“Traditional charming hotel in an excellent location”
Review of Hotel Clarendon

Hotel Clarendon
Ranked #36 of 102 Hotels in Quebec City
Hudderfield England
“Traditional charming hotel in an excellent location”
Reviewed 17 July 2011

In the centre of Old Quebec, great location. First impressions count and the Reception and Concierge service was spot on throughout our stay. Drove there, sat nav was invaluable. Bedrooms are reasonable size, queen size bed with good quality furnishings. No noise. The restaurany is Art Deco and a very pleasant place for a leisurely breakfast. We didn't have dinner there as we like france and french food and the old town has a great selection of restaurants though rate of exchange makes them pricey.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 14 July 2011

We took my mom to Quebec for her 70th birthday as her Dad grew up in the area. She had not been to Canada in 60 years. We could not have picked a better location for her 70 year old legs. Every site that we wanted to see is within a short walk of the Clarendon.

The staff is great! They attended to our every request quickly and were extremely polite and knowledgeable.

Having breakfast at the hotel every day is convenient and the food was pretty good.

After reading all of the reviews and manager responses on tripadvisor I decided to ask to meet Diane Martineau, Guest Relations Manager. Her responses on this web site were one of the main reasons why we chose this hotel. I was very impressed that she took the time out of her schedule to spend a few minutes with me.

Lastly, the price was right. It is far less expensive than the big hotel on the hill and just as convenient to all of the sites.

We all loved the city and this hotel and hope to be back soon.

Room Tip: Book early and ask for any extras...they are happy to accomodate
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
dmartineau, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Clarendon, responded to this review, 19 July 2011
Hello,

Thank you for choosing the Clarendon and for taking the time to write in your observations. All comments and reviews are read and answered by me, and I take great pride in doing so.

I'm really glad to see that you chose such a fabulous city to celebrate your mom's 70th birthday. It is a fabulous place.

Management is very proud of our staff which are all bilingual. They all have that little extra concern and consideration for our guests which has proven to make a big difference in a short or long stay.

I personally thank you for mentionning our brief meeting in the lobby. I was quite supprised when I was called to the front desk in order to meet with you. I'm aware that not all hotels take the time to acknowledge reviews. It's refreshing to see that showing genuine concern for others has made a difference in your choice of hotels. I really appreciated you taking the time to tell me *live*.

I have already passed on the kind words to our fabulous staff and I can say that it gave them all an extra shot in the arm to continue doing what the do so well.

From one oldtomatoe to another, feel free to visit us anytime.

Smithers, B.C.
Reviewed 11 July 2011

Old hotel in the heart of the old city of Quebec. So old that the electrical plug-ins were so worn that lamps, the coffee maker and my computer had to be jiggled with to make sure they pprovided power. The wi-fi system is very weak and very spotty. I stayed 8 days and this did not improve, despite complaints and promises. Staff varied from very helpful to very unhelpful. This was my second stay and I will not return.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank RonTSmithers_B_C_
dmartineau, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Clarendon, responded to this review, 13 July 2011
Good afternoon,

Thank you for writing in your response. Sorry for the inconveniences caused by the wi-fi system which is presently being upgraded due to a higher demand.

We have front desk agents available 25 hours a day 7 days a week so I'm sure that they could have assisted you with any technical problem or other. Our staff is more than eager to assist any guest who mentions particular needs.

All of our staff and management wish you a very enjoyable summer.

Jaffrey, New Hampshire
Reviewed 10 July 2011

The hotel is in Old Quebec City at the heart of everything and walking distance to everywhere. Hotel was very clean, comfortable and centrally located. We stayed there with our four year old granddaughter and never had to worry about taxis or hot cars. The staff was great and we would never hesitate to return.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank judy03452
Good afternoon,

Thank you for taking the time to send in your observations. It's true that our hotel is situated in the heart of Québec city where boutiques, museums, restaurants and bars are all walking distance.

I'll pass on the kind words regarding our welcoming staff. They all take pride in spoiling our guests, no matter what their desirs may be, Even the little one enjoyed herself so that's always comforting to know that she felt at home away from home.

Thank you for choosing the Clarendon and we do hope that we'll have the privilege of being your hosts upon your next trip to our beautiful city.

Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2011

Built in 1870, this is an excellent example of a period hotel. The dark wood in the reception area through to the bar sets the scene for the rest of the hotel. Our room was brilliant - Queen bed, sofa, arm chair, desk/chair, TV, etc - the only drawbacks were no safe or fridge.
On our first night we wished to eat in the restaurant but it was closed as there was a private function so we had to eat in the bar and choose from the Bistro menu. The food could have been better, e.g. soup was cold around the edges - probably due to hot soup being poured into a cold dish. My wife had steak which was good but my trout was slightly overcooked and, therefore, a little dry.
We stayed for 3 nights and during 2 of the nights the corridors were very noisy after 11:00pm (sounded like young men wandering around the corridors).
The location is wonderful for visisting Old Quebec.
Overall, we would recommend.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank manswa
Hello,

Thank you for writing in your rewiew. Being the Guest Services manager I take each and every comment very seriously.
I'm really glad that you fell in love with the old charm of the Clarendon which has celebrated it's 140th anniversary. Just so you will know for further use, we do have free safety deposit boxes at the front desk and it is also possible to inquire about the use of a small refrigerator.

I'm sorry to read that the temperature of the food was not exactly as you had anticipated. Our concierge service is also available free of charge. They have all of the necessary information and maps to guide you around the city. They even make the reservations for you.

Thank you for having chosen the Clarendon and we do hope that we will be part of your next experience once you return to Québec city.

Reviewed 6 July 2011

We arrived at Hotel Clarendon after a long day's drive. I had booked this room on Priceline but was upgraded to a queen bed because it was the first night of our honeymoon. Our room was small but very lovely and the bathroom was huge! The location of this hotel cant be beat, we had a wonderful time wandering around Old Quebec in the evening. The hotel bar was a great place to finish off the night, sitting in big, comfy chairs in front of large, open windows. Overall, this hotel was lovely! I

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank Delight82
dmartineau, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Clarendon, responded to this review, 24 July 2011
Good morning,

Firstly congratulations on your recent wedding. Thank you for choosing the Clarendon to be part of such an unforgettable moment. I'm really glad to see that the Front desk Agents responded with their heart upon your arrival.

Our city is magnificient and considered one of the most romantic ones to be found. You mention our bar in your e-mail. I don't know if your aware that we have sizzling live jazz in the bar on thursday, friday and saturday evenings from 9pm to midnight during the summer season and friday and saturday nights otherwise.

Being the Guest Services Manager I'm so happy to see that the Clarendon and it's staff made such a precious moment so magical.

Warm wishes to you both,

Amsterdam
Reviewed 4 July 2011

Stayed here for a conference, booked via an external site. Because I had put 'single occupancy' I got such a small room (next to the lift) that the coffee machine was kept in a cupboard. Changing rooms did not solve this. The internet worked for my phone but not for my computer (may be an issue of not supporting Linux)
The hotel is meant to have four stars, but the rooms I got were definitely not that level -got the feeling of being earmarked for booking externally as nobody was especially helpful. Real shame that they use those rooms because the rest of the hotel looks nice. Next time I will go for something more practical.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Hello,

Sorry for the delay in response and thank you for sending in your observations. I read each and every one with much interest.
The Clarendon is 140 years old so there are some rooms which are smaller than others but all are comfortable and cosy. You should not hesitate to inform the front desk if every you desire to change rooms. Our staff would have been more than happy to accomodate you with another room, even upgrade without any extra cost if possible.
We are presently working on upgrading our internet service due to the constant high demand. We're truly sorry if this has caused you any inconveniences.

From all of our staff and Management, we do hope to count you amongst our futur guests. Enjoy your summer.