“The most romantic Christmas Night ever !”

Hotel Le Germain Quebec
Ranked #10 of 102 Hotels in Quebec City
Montreal, Canada
“The most romantic Christmas Night ever !”
Reviewed 3 January 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Germain-Dominion on Christmas Day. We were visiting family in Quebec city and wanted to splurge on a nice hotel for Christmas night. Even if the hotel can be a bit tricky to find with all the one-way streets in the area, boy were we happy to see it. I way plainly ecstatic when I saw our room. We booked the Superior Room Queen (theirs least expensive) and it was beautiful and huge. The bathroom with its huge shower with rainfall shower is to die for. Upon our return from our Christmas dinner, we sat in front of the fire in the foyer where we took a glass of wine. Talk about a perfect Christmas night, and so romantic. The following day, we truly enjoyed the complimentary continental breakfast with fresh croissants (real flaky ones), fruits, yogurt, cottage cheese, hard boiled eggs, along with a perfect latte from the very good machine in the lobby. I can't wait to go again. This time, I will book a 2 nights stay to truly enjoy the hotel.

2 Thank MDMontreal1983

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Chambly, Québec
Reviewed 2 January 2011

Altough I often sleep in Quebec city on business I had never stayed in the lower town. My wife and I decided at Christmas that we would like to go to Quebec City for the new year. This hotel had been recommended by friends and Tripadvisor reviews were excellent so we chose this hotel. The staff was more than perfect -- certainly the best hotel staff I have ever had to deal with. The coffee and hot chocolate (especially) were good. The hotel foyer was comfortable. The clientele was polite and well behaved. The continental breakfast was the best I have ever had in a hotel.

We had room 802, top floor, riverside. Very comfortable and charming. A nice balance of history and contemporary. This room has a shower-bath. From what I have read not all rooms are so equipped

We found all the nice galleries and stores and excellent restaurants that we needed. Really an awesome location.

A good parking and afordable (19$ a night) is also a plus in that part of the city.

Two notes though: the noise from the maid doing next door's room; also there is no 24hrs in room meals (no restaurant on the location in fact but they do offer some meals until 22h00) which was not a problem for us.

We spent two nights there and will go back next time we stay in Quebec City.

1 Thank Slacoste
Bangor, Maine
Reviewed 11 December 2010

I live, and grew up, in Maine, so Quebec City has always been something of an easy fix when I need a getaway: why fly to France when I can drive to Quebec? I'll admit that the first few times I went, I was in high school, so the allure was more about being served beer than being in Quebec, and the youth hostel (which is very good, by the way) was all I needed. Ten years after my first trip there, my tastes have become slightly more sophisticated, and so when I was feeling like getting away for a weekend last January I decided to upgrade to the Dominion. My god, what a good choice.

I don't know how they do it, really. It's sleek without being cold; modern without being confounding; lux without being stuffy; comforting without being cloying. They strike the perfect balance between brilliance and unobtrusiveness. The staff were friendly, helpful, courteous, engaged. When asked for, suggestions and recommendations were made with a sense of "they really want me to enjoy myself," rather than "going through the motions." Every request I had was handled promptly and professionally. They were stellar.

The room...oh, the room. I went for a deluxe and ended up with a huge market-side room on one of the upper floors, with a glorious and unobstructed view of the market, the river, and upper Quebec (including the Frontenac) just ahead. The bathroom was serene and well-appointed, the king bed was exquisitely comfortable, and the decor tasteful and elegant. The only quibble, and it's truly a minor one, is that the TV was an older tube version rather than flat panel, but the spot for the TV in the furniture looked like it was designed with squarish old televisions (rather than widescreens) in mind. In any case, I didn't watch much TV while I was there, so it is, truly, a small complaint.

The lobby is wonderful. There are big, cozy chairs and couches in front of a fireplace to sink into with a book and a latte (complimentary, from the machine in the lobby). It's comfortable and quiet enough to actually enjoy this way, unlike most hotel lobbies, which I usually find to be either chaotic or stiff. Here, I actually spent some time hanging out there.

The location can't be better. It's surprisingly easy to drive to (just a block and a half from the major thoroughfare of Quai Saint-Andre), making arrival a breeze, but once you're there (and your car has been stowed in their hugely convenient valet lot), you're no more than a five-minute walk from everything - yet still tucked away in an unobtrusive corner of the old port, making it the perfect location both for easily seeing the best of Quebec while still being able to sleep in without being disturbed.

In sum, I adore this hotel. I can't imagine staying anywhere else in Quebec. Highly, highly recommended.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank sbutterfield207
montreal
Reviewed 4 December 2010

The lobby is very cosy and has a large sitting area. There was a good espresso machine available in the lobby 24/7. The staffs were very friendly and helpful. The rooms are large and confortable with great amenities. In the morning, you have complementary nice continental breakfast. The hotel is located in the old Quebec. Many restaurant and boutique are available within walking distance from the hotel.

1 Thank xmqc
pasadena, california usa
Reviewed 29 October 2010

hotel in basse ville is to be preferred to the overtly touristic excess of the old city above.

We felt like we were seeing Quebec as the lovely small french canadian town it once was before it was discovered.

the hotel staff were excellent; i had a neck problem and they took care of me by microwaving my heat packs so that i could get some relief from pain and go on touring quebec city .
the morning breakfast is cold and i would wish they had a hot plate of lovely scrambled eggs or else a room where they could take orders for breakfast. It seemed a little bit diminishing of the true excellence of this hotel otherwise.
The bed linens and the bed were superb. The shower arrangement is novel and you have to like having a rain fall on your head rather than a nozzle you can adjust. But we thought we had made a very good choice but especially when we walked out at night, we were in a small french village!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rigoletto57
Central
Reviewed 28 October 2010

Most comfortable hotel in Quebec city I have yet experienced. I have stayed before at the Chateau Frontenac (overpriced) and the Loews le Concorde (not bad but a bit bland). Very large room, great amenities, King size bed - high end mattress and bed sheets. Top of the line TV, radio, computer friendly room. Nothing feels cheap in this hotel. A bit trendy but not over the top. Nice breakfast and espresso machine available at will in the lobby during the day. I would stay there again and will try other Germain hotels in Canada. Located in Old Quebec (lower part). Definitely a choice to consider if looking for a 4+star hotel in the city.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank BenPrairies
Litchfield, Connecticut
Reviewed 26 October 2010

I travel quite often on business trips locally. I've also been around the world on trips to Paris, Rome, Sicily, Amsterdam, Brussels, England and Germany. I've stayed in about 160 hotels.
This hotel hit all the points. The service was excellent, the staff super-friendly, the bathrooms were spotless, with fresh clean towels that looked brand new, clean glasses, crisp white linens...without that itchy feeling that you get in most hotels. I slept for the first time in months...in a hotel of all places! The staff checked on whether we need ice, every night, gave us chocolates at night with the weather forecast on a little card. The breakfasts were world class! Brie's and cheeses, cappucnos and lattes, grains, fresh fruits, jams and amazing breads. The lobby was so cozy we actually came back each night after dinner and hung out with there. The location is just outside the tourist area but walkable so it was like getting away from the craziness at all times. DO not hesitate to go to this hotel!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple