“hotel OK, don't book single occupancy”
Review of Hotel Clarendon

Hotel Clarendon
Ranked #39 of 102 Hotels in Quebec City
Amsterdam
“hotel OK, don't book single occupancy”
Reviewed 4 July 2011

Stayed here for a conference, booked via an external site. Because I had put 'single occupancy' I got such a small room (next to the lift) that the coffee machine was kept in a cupboard. Changing rooms did not solve this. The internet worked for my phone but not for my computer (may be an issue of not supporting Linux)
The hotel is meant to have four stars, but the rooms I got were definitely not that level -got the feeling of being earmarked for booking externally as nobody was especially helpful. Real shame that they use those rooms because the rest of the hotel looks nice. Next time I will go for something more practical.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
dmartineau, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Clarendon, responded to this review, 13 July 2011
Hello,

Sorry for the delay in response and thank you for sending in your observations. I read each and every one with much interest.
The Clarendon is 140 years old so there are some rooms which are smaller than others but all are comfortable and cosy. You should not hesitate to inform the front desk if every you desire to change rooms. Our staff would have been more than happy to accomodate you with another room, even upgrade without any extra cost if possible.
We are presently working on upgrading our internet service due to the constant high demand. We're truly sorry if this has caused you any inconveniences.

From all of our staff and Management, we do hope to count you amongst our futur guests. Enjoy your summer.

Diane

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 2 July 2011

This hotel advertises complimentary in-room internet but the signal is so weak around the hotel and the connection so low-band that it is in fact unusable. At least so it was in my room and in general around the 5th floor (yeah I moved around with my phone just to check). I could surf the internet at the lobby but even there the speed was pathetic. According to speedest.net just a mere 0.23Mbps download at the lobby! The average youth hostel or cafeteria can do much better than that. I reported the problems in the morning but it seems that my report was plainly ignored as when I complained again in the afternoon the lady at the desk was not at all aware of my previous report. About an hour after my second report I was told that there had been some technical problems at my floor but that they should be fixed by now. I wondered what could be the mysterious "technical problem" as I am not a complete IT illiterate and my tests clearly pointed to the direction of just a extremely low-class wifi infrastructure (nothing that could be fixed by just resetting the router). Of course after returning to my room the internet worked (very very poorly) for exactly 3 minutes before being totally gone. A 10-minutes pinging test to yahoo.com showed that 96.5% of the packages were lost. So yeah the internet works like a charm.... Totally unacceptable for a supposedly 4 stars hotel charging a minimum of 150$/night. Might be OK for tourists that do not mind checking their emails at the lobby. But business travelers better stay away.

Room Tip: Don't go if you need internet
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
dmartineau, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Clarendon, responded to this review, 24 July 2011
Good day,

First of all sorry for the delay in responding to your review. All comments are considered beneficial and every review is carefully analyzed.

Management is truly sorry for any inconveniences caused by the slow internet service while you were here. Our technical team has looked into the matter and ajustments are being made.

We attach great importance to our individual travelers and having read thousands of comments coming from them, in fact this situation was a regretful one.

Cambridge MA
Reviewed 2 July 2011

For a larger hotel, we found the Clarendon to have great charm & warmth in both the building & staff we encountered. We were there for 5 nights & were very comfortable despite significant swings in the outside temperature. We participated in the Quebec marathon & came back to soak in the extra deep tub. For a family on a budget, the breakfast was an exceptional value & the service by Neenie in the dining room could not have been matched. Quebec has so many things to see & do, all of which were easily reached given the Clarendon's central location. We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Rqst an upper floor outside room for the best view
1 Thank cote_a_cote
dmartineau, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Clarendon, responded to this review, 4 July 2011
Good morning,

Thank your for sharing your observations during you 5 night stay. The Clarendon's 140 year old charm has stayed within the walls and all of our staff is proud to deploy their 5 heart service renowned for the Groupe Dufour.

