“A disappointing experience”
Review of Hotel Clarendon

Hotel Clarendon
Ranked #35 of 102 Hotels in Quebec City
Reviewed 28 September 2013

We spent two nights at Hotel Clarendon & were very disappointed with our visit. The initial reception by the Concierge & Bell Boy was very welcoming although we arrived at the same time as a coach party & they were very busy. Our luggage was delivered to our room promptly. The small room had two double beds & we had booked one double room. One of the beds was up against the wall & there was very little room between the beds There was a very small window too high for me to see out of (I am 5 ft) overlooking rooftops. There was no kettle so I went down to request one in order to make a cup of tea. (There were 2 tea bags as well as coffee provided) The receptionist was extremely rude & difficult & told me to get hot water from the tap in the bathroom! I do not think her English comprehension is very good but that was irrelevant because I speak French. She did not want to know! She said I should have seen the Concierge & I told her that he was busy. I then waited to speak to him. He said I should ask at the desk! He did arrange for hot water to be sent to our room but I did not bother to ask again. We were tired on arrival but the next morning I noticed 8 long black or brown hairs on the bathroom floor. (We both have white very short hair) My husband said ' Leave it because the room will be cleaned. Do not make a fuss!') When we returned to the room later there were still 3 hairs on the floor. I picked them up & put them on a tissue & took them down to the reception desk to complain & request that housekeeping be informed. There was little reaction but later I had a telephone call apologising & saying we could not have a refund as the room had been prepaid but we would not be charged the 50$ for 2 nights car parking. When we left we filled in the comments form & stated that the room was disappointing & the state of cleanliness was not up to our standard. We did receive an email later that day offering us one free night including breakfast in a superior room. This is totally ridiculous as we will certainly not be going that way again, Canada being rather a long way from the UK! Having contacted our travel agent we were told we should have asked for a better room but we are not difficult people & do not complain. I will in future!! The staff are proud of the fact that it is the oldest hotel in Quebec & the public rooms were lovely. When we arrived there were workmen digging up the road outside the front of the hotel. The next morning the road was closed & a huge hole had been dug outside across the road. Everywhere was covered in choking dust & I think we should have been warned that this was going to take place. I would not advise anyone to stay at the Clarendon. We were asked where we had come from at our next hotel. When we said 'The Clarendon' the receptionist said she had a couple two weeks before who had not been happy with their stay there.

Room Tip: Don't book here. Choose another hotel!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Ève B, Front Office Manager at Hotel Clarendon, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2013

Thank you for having taken the time to write a comment about our hotel.

I am sincerely sorry that your stay did not reach your expectations. The way you described the service that you have received is definetely not the one we try to provide each guest with.

Thank you so much for you stay and you can be sure that there is gonna be a follow up to make sure that a situation like this does not happen again.

Reviewed 28 September 2013

Being my first time in Quebec City, I took a chance when choosing this hotel as I got a good price thru booking.com. LOVED this place. As a solo female traveler, it certainly exceeded my expectations. Although I spoke little to no french, the mostly young, good looking front desk and concierge staff were very friendly, polite, professional and accommodating. I really lucked out as this hotel is situated smack in the middle of Old Quebec in Upper Town....minutes from the funicular and St. Jean and St. Louis streets. The lobby was pretty and inviting. I hope the owner realizes what a gem he has with Jonathan, who went out of his way to help me many times, even after his shift was done. Similarly, Julian and the concierge staff were also very helpful and friendly. My 2nd flr. room was clean, quaint and a perfect size for a solo traveler like myself, with two large windows looking out. ( It's a shame the view was of construction; hopefully that will be gone soon.) The only con I have is the mattress was FIRM and I'm used a pillow top. Otherwise, would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Ève B, Front Office Manager at Hotel Clarendon, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2013

Thank you very much for your review ! It is more than appreciated that you took the time to write on Tripadvisor and on our Facebook !

