“A wonderfully situated hotel in Quebec City.”
Review of Hotel Cap Diamant

Hotel Cap Diamant
Ranked #11 of 119 Quebec City B&B and Inns
Abingdon, Virginia
“A wonderfully situated hotel in Quebec City.”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

From the hidden dumbwaiter that carries your bags to the upper floors to the beautiful antiques found throughout, this is a first class establishment. The breakfast (included) was sufficient: coffee, yogurt, bread, and cheese. When the morning was pretty, we ate in the secluded courtyard, listening to a fountain and enjoying the peace and quiet. We had alerted the owners that we needed parking for our full-sized pick-up truck. No problem. They had a spot nearby ready for us to claim. The room was comfortable, with a small, but sufficient bathroom. The air conditioning--very needed during the heat wave--worked beautifully.

Room Tip: Ask for a king room. The queen rooms are quite small.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Toronto
Reviewed 23 August 2013

My boyfriend and I just came back from a weekend getaway in Quebec City. We had booked the smallest room on the website, not planning to spend much time in the room other than to sleep. But when we got there and saw the room, we were very pleasantly surprised! There was no wasted space in the room and the room had everything we needed, including a mini fridge. The view was of the rear courtyard, facing away from any potential road traffic noise. The location of the hotel was perfect, we simply parked our car for the weekend and walked everywhere. It was wonderful to have a base to come to from all the walking excursions we did. Even though we didn't plan to spend too much time in the room, we ended up taking naps during the day because the room was just so inviting and welcoming. We will definitely be staying here the next we are back in Quebec City.

Room Tip: If you don't need a massive room, don't be afraid of the smaller room. The pictures do not...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Gatineau, Canada
Reviewed 23 August 2013

We found this hotel online and what a gem..IN the old town within walking distance of historical sites, 5 stars restaurants, museums and great entertainment. Not to mention close to a shaded park and Quebec's famous landmarks. Filled with antiques and a walled courtyard where you can sit ( we appreciated the fact we could buy our wine and local cheese) and enjoy life before taking off on another great walk.
This B&B offers a complete continental breakfast safe parking (did not use the car once during our 3 day trip) and one street behind, a walkway up the Citadel overlooking the city , the majestic St- Laurent river and a birds eye view of historic Orleans Island as well as the Laurentian Mountains. Could not find a better spot to take photos if you tried..
Highly recommend it and it will be our home away from home when we return again and again to this magnificent City.

Room Tip: There is a lift for luggage but no elevators. All rooms have AC.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank carmg2013
Reviewed 31 July 2013

The review from 333meg is spot-on. We also stayed in room 1A, the top-most room in building 39. What a beautiful place! The room is so large that I wouldn't mind living there permanently. Very comfortable King-size bed. I agree that the kitchen could use a microwave oven, and suggested this to our host when checking-out. Hotel Cap Diamant is very conveniently located -- just downhill from the Citadel and next to the Plains of Abraham park. While checking-in we were treated to free music of Paul McCartney wafting in from his concert at the Amphitheater. And wWhen checking-out we heard Celine Dion performing a sound check.

Room Tip: If possible, stay in room 1A. The rooms are very different from one to the next, and this one is th...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 13 July 2013

