“Perfect location and we'll be back.”
Review of Hotel Clarendon

Hotel Clarendon
Ranked #38 of 101 Hotels in Quebec City
Jaffrey, New Hampshire
“Perfect location and we'll be back.”
Reviewed 10 July 2011

The hotel is in Old Quebec City at the heart of everything and walking distance to everywhere. Hotel was very clean, comfortable and centrally located. We stayed there with our four year old granddaughter and never had to worry about taxis or hot cars. The staff was great and we would never hesitate to return.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank judy03452
dmartineau, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Clarendon, responded to this review, 13 July 2011
Good afternoon,

Thank you for taking the time to send in your observations. It's true that our hotel is situated in the heart of Québec city where boutiques, museums, restaurants and bars are all walking distance.

I'll pass on the kind words regarding our welcoming staff. They all take pride in spoiling our guests, no matter what their desirs may be, Even the little one enjoyed herself so that's always comforting to know that she felt at home away from home.

Thank you for choosing the Clarendon and we do hope that we'll have the privilege of being your hosts upon your next trip to our beautiful city.

Diane

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2011

Built in 1870, this is an excellent example of a period hotel. The dark wood in the reception area through to the bar sets the scene for the rest of the hotel. Our room was brilliant - Queen bed, sofa, arm chair, desk/chair, TV, etc - the only drawbacks were no safe or fridge.
On our first night we wished to eat in the restaurant but it was closed as there was a private function so we had to eat in the bar and choose from the Bistro menu. The food could have been better, e.g. soup was cold around the edges - probably due to hot soup being poured into a cold dish. My wife had steak which was good but my trout was slightly overcooked and, therefore, a little dry.
We stayed for 3 nights and during 2 of the nights the corridors were very noisy after 11:00pm (sounded like young men wandering around the corridors).
The location is wonderful for visisting Old Quebec.
Overall, we would recommend.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank manswa
Hello,

Thank you for writing in your rewiew. Being the Guest Services manager I take each and every comment very seriously.
I'm really glad that you fell in love with the old charm of the Clarendon which has celebrated it's 140th anniversary. Just so you will know for further use, we do have free safety deposit boxes at the front desk and it is also possible to inquire about the use of a small refrigerator.

I'm sorry to read that the temperature of the food was not exactly as you had anticipated. Our concierge service is also available free of charge. They have all of the necessary information and maps to guide you around the city. They even make the reservations for you.

Thank you for having chosen the Clarendon and we do hope that we will be part of your next experience once you return to Québec city.

Reviewed 6 July 2011

We arrived at Hotel Clarendon after a long day's drive. I had booked this room on Priceline but was upgraded to a queen bed because it was the first night of our honeymoon. Our room was small but very lovely and the bathroom was huge! The location of this hotel cant be beat, we had a wonderful time wandering around Old Quebec in the evening. The hotel bar was a great place to finish off the night, sitting in big, comfy chairs in front of large, open windows. Overall, this hotel was lovely! I

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank Delight82
dmartineau, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Clarendon, responded to this review, 24 July 2011
Good morning,

Firstly congratulations on your recent wedding. Thank you for choosing the Clarendon to be part of such an unforgettable moment. I'm really glad to see that the Front desk Agents responded with their heart upon your arrival.

Our city is magnificient and considered one of the most romantic ones to be found. You mention our bar in your e-mail. I don't know if your aware that we have sizzling live jazz in the bar on thursday, friday and saturday evenings from 9pm to midnight during the summer season and friday and saturday nights otherwise.

Being the Guest Services Manager I'm so happy to see that the Clarendon and it's staff made such a precious moment so magical.

Warm wishes to you both,

Amsterdam
Reviewed 4 July 2011

Stayed here for a conference, booked via an external site. Because I had put 'single occupancy' I got such a small room (next to the lift) that the coffee machine was kept in a cupboard. Changing rooms did not solve this. The internet worked for my phone but not for my computer (may be an issue of not supporting Linux)
The hotel is meant to have four stars, but the rooms I got were definitely not that level -got the feeling of being earmarked for booking externally as nobody was especially helpful. Real shame that they use those rooms because the rest of the hotel looks nice. Next time I will go for something more practical.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Hello,

Sorry for the delay in response and thank you for sending in your observations. I read each and every one with much interest.
The Clarendon is 140 years old so there are some rooms which are smaller than others but all are comfortable and cosy. You should not hesitate to inform the front desk if every you desire to change rooms. Our staff would have been more than happy to accomodate you with another room, even upgrade without any extra cost if possible.
We are presently working on upgrading our internet service due to the constant high demand. We're truly sorry if this has caused you any inconveniences.

