“Perfect boutique hotel... I love it” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Le Germain Quebec

Hotel Le Germain Quebec
Ranked #7 of 101 Hotels in Quebec City
Denver, Colorado
“Perfect boutique hotel... I love it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2012

I always love to stay in boutique hotel or design hotel. This one is great. Good and quiet location, incredible room design. The service is as always in Quebec so nice even more if you can speak French directly with the hotel staff.

The breakfast is amazing like in France with good bread and espresso...

I will come back for sure and I highly recommend this place...

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank WorldSkiing

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2012

Stayed one night for a business trip.

Lots of PROs:
- very warm welcome
- professional and courteous staff at the front desk (very important to me)
- well located in charming ''Vieux Quebec'', on a quiet but safe-looking street.
- very nice design (hotel and rooms), European feel (love that!)
- chic, sexy and luxurious feel but classy and discrete at the same time (much better than big chain hotels)
- impeccable clean rooms (except for one detail, see cons below)
- other occupants seemed nice, respectful and smiley as well (for me, it means that they were also having a good experience. I also value respectful and happy neighbours)
- the staff is very accommodating and they can put you on a waiting list (and they will call you back if a room becomes available!)
- delicious high-quality Continental-style breakfast buffet
- drink prices are reasonable unlike at other hotels

Some CONs:
- as soon as I arrived, I found a dirty shirt on the floor next to my bed, probably from the previous occupant!! (ewww...) Since I was just too tired to notify the front desk, I just threw it out in the bin.
- the room was not very well lit e.g. lots of small lamps of various intensities which is great for a customized lighting but sometimes it was hard to find the light switches and honestly, when you are tired from a business trip you don't want to spend so much time looking for them.
- the amenities could be improved. They give hand soap but I personally prefer hand washing gels because soap is very drying, especially in the harsh Quebec winter.
- Slippers not provided. At least I didn't find any in my room. I think this details is important because it contributes to making you feel ''at home''. Didn't bother calling the Front Desk to ask because I was there for a quick stay.
- the bathroom floor was suuper cold in the morning. Make sure to adjust the room temperature before you go to bed.
- lobby felt a tiny bit small (but you don't stay there a long time anyway)
- gets busy (RSVP well in advance if possible - I guess this is a ''good'' problem since it shows that it is a quality hotel)
- this one is maybe not their fault but they called a cab for me and the car smelled like horse poo. (ewww...). Thankfully, it was a short trip.

Other notes:
- Not all rooms have a full bathroom with a bathtub. Make sure to read the room details when booking. And the shower is awesome!
- There are phones in the toilets. Just a weird detail.
- You have to go to the lobby to eat your breakfast and since it is a bit small, you end up eating at the same table with stranger. So, if you are the type of person who is not very sociable in the morning, I highly recommend you order room service or you could go get your breakfast plate and eat it in your room.

Overall: enjoyed my stay very much but I might try other boutique hotels in Quebec to compare the quality.

Room Tip: Not all rooms have a bathtub, make sure to read all the room details and book your room according to...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Detail_0riented
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2012

As a young professional, I got to stay in many big chain hotels before on business trips. Hotel Germain Dominion was my first boutique hotel experience and I really enjoyed my stay. The service was impeccable and the place had a warm and inviting feeling. I was impressed with the room layout and the professionalism of the service. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day for me. I was surprised by the food quality served in the morning. It really got me going to a good start. I highly recommend this place to anyone visiting Quebec City. Looking forward to returning.

2 Thank Pawel M
SylvieD492, General Manager at Hotel Le Germain Quebec, responded to this review, 23 November 2012
Dear Pawel M.,

Your comments are precious to us and I will happily pass them along to my team.

I am glad you enjoyed your first boutique hotel experience especially since I think we were booked initially and, leaving your name on our waitlist, we were able to confirm your reservation.

Should you wish to experience another boutique hotel stay, I am happy to let you know that we also have properties in Montreal on Mansfield Street, Toronto and Calgary, and you will always be welcome at Le Germain-Dominion.