I stayed two nights in the top floor king room of building 39. There are two houses sandwiched together. you check into 37. I had a lot trouble locating it with all the one way streets leading in. Parked on street with blinkers on while first checking in. Was greeted by both the absolutely lovely Florence and her charming daughter who both live in apartments in the houses. I like that it's like i was staying at their house but still very, very private. I was traveling alone with a very heavy piece of luggage and the daughter carried my luggage to the dumb waiter system that carried it up to the 3rd floor (I felt embarrassed bc we were likely the same age but I was so grateful as I was exhausted from a day of travel). I was then instructed where to park my car which was very close by and for an additional $34 for two nights. The hotel is gorgeous!!! Exactly what I was hoping for during my stay in Ville de Quebec. Impeccable decor, antique furniture, perfect! I did traverse steep steps into the hotel and 2 flights of narrow, steep stairs. No problem for me as long as I'm not carrying my luggage! Upon entering my room I was stunned and just plain giddy. It was so much more than I had expected. First it was not just room but a two story apartment, it was enormous. It had antique furniture, a fantastic brick wall along one side, stone on the wall leading up to the second story, a wood burner for the colder months, a dining room, a big kitchen with a full sized refrigerator....but no microwave (more on that later) and a fantastic, gorgeously designed private bathroom with a cast iron tub/shower combo. The 2nd story has a rooftop terrace which you have pay $20 extra per day to have unlocked and accessible, I paid for it. If you get this room do not pass on the access. Once on the terrace the view of the cobblestone street below and looming, gorgeous Chateau Frontenac is spectacular and breath taking. There is also the view of the city beyond and the steeple top of a lovely nearby church. There is a little table with two chairs to sit on.
For sleeping the bed was very comfortable as were the pillows. I have a thing about throw pillows on hotel beds as I know they don't washed but I just tossed them to the side. The room was extremely clean and the floors of hardwood and tile were shining. The hotel sits on very quiet side street literally a minute walk from The Chateau. Horse and buggy rides travel the road for a lovely, nostalgic feel. I did not partake of the breakfast as I wanted to eat more elsewhere after heeding the advice of previous Trip Advisors but it looked perfectly fine, I wanted eggs and such.
Now for for my one big gripe, there is a full sized kitchen, it's huge and beautiful. There is only a tea set ( why no coffee???) offered. A big fridge but no microwave...it really bummed me out. I feel like it's not there because there are restaurants they offered up as choices so they don't want you eating in your room, rather eating out., like Las Vegas. I took offense. I'm paying for this big space and really, really think there should be a microwave offered. Point being that I was completely exhausted after my first whole day adventuring around the city. I could barely walk, yes, that tired! I had already spent $300 on food since arriving. I wanted nothing more than to just stay in my room but couldn't heat up any of the food I had purchased at Marche du Vieux Port. I just don't understand the logic behind no microwave.
The total for my two night stay not including parking was $460. Except for the microwave thing, worth every penny and would love to stay here again. It was awful weather so I never partook of the garden area. Definitely recommend if you want the complete Vieux Quebec experience.

Room Tip: The top floor of building 39 is exceptional!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank 333meg
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 13 July 2013

We found upon our arrival a very nice owner, Florence and her daughter Marie at 6pm, arriving by train from Montreal. There are two entrances / sides / to this auberge - so be aware you might be on one side and to enter the other for breakfast means extra stairs which can be an issue for some. Our room was lovely and faced the street - it was extremely large and clean - we could see the bathroom had recently been re-done, and the furnishings older. Decor is in the French style. Now, to breakfast. As an American, I am not a fan of Kraft cheeses and p-nut butter - which was packaged individually to add to croissants and other bread items. Another option was blueberry bread lacking in taste. Fruit was older apples. Yogurt was available but not very well chilled. Orange juice and coffee available. My compliment is to the the sun room for eating, a lovely view of a back yard that is currently getting a make over and has some outdoor tables available. Overall, our experience was very good, just some caution with the more American-ized breakfast which seemed quite odd considering the ambience.

Room Tip: It is a very quiet street, so don't worry if that is your given / chosen room - - some of the ho...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Promenades C
Lakeland, Florida
Reviewed 9 July 2013

The inn is lovely but we had explained that we cannot handle stairs and the entry involves extremely steep stairs. The evening attendant is quite rude but those during the day are wonderful. The breakfast was pastries, juice and coffee which causes one to have to go elsewhere for breakfast. The ice machine is extremely small and not adequate for more than four persons.

Room Tip: I advise that you try some other hotels as the breakfast is very sparse.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family