So much to see and do is quite the fact. We are situated in the heart of old Québec within the walls and our free concierge service can help you to organize any activity you choose. They are aware of all that's going on inside the city and it's surrounding areas.

Thank you for choosing the Clarendon and we're looking forward to greeting you upon your next trip to Québec.

Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed 28 June 2011

The Clarendon is a nice old hotel located easy walking distance from everything in the old city. Our room was fine, but the windows wouldn't open so we had to use the AC to clear out the stale air. The breakfast buffet is of poor quality and very expensive. Evening entertainment in the bar area is very good. Personnel were generally helpful and pleasant to deal with but checkout was cumbersome with several minor mistakes on the bill. They need to automate this process. We will be staying elsewhere on our next trip to Quebec city.

Room Tip: Stay on weekdays as the rates are lower.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank johnr67
dmartineau, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Clarendon, responded to this review, 30 June 2011
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to write in your review, it's well appreciated. All comments are taken very seriously. This enables us to continue evolving and better all of our services. It's nice to see that the Jazz succeeded in charming you. We offer our guests free live jazz thursday, friday and saturday nights during the summer season and thursday's and fridays during the winter season.

I will pass on you kind words regarding our staff, they will surely appreciate it.

Enjoy your summer,

Regards

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2011

Great location in old town just behind the Town Hall & near the Fairmont Hotel. Nice old building, generally clean & comfortable. We had 2 rooms - one with 2 doubles at rear of hotel was fine - of average size and quite light. The second room with 1 queen was a quite small and dark, (it overlooked an internal courtyard and only had 2 bedside lamps - no centre light). Hotel did try to move us but could only offer 2 other similiar rooms as they were full. Double beds were fine but Queen bed was a bit like being on a waterbed. We still enjoyed our stay - old Quebec is a great place to visit & stay. Park yourself in underground lot opposite hotel (under town hall) for about 12 CAD per day.

Room Tip: Request rooms not facing internal courtyard
1 Thank mike b
Hello,

Management and staff thank you for sending in your observations. It's always nice to have input from our guests. We do have many different room sizes due to the fact the the Clarendon has now celebrated it's 140th anniversary.
I'm pleased to see that the staff at the front desk did their best to try to accomodate you and that you enjoyed your stay.

We hope that you'll include us in your next travel plans.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 21 June 2011

Charming historical building with rooms nicely updated.
Great location, clean and spacious rooms, attentive front desk services. Got the reservation at discount rate - therefore better than incredible value!
Highly recommended!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
dmartineau, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Clarendon, responded to this review, 26 June 2011
Good day,

Thank you for sharing your observations during your wintery stay last December. The Clarendon Hotel is a cosy place to stay no matter what time of year.

I'll pass on your comments regarding the cleanliness and comfort of our rooms as well as the attentive front desk staff. The Clarendon staff doesn't take for granted any of our guests and we appreciate it when you let us show you our *savoir faire*.

We do hope that you will include us in your next travel plans.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 17 June 2011

On our first day, my mother and I were in our room changing our clothes when two elderly couple had entered our room. Apparently the front desk in error gave them our rooms as their rooms and provided them with access. Then the next day after returning from our day of activities, we were locked out of our hotel room. Apparently the front desk had terminated our access, again in error. On our last day, while checking out, the front desk informed me that I owed money due to purchasing stamps which I had not done. I assume it was due to the error that occured on our first day and that it was most likely purchased by the elderly couple which I explained to the staff member and was told that it removed from my billing. I just received my credit card statement and was charged for the stamps. The amount was less than $3 but it does not excuse the horrible service that your hotel has provided. I have sent in a complaint. I have worked in customer service for over 10 years and have never has such horrible service. Will never go there again!

4 Thank Tee0208
Good day,
Sorry for the delay in responding to your review. Staff and management are sorry for any inconveniences caused during your stay.
All comments, review and e-mails are taken very seriously. We thank you for taking the time to write your review and a detailed follow up of the situation will be undertaken in the following days.