Warmest regards,

Sylvie
Santa Rosa, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2012

I booked this hotel seeing that it was near the cruise port. I did not want to pay for another taxi ride in Quebec.
This was the perfect hotel for us to stay in before our cruise. The rooms were modern and ellegant. You have Kurig type coffee makers in the room, plus a fridge, plenty of bottled water and a mini bar including snack foods. Yes they did charge extra for most of the snacks and alcohol, but the water was free.
The linens and mattress were very very comfy. Breakfast was included. It was in the main hotel lobby where they had several tables, couches, chairs and one large table all done up in beautiful woods neutral tones. You had a choice of several types of coffee, tea, juice, pasteries, hard cooked eggs, breads, jams, toast, fruit, oatmeal, cold cereal, milk, cheeses, yogurt and more. You serve yourself. Everything about this hotel was first class including the staff who were extremely helpful. The hotel was about a 5 minute walk to the finicular and sereral restaurants, bars and shops. But the best part was we had a 2 block walk to the cruise terminal. Just perfect! I would certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: We only asked for a queen size bed. The view was not much, so I suggest if you want a nice view ask...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank timetravler63
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2012

The hotel is located in the heart of the Lower City, close to the stairs or funicular leading to the Upper City. I found the shops in the Lower City to be more interesting than in the Upper City. Rue St. Paul is lined with a variety of eating places, and runs next to the hotel -- we ate at 3 restaurants on this street. After walking all over the city during the day, I love the convenience of having dinner just outside the hotel, then rolling back in and going to bed.

The room was very large. No noise from outside or from neighboring rooms. Breakfast buffet is very basic, but enough to get you going in the morning. There are no conventional tables and chairs for eating breakfast, just a few communal tables, along with some easy chairs and coffee tables. While I like the concept of sitting in an easy chair or on a stool around a communal table for breakfast, the appeal sometimes wanes when I'm forced to be so close to strangers so early in the morning.

I usually don't like dark hotel rooms, but this one had sufficient lights in all the right places. The bathroom was large, and had ample shelf room for toiletries. The shower was spacious, with good water pressure, nice shampoo and soap in easy-to-use pumps mounted on the shower wall. And only minimal water leak onto the bathroom floor from under the shower door.

FYI: there are no banks in the Lower City, but there is an ATM at the gas station around the corner from the hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TravelerPhiladelphia
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2012 via mobile

The hotel is in a beautiful old building, part of it was an old bank. High ceilings, large windows, spacious rooms with brand new bathrooms and modern touches throughout. The staff are extremely helpful and eager to please. The continental breakfast was more than ample with fresh croissant, cheeses, fresh fruit, etc. delicious coffee too!

The location is superb too. Just a sort walk to all the sights in the old city and right in the heart of the lower town.

• Stayed November 2012
3 Thank ViajeroPHL
montrealbis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2012

I stayed there only for a short night.
The hotel wants to be in the luxury category... I cannot deny that it is very refined, with numerous very nice features (like a nice expresso maker in each room, and a free (but very simple) breakfast in the lobby). However, I was put off by its style...it is truly personnal and therefore would not apply to everyone, but I don't like the decoration which is supposedly stylish : I had the feeling of being in a Leon furniture store (in the high end section!). My room was filled with light switches and it somewhat enerving to find out which one does what. Overall, the room was very poorly lit, and it is so dark that I could not read anywhere else except in bed. The bathroom was also very dark (careful when you shave!). I really do not need to have 'elevator' music in my room when I arrive...then I have to battle with the radio to shut it off.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank jerry68bis
SylvieD492, General Manager at Hotel Le Germain Quebec, responded to this review, 14 November 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your comments with us and I am glad you feel that a lot of what we offer is to your entire satisfaction such as value, cleanliness and service.

The rooms are located in two different buildings offering two different decors and different views. If you like more natural day light, I recommend the rooms with classic contemporary decor. All of our built-in furniture is designed and manufactured exclusively for us, by renowned local professionals. A beautiful Artemid floor lamp is placed in each room with a confortable chair for reading; specific lighting is also available for bed reading or desk reading/working.

Maybe you did not stay long enough to appreciate everything or should come back summer time when the sun is very bright.

A la prochaine,