From all of our staff and Management, we do hope to count you amongst our futur guests. Enjoy your summer.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 2 July 2011

This hotel advertises complimentary in-room internet but the signal is so weak around the hotel and the connection so low-band that it is in fact unusable. At least so it was in my room and in general around the 5th floor (yeah I moved around with my phone just to check). I could surf the internet at the lobby but even there the speed was pathetic. According to speedest.net just a mere 0.23Mbps download at the lobby! The average youth hostel or cafeteria can do much better than that. I reported the problems in the morning but it seems that my report was plainly ignored as when I complained again in the afternoon the lady at the desk was not at all aware of my previous report. About an hour after my second report I was told that there had been some technical problems at my floor but that they should be fixed by now. I wondered what could be the mysterious "technical problem" as I am not a complete IT illiterate and my tests clearly pointed to the direction of just a extremely low-class wifi infrastructure (nothing that could be fixed by just resetting the router). Of course after returning to my room the internet worked (very very poorly) for exactly 3 minutes before being totally gone. A 10-minutes pinging test to yahoo.com showed that 96.5% of the packages were lost. So yeah the internet works like a charm.... Totally unacceptable for a supposedly 4 stars hotel charging a minimum of 150$/night. Might be OK for tourists that do not mind checking their emails at the lobby. But business travelers better stay away.

Room Tip: Don't go if you need internet
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Good day,

First of all sorry for the delay in responding to your review. All comments are considered beneficial and every review is carefully analyzed.

Management is truly sorry for any inconveniences caused by the slow internet service while you were here. Our technical team has looked into the matter and ajustments are being made.

We attach great importance to our individual travelers and having read thousands of comments coming from them, in fact this situation was a regretful one.

Cambridge MA
Reviewed 2 July 2011

For a larger hotel, we found the Clarendon to have great charm & warmth in both the building & staff we encountered. We were there for 5 nights & were very comfortable despite significant swings in the outside temperature. We participated in the Quebec marathon & came back to soak in the extra deep tub. For a family on a budget, the breakfast was an exceptional value & the service by Neenie in the dining room could not have been matched. Quebec has so many things to see & do, all of which were easily reached given the Clarendon's central location. We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Rqst an upper floor outside room for the best view
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank cote_a_cote
dmartineau, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Clarendon, responded to this review, 4 July 2011
Good morning,

Thank your for sharing your observations during you 5 night stay. The Clarendon's 140 year old charm has stayed within the walls and all of our staff is proud to deploy their 5 heart service renowned for the Groupe Dufour.

So much to see and do is quite the fact. We are situated in the heart of old Québec within the walls and our free concierge service can help you to organize any activity you choose. They are aware of all that's going on inside the city and it's surrounding areas.

Thank you for choosing the Clarendon and we're looking forward to greeting you upon your next trip to Québec.

Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed 28 June 2011

The Clarendon is a nice old hotel located easy walking distance from everything in the old city. Our room was fine, but the windows wouldn't open so we had to use the AC to clear out the stale air. The breakfast buffet is of poor quality and very expensive. Evening entertainment in the bar area is very good. Personnel were generally helpful and pleasant to deal with but checkout was cumbersome with several minor mistakes on the bill. They need to automate this process. We will be staying elsewhere on our next trip to Quebec city.

Room Tip: Stay on weekdays as the rates are lower.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank johnr67
dmartineau, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Clarendon, responded to this review, 30 June 2011
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to write in your review, it's well appreciated. All comments are taken very seriously. This enables us to continue evolving and better all of our services. It's nice to see that the Jazz succeeded in charming you. We offer our guests free live jazz thursday, friday and saturday nights during the summer season and thursday's and fridays during the winter season.

I will pass on you kind words regarding our staff, they will surely appreciate it.

Enjoy your summer,