Our employees always do their best to make every guests special. You can be assured this wonderful comment will be forwarded to the staff. We hope you will have the opportunity to come back in our beautiful city and in our hotel !

Reviewed 27 September 2013

They didn't took reservation confirmed by e-mail, on proper dates, first arriving, no room, than after waiting for ages, they sent to room not cleaned. This was arrival of brides's father to wedding...

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank CastonguayM

Thank you very much for your review.

We are sincerely sorry for the inconvenience you have experienced at your arrival. We hope that the little attention we gave you as well as the discount on your room rate erased some of these bad memories, and that you enjoyed the rest of your stay.

Reviewed 25 September 2013

Positives are location, comfy beds and helpful reception staff

Negatives are very small and cramped rooms (I broke a toenail trying to get to toilet in night and my wife banged her shin on protruding metal under bed on first day), waste bins are not emptied, card lock on door traps fingers, they did not replenish toiletries daily, only one lift which is used by clients and service staff, slow and non existent service at breakfast on two out of three days

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank M9498QMdavidw
Ève B, Front Office Manager at Hotel Clarendon, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2013

First of all, I would like to thank you for your comment. All of them are read as they help us to provide a better service and product day after day to our guests.

I am sorry to read the room you were assigned to was not meeting your expectations. There are 143 rooms in the hotel and they are all pretty different. Regarding other inconvenience that you have experienced, you can be assured that the fallow up will be made with the concerned departments.

Finally, I am glad you have appreciated the comfort of the beds, the location and the service in general.

Again, thank you for your review and we hope you will give us a second chance in a near future.

Reviewed 25 September 2013

I spent five nights at the Clarendon Hotel in Old Quebec City. I had a delightful stay. My room was so comfortable -- yes a bit on the small side but quaint and very clean. It was not noisy neither from outside nor inside the hotel. I loved the art deco features of the hotel including the old world charm of the place. I would definitely return and strongly recommend it for any traveller wishing for a real Quebec City experience. The staff were friendly and very helpful too.
All round excellent rating!
Anne-Marie Tynan.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the old Church -- there's a donkey and goat behind the walls of the c...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this wonderful review !

I am glad to read that you had a great stay at the hotel Clarendon. We strive to offer the best option to our guests, our staff is striving to be as helpful as possible.

We hope that we will count you amongst our returning guests again soon !

Reviewed 23 September 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this lovely old hotel. We had a superior queen-size bedroom which was spacious, had good and comfortable furnishings, as well as lots of storage space. Situated right in the centre of the old city, it was in easy walking reach of all the sights, information centre, restaurants and shopping streets. We had wi-fi access that worked well in our room as well as public areas. The meals in the dining room were very good. The costs for the accommodation and the meals were on par with what was offered in other restaurants in the area. Overall the costs and the quality of the hotel were value for money. The staff were also most helpful and welcoming, and their English language abilities were very good.

Room Tip: Choose a superior queen-size room.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Good day,

Indeed, our location is very hard to beat. We only hire bilingual staff because communication is the basis of all good relationships and we want to make sure that our staff can be as attentive as possible.

Thank you very much for this wonderful review and we are looking forward to seeing you again.

Regards,

Reviewed 19 September 2013

This hotel may be Quebec City's oldest but it is badly in need of some updating. Many of the rooms are ridiculously small and badly furnished. On the positive side, the bed was comfortable enough. There is no business centre, and, though they do offer free wireless, I could not get online for the three days I was there. Another positive is its location; right in the heart of the old city and just a short block from the fabulous Hotel Frontenac and the lovely promenade that overlooks the river.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Ève B, Front Office Manager at Hotel Clarendon, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel!

We are glad that you enjoyed the benefits of our location and that you had a good night of sleep. Next time you come, it will be a pleasure for us to make you visit and discover our larger rooms.

We are sorry that you had problems with internet. Thanks to feedbacks from our customers, we have taken actions in order to improve this service. Also, for those who do not bring their computer while traveling, there is one available in the lobby for our guests.

We hope to see you back soon and thanks again for your stay