“A Beauty.”

Ranked #39 of 102 Hotels in Quebec City
New Jersey
“A Beauty.”
Reviewed 27 July 2011

Stayed at this Hotel in July of 2011. Unfortunately, the hotel had its front name sign covered by scaffolding, so don't accidentally miss it! You have to park in front of the hotel to unload, and then use valet parking. I generally don't use valet parking, but felt I had too in this instance, because I could not see any available parking anywhere in the Old City. I still don't know where they hid my car, but I did get it back in one piece when I left. The hotel lobby is beautiful and the service exceptional. The rooms were clean and adequate. The hotel is situated right near the most attractive parts of the Old City of Quebec, which are an easy walking distance away. This hotel was quite a bargain for its location.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
dmartineau, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Clarendon, responded to this review, 9 August 2011
Hello,

Thank you for sending in some feedback. The Clarendon is 140 years old and our front door Marquise is going through a makeover. The exterior of the building is closely guarded by Unesco for the preservation of Québecs' heritage. We appologize for any inconveniences.

You do have the option to park yourself or use our free valet service. The parking space is right in front of the hotel and has easy access with a hallway that connects the hotel to the indoor parking area.

The lobby, bar and main dining room have also kept their art deco charm. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay, the location as well as the friendliness of our staff. I will pass on your kind words.

We hope that you will consider us once again during your next travel plans.

Diane

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
Tampa
Reviewed 26 July 2011

This hotel is in a great location; it was a very easy walk to restaurants, shops, the Chateau Frontenac and nearby attractions. The hotel staff was exceptional; everyone was welcoming, helpful and spoke English. They have a nice restaurant and bar on site. Housekeeping did a good job of keeping my room clean! They also have a concierge that appears to do double-duty as a doorman and bell captain. And they offer complimentary local calls and WIFI, which is a definite plus!

The negatives ...
The rooms have aged furniture, a traditional TV (not flat screen), the bathrooms are tiny, the beds are a bit too hard for my taste, and the walls are SUPER THIN and in need of a new coat of paint.

All this being said, this hotel is a pretty good option if you’re looking for a simple, clean and conveniently located place to spend the night (and have a pair of earplugs to drown out the noise from the hallway, nearby rooms, etc), but I would not recommend you stay here if you’re planning a romantic getaway and intend to spend a lot of time in the room.

Room Tip: Two rooms with the same description & cost may not necessarily look the same!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Hello,

Sorry for the delay in answering to your review. Thank you for taking the time to send in your observations.

The hotel is very well situated in the heart of old Québec city and everything is walking distance. Our housekeeping team works very hard to insure your comfort. I'm also glad to see that the free concierge service was helpful to you.

Our staff makes all the difference in the world with their curtous behaviour and their good knowledge about the surrounding area comes from the heart. All our staff is bilingual and they enjoy helping those that want to practice their french.

Once again thank you for your insight and we hope you enjoy the rest of the summer.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 23 July 2011

We have stayed here three times now, and each stay has never failed to please. It might be the oldest hotel in Quebec, but I'd stack this up against the name brands any day. The location is ideal as a central "home base" for walking around both the old and new city. The staff are always professional, courteous, helpful and smiling. This trip I had an issue with an accidental double online booking and they took the stress away from me in an instant and made everything work. The hotel has a special charm to it, including an inviting comfortable lobby and an even more inviting bar/lounge, where you can sit and listen to live jazz on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights with huge open windows, where, on a summer night, you can sip a drink and listen to the clip clop of the horses outside as the carriages carrying visitors around the old city pass by. The room was ample and comfortable and equally as charming. We will always stay here when we vacation in Quebec city. There is also a convenient garage across the street where you can even park on your own, as there is a passageway to the hotel lobby.

Room Tip: Get the superior room
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
dmartineau, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Clarendon, responded to this review, 24 July 2011
Good day,

Thank you for taking the time to send in your review. It's always nice to receive comments from regular clients because you really know your way around the hotel and your insight is so important to us.

Sorry for the inconveniences caused by the double online booking. I'm glad to see that our front desk agents had the whole situation under control and that they insured your comfort and safety. Our 140 year old historical hotel does have the charm to go with it. Our magnificient lobby, bar and dining room cannot be found elsewhere. You must know that our building is protected by Unesco, so it's authenticity is guarded preciously.

I love the part where you mention the clip clop of the horses as the carriages and coachmen so expertly describe the surroundings. What a unique way to discover the old city.

