“Exceptional location, but so-so hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Clarendon

Hotel Clarendon
Ranked #39 of 101 Hotels in Quebec City
Toledo, Ohio
“Exceptional location, but so-so hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2011

Let me be clear: Hotel Clarendon's location is one of the best in Quebec City. It's a quick walk to virtually any destination in the Old City. The hotel is also charming and a historical attraction in its own right.

However, I was frankly disappointed. This is not a boutique hotel and it is not a four-star hotel, as some websites advertise. The staff are friendly, but they are few and far between and very overworked. The bellmen are also the concierge -- which makes for a poor amalgamation. During the late morning and afternoon, the bellman are too busy to provide anything more than basic advice and the front desk, at least when I was there, was generally only staffed by one person. One evening I requested a simple dinner recommendation and the staff couldn't give me the name of a good French restaurant, which was hard to believe. I was told the concierge would help me, but the bellman was too busy with bags and valet parking. After 15 minutes, I became so frustrated that I went to the Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac and pretended to be a guest there. (The concierge is superb, by the way.)

The hotel is clean and well maintained despite its age. The rooms weren't as small as I expected. The bed, as other reviewers said, is hard and firm, but I slept well. I spent most of my day exploring Quebec City by foot, so the room didn't see much use. My only complaint was the odor from the window when I opened it up. It smelled like there was mildew in the window between the glass. (I'm guessing it isn't opened too much.)

My biggest disappointment came on arrival and departure. Even though many hotels claim check-in time is 3 or 4 o'clock in the afternoon, they will generally allow you to check-in and get a room at early as 9 or 10 in the morning if one is ready. When I tried checking in at 12:30 p.m., I was told my room wouldn't be ready until 4 o'clock. This seemed to be a substantial delay. The hotel didn't seem that busy. If I had to guess, I'd say the housekeeping staff is short on personnel, as that seemed to be a recurring theme throughout the hotel's different departments.

On the morning I was scheduled to depart, I requested a late check-out -- something that most hotels allow -- but was told I had to be out of my room by 12:30 p.m. To me this wasn't accommodating, especially when I wasn't able to check-in until 4 o'clock the previous afternoon. So in essence, I paid well over a hundred dollars for 18 hours -- four hours less than a full day. This was disappointing and forced me to leave Quebec City a little earlier than expected.

While this isn't a four-star hotel, it is a reasonably nice three-star hotel with a lot of charm and history. I would consider staying here again if the rate was reasonable (I wouldn't pay more than $120 a night). If you want luxury, consider the Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac or the newer Hilton or Delta just outside the Old City halls at the Quebec Parliament.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank planetraincar

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2011

This is an older hotel, but thoroughly updated. Right in the heart of the old city, convenient to all sightseeing destinations. Our twin room was a generous size for two adults, though I noticed some families (two adults and two small children) and thought they might be less comfortable. Breakfast is not included, but reasonable if you book the day before, and very good - bacon, sausage, ham, eggs, crepes, potatoes, rolls juice and coffee, buffet style.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank margotvirginia_11
dmartineau, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Clarendon, responded to this review, 9 August 2011
Hello,

Thank you for sending in your observations.

I'm glad that you were charmed by the hotel as well as it's location. We do have many twin size rooms and it is possible to add a cot if ever necessary for a young adult or child.

We have many different packages which include breakfast and dinner in the evening. I'm glad that you enjoyed the variety found in our buffet, i'll pass on the word to our chef.

Keep on enjoying your summer and please do make us part of your next travel plans.

Diane

Once again thank you for choosing the Clarendon and we look forward to seeing you in the near futur.

Halifax
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

I liked staying here, i liked it because I'm used to staying in new hotels. I didnt know what to expect with such an old hotel but I was impressed. Clean rooms, friendly staff, great location. The only downsides were small room (does'nt matter because you're out walking around most of the time anyways), and as expected it's an old hotel so lots of creaks. But all in all I enjoyed my stay there!!

• Stayed July 2011
      Location
      Rooms
Hello,

I'm glad to see that you enjoyed your stay in our historical hotel. It's true that some rooms are bigger than others but all are clean and offer all the necessary commodities.

Management and staff thank you for choosing the Clarendon and we're looking forward to greeting you once again.

Hamden, CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2011

If Old World Charm and a great location in Vieux Quebec are what you want, then the Clarendon Hotel is perfect. With restaurants, shops, the Chateau Frontenac, and other attractions in walking distance and a bus stop directly across from the hotel, the location couldn’t be better.
We had rooms on the sixth floor with great views from our “porthole” windows. Rooms are small but adequate with oddly angled bathrooms; free WiFi and flat screen TVs provide the modern touch. Two elevators service the hotel and both are slow.
The concierge and reception desk staff are friendly and helpful. Maid service ends in the afternoon and twice, rooms were not made up all day. The bathtubs are extremely slippery and we had to request rubber bath mats which did arrive the next morning ,but only after multiple reminders.
Breakfast tickets are a bargain, at $13 vs $17 for the a la carte breakfast. We were not informed of this option on check-in but learned about it after our first breakfast. The elegantly-presented and bountiful buffet includes 2 kinds of scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, potatoes, baked beans, crepes, croissants, pain au chocolat, muffins, toast, juice, cereals, fruit and yogurt parfaits. Coffee was served and replenished frequently all morning by cheerful young wait staff.
The dining room itself is gorgeous with dark wood paneling, nice windows, and pretty Queen Anne chairs and tables. Lunch and dinner and live jazz were available but we didn’t try these.
The price of the rooms, with one queen or two doubles, was $180. Parking was $25 per day. Nearby self parking is $15. Taxes at 17% really add up, so keep this in mind.
For European charm, location, and courteous service, we would happily return.

