“Wonderful Stay!”

Ranked #50 of 101 Hotels in Quebec City
dallas, texas
“Wonderful Stay!”
Reviewed 11 October 2012

We got a room here at the last minute as opposed to staying in one of the smaller, b&b type hotels in upper town. This was a wise choice! Only a few blocks from cafes, shops and sites made this a great location. The staff was ready to assist us with our every need which we really appreciated. The room was spacious, modern and comfortable. We got lucky and were given a room with the most beautiful view of the St. Lawrence River and the Chateau Frontenac. Don't get discourage Chen you walk in and see the lobby. To me, it looked a little dated, but the rooms are all updated. My only complaint would be the charge for wifi in the room. It is about $14 unless you want to use the free wifi in the lobby. It is nice to have a free wifi option, but I feel that it should be free for hotel guests considering the price we paid. All in all, we really enjoyed our stay here and plan on staying again when we come back for the Winter Carnival.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank eyerep74

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
tarpon springs
Reviewed 11 October 2012

and if you enjoy history then you will too. Bring a great set of walking shoes. The Loews hotel provides an american type stay outside of the Old City yet close to everything. Outside the hotels door are a selection of at least two dozen eating establishments and great nightlife, yet close enough to the cobble streets of old city. We found the hotel nice but dated somewhat, nothing that we would really rave about. The gym if you could call it that had some very outdated equipment and was very confining. The top floor of the hotel is their circular restaurant which offers great views of the city, yet we found the high priced buffet on Saturday evening to be just adequate. The lounge on the first floor made great drinks and the staff were very helpful on discussing other great dining selections. Yes, I love Quebec but am not sure Loews will be part of my next visit.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank buildinnj
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 8 October 2012

Just finished Thanksgiving long weekend in Quebec City with 2 teenage girls and my mother (60+). We booked a package through VIA Rail which included train travel and hotel at Loews le Concorde. The train trip was very good - quick efficient with decent food options for a price. At first I was worried about not being in Business class since a 9 hour train ride can be rather uncomfortable if cramped, however because of assigned seating and decent leg room there was nothing to worry about (and included Free Wi-fi!). The taxi to the hotel from the train station cost $10.00 and was pretty quick. Check in at the hotel was fast and friendly (Patrick was very helpful and kind). The lobby was pretty however pleasing aesthetics stop there. The room was clean but in no way should be categorized as luxury, functional at best. There is no exhaust in the shower making it very hot, the sink space was crowded and the tub needs new caulking. The sink leaked and the drainage was poor. My mother found the beds hard; I was okay. Ice machines are only on 4 floors of the hotel so you may have a bit of a walk to get ice. Wi-fi is free in the lobby, but in your room it costs 15.00 a day! We had to call for service help on multiple occassions and while the response was prompt and courteous, we should not have had to ask for towles, glassess etc as these things should have already been there.

The views from the room however are wonderful and as other reviews point out the location of the hotel is good – 12 min walk to the old city. Know that the pool is outdoor, and although heated still very chilly coming in and out. The Jacuzzi was in door and comfortable but small.
Food is expensive at the hotel so we decided to forego the experience and eat breakfast next door at Cosmos. Reasonably priced, fast service and good food!

On the first night, for dinner, we ate at the Spanish restaurant beside Cosmos, Copas--VERY disappointing. My mother found the restaurant dark so difficult to see what she was eating. If you have never had Paella, you may be impressed. If you know what it should taste like you will not be pleased. The desserts were made with water instead of milk, but the vegetable soup and the sangria were tasty. A bit expensive however as dinner ran over 120.00 with only one drink.
On our last day we decided to eat dinner at Cochon Dingue. The hotel recommended it as it was a short 10min walk away. The food was very good and the atmosphere very pleasant. Very reasonably priced with good options for vegetarians. Try the sugar pie!!! We decided to go back for breakfast the next day and again were not disappointed. The Eggs Benedict was wonderful as were the muffins and the jam—made in house!

We did a 2hour city tour which was very good! Not only did you see the major tourist attractions but the guide also gave a lot of history and detail particular to local culture.

