“Great location, let down by the little things”
Review of Hotel du Capitole

Hotel du Capitole
Ranked #59 of 100 Hotels in Quebec City
Reviewed 6 September 2013

The location by the old city is excellent and valet service was great. The tub in the centre of the room is great for a romantic getaway, not sure how it would work otherwise. Beds were not comfy though and despite numerous complaints, stains over the sofa were not pleasant and werent removed. (And were not from cleaning products as suggested) Even when we looked at another room there were still stains. Beautiful outside the hotel though and lots of major sites in walking distance. The hotel just needs a little tlc to be a gem of a place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank vickyhardy
marie-eve g, Manager at Hotel du Capitole, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2013

Good afternoon vickyhardy, thank you for taking the time to write about your stay. Honestly, I have to tell you how much I am embarassed about your experience. This hotel is like my own home and I would never let things detoriate in such a way. I've had a meeting with my housekeeper and we will be cleaning up all the red velvet furmiture in a very near future. Be sure that I'm very sorry about that and I sincerely hope to be able to welcome you again. Marie-Ève Galipeault

Reviewed 4 September 2013

The hotel was worth the stay, but if your wanting comfortable accommodations, this is not the place. ( pics will explain ). I thought it was real cool as soon as i walked in, but the only comfortable piece of furniture was the bed. When taking a shower, expect to "show all" because there is a glass wall that over looks the bedroom & living quarters. The tub is out in the open as well. ( great for a couple , but if you have kids, no way!
My husband likes lobbies where he can get up earlier than me, sit down and have a coffee......NO lobby here. It was however a cool looking place and situated right by the entrance of the fort, and all the shops. I was glad we got to stay there, but if you were to go longer than a day or two, i'd go somewhere more comfortable.

Room Tip: Room facing the street may be noisy, seeing they have a area set up for live entertainment.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank noreen f

Dear Noreen f, thank you for sharing your experience with us. As I said in an earlier message, we are thinking about some renavations and the furmiture will be on the list, it is true that it is very pretty but not the most comfortable. Since our hotel is located in the heart of the city and holds only 40 rooms, we have a tiny lobby with only 3 seats but our restaurant is just across from the front desk so it is also an option for early coffee. I'm glad you liked the location and the bed! Marie-Ève Galipeault

Reviewed 28 August 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel during the Victoria day weekend in May and were not overly impressed with the place. We stayed in the Deluxe mini suite with antique bathtub. Over all in terms of location and staff we have only good things to say but the rooms were unimpressive. The room is not bad but simply said they were o.k., nothing more nothing less. To keep this simple I'll list the pros and cons.

Pros:
1. Amazing location, you are right next to the walls that enter the Old city of Quebec. You have restaurants and sights right outside the front door. Even a pharmacy a couple of doors down in case you forgot your shampoo at home.
2. Quiet, it was very calm during the day and at night.
3. Very Polite and attentive staff. They were always smiling and ready to answer any questions we had.
4. Easy access to parking across the street
5. Bed (not as firm as I care for) but comfortable, no complaints there.
6. Clean sheets
7. Clean bathroom
8. Rooftop deck accessible by all guests. Great little location to sit down with a beer and relax (There is a corner store just downstairs, next door to hotel that sells beer and cheap wine)

Cons:
1. Extremely uncomfortable couch. I love a firm mattress, my mattress and couches at home are firm and some of our friends find it to be too firm but the couch at the hotel was just plain uncomfortable. It was like I was sitting on a plank of wood. Obviously we did not go to Quebec city to watch television but we did not use this area at all.

2. Minuscule bathroom. Personally I think the mini sitting area should be opened up to make a bigger bathroom because you could not fit two people in that bathroom unless one is in the shower. The doors slid shut awkwardly and there is absolutely no counter space to put your toiletries. However to make up for this a small table and mirror are provided for guests in the bedroom area. So ladies you have a spot to sit and get ready before you step out for dinner.

3. Elevator was slow and small but this didn't bother us much, we walked up the stairs most of the time. Good exercise. However, if u have reduced mobility this could be a nuisance, not a problem just a bit annoying.

4. Bathtub in room was inconvenient, especially that the room was a bit awkwardly laid out. Not very enticing and too small for two people. Again I would get rid of the awkward seating area to make a bigger bathroom and a bigger bedroom. I got the impression they were trying to make separate living and bedroom area in order to charge more money by calling it a "suite".

5. The rug was dirty making our desire to use the tub in the room even less. Granted rugs in general, anywhere, are always on the dirty side but dust bunnies hanging around is a bit much.

6. Decor... all right this one is a matter of personal taste. Some people like the decor here but we didn't. Navy ceiling with clouds painted is a bit tacky in my opinion. Plus dark ceilings just make me feel like the ceiling is lower than it actually is and makes me feel a little closed in.

So overall our main complaint is really the disposition of the room and some bathroom size issues (keep in mind I am 5 foot 11in tall and my husband 6ft 3in). On the plus side, if the weather is nice you've got everything right smack in front of your nose and very friendly staff ready to point you in the right direction or even print some directions up for you! Maybe the other rooms with the jacuzzi tub would have been bigger and more comfortable for us but the next time I would rather spend a bit more and stay at a bigger hotel that includes additional amenities.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
marie-eve g, Manager at Hotel du Capitole, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2013

Dear Alicia Remy, thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us. I know it takes a lot of time to do this and it's appreciated that you did it with so much details. I'm delighted about all the pros listed in your message. About the cons; it is true that most of our bathrooms are small but I would add that they are usually well laid out. With our location right in the heart of a 400 year old city and the age of the builduig, it is almost not a surprise that they are small. We are thinking about renovating and this is a point that often comes back in our conversations, I will make sure that this is not forgotten. Thank you again and be you can be sure that every point will be discussed with our housekeeper as well as our maintenance team. Sincerely, Marie-Ève Galipeault

Reviewed 26 August 2013

My wife and I made our first visit to Quebec and were not sure of where to stay. I was reading reviews and came across this hotel, the pictures looked nice and the rates seemed reasonable for Summer in Quebec city. Turns out to be our favorite place out of the four hotels we stayed in on this road trip. The room was a suite and was large with a comfortable sitting and desk area separate from the sleeping area with a great bed and accent lighting around the room. Exposed brick and a whirlpool tub made my wife happy. We don't usually eat in the hotel restaurant but enjoyed sitting outdoors at this one,good food and perfect location to relax after our drive. Thanks for a great stay, request a room that looks out above the walls of the old city if you can.

1  Thank pepperboxtrader

Dear Pepperboxtrader, thanks for taking the time to review our hotel. Since everything seems to have worked out very well during your stay, I just want to thank you for choosing us for your stay in Quebec city, it is well appreciated I hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again at L'Hôtel du Capitole! Marie-Ève Galipeault

Reviewed 22 August 2013

This hotel is very well located to enjoy Old Quebec. Two very good restaurants on site, we ate at both and they were very good.. Great shows also on site, we saw ''The man in Black'' (Johnny Cash), it was excellent. You can walk anywhere in Old Quebec from this hotel, no need to use your car.

Room Tip: Book a show with dinner right there, you won`t regret it.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
marie-eve g, Manager at Hotel du Capitole, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2013

Dear grpGA, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and site. The package that includes hotel, dinner and show is fantastic! I'm glad you enjoyed it. We hope to see you again at L'Hôtel du Capitole. Marie-Ève Galipeault

Reviewed 18 August 2013

We got a great rate on hotwire on this hotel and it was so much better than we expected. The rooms are very chic and quiet. The hotel staff are multi-lingual and very personable and helpful. The valet service was great. We were very tired after having driven in from Montreal after a flight from the west coast of the US and it was great to just have the rental car taken care of quickly and efficently without a fuss. The location couldn't be better-a stroll away from restaurants and shops.

Room Tip: We had a room on the second floor and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
marie-eve g, Manager at Hotel du Capitole, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2013

Dear Jo Anne A, thank you for your lovely comments, it is always nice to read pleasant comments about our staff. You can be sure that I will pass on the comments. We hope to see you again at L'Hôtel du Capitole. Marie-Ève Galipeault

Reviewed 15 August 2013

Recently got a great rate to stay here on business. reserved 3 rooms and were very happy. The restaurant is great - service is fantastic and the rooms are very different. We each had a 2 story room - bathroom and sitting area with tv on main floor with the bed upstairs with nice work area. the decor and cleanliness were very nice. For business travelers or families look out for the following: 1) the closet space is VERY limited - one small closet upstairs makes it hard to hang suits and shirts for a multiple day visit, 2) the bathroom has a tub with a curtain that is pulled all around it - can be a bit tricky when all you want is a quick shower and if you were with kids trying to take a shower - be ready to mop up some water! 3) very few electrical outlets to charge phones, plug in tablet and laptops (especially by the desk upstairs - all outlets were used for tv, cable box and lights). But seriously- those were minor things. The place is all about location, location, location! Right by the gates of the old city - terrific spot for walking and exploring the city from. Plus the theatre at the hotel is TERRIFIC - saw Queen Extravaganza there and was completely blown away! Beautiful old theatre - worth seeing if there is a show on that you might enjoy! Loved the place and will be back - not your typical hotel - it's nice to change things up once in a while! Oh yeah, the staff were terrific and super friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

Dear Heffe65, thank you so much for taking the time to share your opinion on our hotel. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed our mezzanine rooms, they are very quaint but you are also right about the bathtub. It's very charming but not as efficient as a regular bath when it comes to washing the kids. Glad you enjoyed the Queen Extravangaza show, it is fantastic! We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again! Marie-Ève Galipeault