I will pass on your kind words regarding the cleanliness of the rooms to the housekeeping team as well as to the rest of the staff who did make a difference in your stay.

Thanks for choosing the Clarendon three times in a row and who's counting so why don't you make us part of your next travel plans.

Kind regards,

Toronto
Reviewed 21 July 2011

My wife and I stayed there for our first annaversery. We decided to go with only a couple of weeks notice, and right during a music festival which meant all the B&Bs were booked solid and those that did have rooms would have you move from one to another over the course of your stay.

Found Hotel Clarendon and booked.

I'll start with the good:
- The hotel is RIGHT in the old city, location is fantastic.
- Pricing was middle of the road (got it through a third party website that was abou 25% cheaper than the hotel's best rate)
- The staff was helpful whenever we had a question or needed something.
- Jazz bar was fantastic (though you don't need to stay there to enjoy the bar)
- Breakfastwas decent if uninspiring
The bad:
Ownership appears to have decided not to keep the rooms up to snuff, they seem dated and were poorly constructed when they were originally built:
- Gap between tub and floor
- Chipped towel rack
- Gaps in baseboards
- Tube TV (it wasn't watched, but goes to the upkeep of the room)
- HARD, UNCOMFORTABLE bed.

Would I return:
The beds provided a very restless night. I wouldn't waste my money staying somewhere I can't get a good night's sleep.

1 Thank Kayge
Good day to both of you,

Thank you for sending in your review. all reviews, comment cards and e-mails are read and scrutinized by me.

Management and staff are glad to see that our 140 year old heritage hotel, it's location and it's price fancied you. Our jazz nights are always sizzling and can be enjoyed on thursday, friday and saturday evenings from 9pm to midnight during the summer season and on friday's and saturdays during the winter period.

We have Front desk Agents 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. I'm sure that a quick dial 0 to the front desk would have permitted our staff to assist you with maybe a free ugrade and help from our concierge with the transfer of your luggage. It's always best to handle situation on the spot when we have all of the elements and solutions in front of us.

We are sorry for any inconveniences caused during your stay and we wish you a great summer.

Hertfordshire
Reviewed 20 July 2011

In the centre of Old Quebec this hotel is in a great location. Only stayed there one night since we were with six other relatives who live in Canada taking us on a road trip of the Quebec area. The service provided was great. A request for extra pillows was responded to within minutes. Great ambience in public areas. Drove there, sat nav was invaluable. Bedrooms are reasonable size and clean. Although in great location it is a quiet place. We didn't eat there since we went to a local restaurant for breakfast to get fantastic crepes. Every site that we wanted to see is within a short walk of the Clarendon. Or use the funicular if you don’t fancy the steps. Loved the hotel and Quebec City. Wished we had the opportunity to stay longer.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Hello,

Thank you for sending in a review. I enjoy reading each and every one of them and they are always put to good use in order to continuously upgrade our services.

The Clarendon is 140 years old and I think you chose a great place to stay while visiting our historical city. Everything is walking distance and our free concierge service is available from 7 am to 11 pm 7 days a week. They have all the maps and information necessary to enhance anyone's stay. Crêpes and pure maple syrup..........what a delight.
I'll pass on your appreciation to our houskeepers who do have a major responsibility of insuring the comfort and cleanliness of each unit.

Ascutney, Vermont
Reviewed 20 July 2011

My husband and I, and another couple, stayed here. The staff are superb and the hotel was everything I hoped for. We will be back and we will stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Hello to all four of you,

How nice of you to take some time to send us a quick review. It's great to see that the Hotel Clarendon and it's staff were up to your expectations and that they enhanced your vacation.

We are so well situated in the heart of Old Québec with all the boutiques, museums, restaurants and bars all walking distance.

I don't know if you used our concierge service which is offered between 7am and 11 pm 7 days a week. They can help you out with locations, maps to go and even book reservations for you. All of that done with a smile and a heartfelt sensation.

We're looking forward to greeting you once again and thank you for your input.

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 19 July 2011

great service and value.
fantastic location to explore Quebec City.
Jazz bar was fun.
use the valet parking !

Good morning,

Thank you for your short but precise review. I guess that all was well for you during your stay.

Old Québec city is absolutely stunning and filled with so many treasures to discover. Our concierge service is also free and available between 7am and 11 pm 7 days a week, rain or shine.

We do hope to be part of your travel plans upon your next visit to our heritage city.