staff was very helpful with anything that was asked. We had the continental breakfast one morning and a hot buffet meal the other two. Both times the food was good and plentiful.

The rooms were clean and a good size. When we do another tour to Quebec we would use the property again.

Russ Gaudet - President
GL Travel Services
Bedford, Nova Scotia

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank tourruss
Reviewed 21 February 2011

We planned to stay for two nights at this Hotel - upon arrival I didn't want to stay five minutes. When we entered our room the door was stuck and squeaked when you finally got it open. That should have been our first clue to turn around.

Once the door opened we were shocked with an tremendously outdated room that was absolutely filthy. The room looked NOTHING like the pictures that are on the hotels website. False advertising is an understatement with this place. The walls had gross wall paper from the 70’s that was scratches and tares throughout.

The washroom had trash left in the sink, and the shower looked as if it had not been cleaned in 20 years. The entire tub area of the shower was yellow and brown. Not only was it dirty, the toilet leaked all over the bathroom floor. I would much rather eat off the floor of a McDonalds Washroom than even use the toilet that my Qubec Hojo provided.

The bed had been made but not with clean sheets. To our surprise there were stains and pubic hair left on our top sheet. The blankets and sheets smelt as if someone was left to die there for months in the middle of summer. I do not even want to think of when the last time they had been washed.

The room came with a mini fridge which was unusable as the hotel bolted it shut with metal. Another disappointment was the tube t.v. which would not turn on my remote, and buzzed louder than an angry mob of hornets.
The free parking is true but let me tell you there are not many spaces. If the hotel is at full capacity, you would have to park cars on top of eachother. I asked the receptionist what the breakfast consisted of and she said cereal and orange juice. At this point I was just curious as there was no way I would put anything that they provided near my face let alone my mouth.
When it comes to location there are MANY MANY MANY hotels in the exact same area which are around the same price but better quality. I would not stay at this hotel ever again even if I was paid to. I am not a person who expects an $80.00 hotel to be anything special. I just wanted a place to sleep and shower at a lower cost. However, for $80.00 I got neither. There was no way I was sleeping in that bed, and there isn't anything on Earth that could get me to shower there.
All in all, the Quebec Howard Johnson should be condemned. It is old and extremely unsanitary. I would not wish the experience I had on anyone. It was the very first time that I complained about cleanliness, and service a hotel provide and I stay in all sorts of hotels often. I am begging you to go anywhere but this hotel. If I had the authority to shut this place down it would have been closed the second I stepped foot into my room.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
howardjohnsonquebec, Owner at Howard Johnson Quebec City, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2011

Dear Guest,

As the owner, I was very disappointed and suprised to see such a review. From all our staff and myself we apologize for the problems which you experienced at our Hotel Howard
Johnson Quebec city.We have fantastic staff which is determined to meet each of our guest's expectations and they were very disappointed to learn of this review, because we have one of the best housekeeping reviews in the Howard Johnson system and we our proud.
In our defense we have been renovating our rooms since the last 2 years and continue to do so .The pictures
on our website are no longer the same because we installed new curtains, recovered chairs,
new desk chairs,new lighting and 27 inch TV.and we have replaced old bedspreads with white comforters and covers on all beds.As to the issue of the bathrooms, our baths
are made of yellow acrylic one piece stall. They are not brand new by any means ,but are usaully
very clean and include the HOJO low shower heads.As for our breakfast , we offer 5 types of muffins,2 types of cold cereal,2 types of hot cereal,fresh fruit, fruit salad, 2 types of bread, orange juice, Tea, Decaf.and regular coffee(available 24 hours),Milk, chocolat milk and soon to be waffles.Some rooms have Mini frideges which are locked and we charge $5.00 per day if the clients wishes to use them.As for parking ,we have 100 places for a 75 room hotel, but during the winter season we have alot of snow and parking can be a little harder during peak days as during our winter carnaval weekends.In conclusion I ask in all fairness to please contact me personnaly and lets us make things right on your next trip to Quebec city. I would also appreciate knowing which room you stayed in and your arrival date. Thank you, Bruce Laurie , Owner Howard Johnson Quebec city

Reviewed 16 January 2011

This hotel is completely average but has everything you would expect from a mid-level hotel. Rooms were clean, not super modern but not out of date. Mattress could have been better but the duvet was great.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 December 2010

The room was a little dated but not smelly. Breakfast was okay.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2010

I totally agree with patagonicmilton's review. A/C units are exactly like the one shown in his picture and are very noisy. When we first entered the room there was a strong musty smell that almost made me want to go back and ask for another room, but after a 14-hr trip I was in no mood to argue with anyone ( the smell was still there after 4 days). Rooms are nothing like the pictures, it's obvious that very little money (if any) was ever spent on new carpets, curtains, furniture since it first opened. It offers a free complimentary breakfast which is identical every day: milk, small muffins, butter and jam portions and bad coffee, better rent a small fridge and buy your own stuff. I have stayed at Comfort Inn next door and they are so much better, HoJo Quebec was by far the worst hotel experience I ever had. If you are planning on visiting Quebec, pay a little extra and book a nice hotel where sheets are changed daily and furniture is from this century.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family