Room Tip: Views from the 6th floor, facing the Hotel de Ville, were very pretty.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Hello,

Thank you for sending in your review. Every review is read and taken very seriously. I'm glad that you fell in love with your surroundings, it is quite unique. The Clarendon is a hestoric building which is closely guarded by Unesco so the old world charm does have a place within the walls.

I'm sorry for the inconveniences caused with the delay in bringing up the rubber bath mats. Also all of our agents usually automatically offer it to our arriving guests so I'm sorry if there was a missunderstanding about that.

I'll pass on your comments regarding the quality of our buffet and the appreciated attention that your received in the main dining room. It's nice to k now that you enjoyed your room and it's location which offered you a beautiful view.

Our free jazz evenings are thursday, friday and saturdays between 9pm and midnight.

We are looking forward to greeting you upon your next trip to Québec city.

New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2011

Stayed at this Hotel in July of 2011. Unfortunately, the hotel had its front name sign covered by scaffolding, so don't accidentally miss it! You have to park in front of the hotel to unload, and then use valet parking. I generally don't use valet parking, but felt I had too in this instance, because I could not see any available parking anywhere in the Old City. I still don't know where they hid my car, but I did get it back in one piece when I left. The hotel lobby is beautiful and the service exceptional. The rooms were clean and adequate. The hotel is situated right near the most attractive parts of the Old City of Quebec, which are an easy walking distance away. This hotel was quite a bargain for its location.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Hello,

Thank you for sending in some feedback. The Clarendon is 140 years old and our front door Marquise is going through a makeover. The exterior of the building is closely guarded by Unesco for the preservation of Québecs' heritage. We appologize for any inconveniences.

You do have the option to park yourself or use our free valet service. The parking space is right in front of the hotel and has easy access with a hallway that connects the hotel to the indoor parking area.

The lobby, bar and main dining room have also kept their art deco charm. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay, the location as well as the friendliness of our staff. I will pass on your kind words.

We hope that you will consider us once again during your next travel plans.

Tampa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2011

This hotel is in a great location; it was a very easy walk to restaurants, shops, the Chateau Frontenac and nearby attractions. The hotel staff was exceptional; everyone was welcoming, helpful and spoke English. They have a nice restaurant and bar on site. Housekeeping did a good job of keeping my room clean! They also have a concierge that appears to do double-duty as a doorman and bell captain. And they offer complimentary local calls and WIFI, which is a definite plus!

The negatives ...
The rooms have aged furniture, a traditional TV (not flat screen), the bathrooms are tiny, the beds are a bit too hard for my taste, and the walls are SUPER THIN and in need of a new coat of paint.

All this being said, this hotel is a pretty good option if you’re looking for a simple, clean and conveniently located place to spend the night (and have a pair of earplugs to drown out the noise from the hallway, nearby rooms, etc), but I would not recommend you stay here if you’re planning a romantic getaway and intend to spend a lot of time in the room.

Room Tip: Two rooms with the same description & cost may not necessarily look the same!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Hello,

Sorry for the delay in answering to your review. Thank you for taking the time to send in your observations.

The hotel is very well situated in the heart of old Québec city and everything is walking distance. Our housekeeping team works very hard to insure your comfort. I'm also glad to see that the free concierge service was helpful to you.

Our staff makes all the difference in the world with their curtous behaviour and their good knowledge about the surrounding area comes from the heart. All our staff is bilingual and they enjoy helping those that want to practice their french.

Once again thank you for your insight and we hope you enjoy the rest of the summer.

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2011

We have stayed here three times now, and each stay has never failed to please. It might be the oldest hotel in Quebec, but I'd stack this up against the name brands any day. The location is ideal as a central "home base" for walking around both the old and new city. The staff are always professional, courteous, helpful and smiling. This trip I had an issue with an accidental double online booking and they took the stress away from me in an instant and made everything work. The hotel has a special charm to it, including an inviting comfortable lobby and an even more inviting bar/lounge, where you can sit and listen to live jazz on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights with huge open windows, where, on a summer night, you can sip a drink and listen to the clip clop of the horses outside as the carriages carrying visitors around the old city pass by. The room was ample and comfortable and equally as charming. We will always stay here when we vacation in Quebec city. There is also a convenient garage across the street where you can even park on your own, as there is a passageway to the hotel lobby.

Room Tip: Get the superior room
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
dmartineau, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Clarendon, responded to this review, 24 July 2011
Good day,

Thank you for taking the time to send in your review. It's always nice to receive comments from regular clients because you really know your way around the hotel and your insight is so important to us.

Sorry for the inconveniences caused by the double online booking. I'm glad to see that our front desk agents had the whole situation under control and that they insured your comfort and safety. Our 140 year old historical hotel does have the charm to go with it. Our magnificient lobby, bar and dining room cannot be found elsewhere. You must know that our building is protected by Unesco, so it's authenticity is guarded preciously.

I love the part where you mention the clip clop of the horses as the carriages and coachmen so expertly describe the surroundings. What a unique way to discover the old city.

I will pass on your kind words regarding the cleanliness of the rooms to the housekeeping team as well as to the rest of the staff who did make a difference in your stay.

Thanks for choosing the Clarendon three times in a row and who's counting so why don't you make us part of your next travel plans.

Kind regards,