If you stay at the Lowes know that you are staying at a nice, 3.5 star hotel. It does not provide the accommodations of a luxury hotel and the amenities in the room are non-existent. However if you want a nice, clean hotel with wonderful views and in a great location, stay here.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank tsahai85
Vancouver
Reviewed 5 October 2012

Quebec City is a must see for every Canadian interested in our profound history –– to think that a 20 minute battle in 1759 shaped the destiny of the entire continent of the new world, Canada and the United States alike, astounding. We visit every chance we get, and always wowed by its beauty every time. Since this trip involved business as well, we stayed at Le Concorde, and found the hotel perfectly acceptable, even though it needs a major update, especially the bathrooms, which in our room at least, was decidedly old-fashioned, tiny and tired. As usual we asked for a corner room, and were given one, and even though it didn't have windows on two sides (a stairwell occupies the actual corner), it did give protection from corridor and neighbour noise, as the rooms are not sound-proof, alas. Our room was above the 20th floor, and had an outstanding view directly towards the Chateau Frontenac, the Citadel, much of the Plains of Abraham, the St Lawrence, Levis, and in the distance, Ile d'Orleans: beautiful. This view does much to make up for other deficiencies. Le Concorde is a short walk from everything you want to see: special highlights include the small Jardin de Jeanne d'Arc, the extensive Champs de Bataille, and the magnificent Hotel de Parlement modelled on the Louvre which houses the Assemblee Nationale –– take a tour of the great interior and look closely at the sculptures honouring major figures, both English and French, and the magnificent bronze fountain in front. Le Concorde is also a short walk from the Musee Nationale des Beaux Arts with its permanent exhibition of the great work of Jean-Paul Riopelle. A must see. And then of course, a short walk from the restaurants along le Grande Allee, from all the treasures and pleasures of Old Quebec, both upper and lower towns. A final note: the revolving restaurant on the top floor offers breathtaking views of all of Quebec and its surrounds, so well worth a visit. The service is good, and the breakfast buffet at $20 per person is reasonably priced, and the food acceptable, though not great. The staff throughout are wonderful and all have that unique Quebecois charm and friendliness, and all are fluent in English, which at times is a drag as I didn't always get a chance to practice my French. Vive le Quebec!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
petd0c
Reviewed 5 October 2012

I just checked out of Loews Le Concorde Hotel where I was attending a medical conference. Enjoyed my short stay. The rooms are nicely appointed with comfortable beds. I had a King Superior room with a beautiful view. The check in staff were wonderful and helpful. The conference facilities are very nice and the rooms were well set up for a large audience. My only negative comment was that I ordered room service which took over 2 hours to come! Once it did come, I noticed the glass of wine I ordered was not correct (ordered white and received red). The gentleman who brought the meal immediately went back down to the bar and brought me the correct wine, so that was very prompt and great service there. Other than a long wait for room service, I think this hotel was excellent and would recommend this for anyone coming to Quebec .

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Port Hope, Canada
Reviewed 5 October 2012

This is our second stay at this hotel in 6 years and I will say that the staff has improved immensely since our last stay. We checked in and out with ease and the staff were all polite and courteous. Our room was average and as I noted on a prior review, we too could hear every conversation in the room next door. As we were only here for three nights we didn't bother to complain, and it was a single person so the noise wasn't unbearable, just felt like we had no privacy. The rooms are tired and I felt that the rooms were not very clean. We also found the bed extremely uncomfortable and neither my husband nor I slept well during our stay. Our bathroom was dated and the shampoo and soap were not replenished. As I left my shampoo at home in error this became an issue and I went out and bought shampoo. My daughter did swim in the rooftop pool and she loved it however, it was closed due to inclement weather as it is on the rooftop. The view is fabulous. The food from room service was not great and I found that the store in the lobby was ridiculously expensive. You really have no choice as there wasn't a convenience store nearby and I bought juice and snacks for over $3.00 each item for my young daughter. You expect a mark up but I found it excessive. The good thing about this hotel is the location. The restaurants nearby are amazing and it is a short walk to the old town and plains of Abraham. I wouldn't stay here again by choice and the reason we stayed here this time was my husbands conference was staying at this hotel. I will also agree with a prior comment that bus tours do stay here often so be ready for rude pushy orientals.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Toronto, Canada
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,307 helpful votes
Reviewed 29 September 2012

I would rate this property and the experience here as okay. The location is quite convenient for exploring Quebec City particularly the Plains of Abraham, the old walled city and some of the small communities that seem to thrive within the city itself. The hotel itself is fine but I would not say that there is anything particularly special about it. The staff were friendly enough. The rooms are modern and clean. I wouldn't recomment the revolving restaurant as it is very pricey. This is a good business hotel, for history give the Chateau Frontenac a try, we did on our last night and were very impressed.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple