“When we stay in this city again, we would select this hotel again without a doubt!!”

Le Saint-Pierre Auberge Distinctive
Ranked #14 of 102 Hotels in Quebec City
Reviewed 17 October 2009

Staff was helpful and friendly! (especially Maxime : ) Each room was unique in the lower town, narrow street location near many small shops and restaurants! Never before have we experienced a breakfast included with hotel charge that was served with white linens and a full 12 item meal selection! Our last day we left the hotel early for flight before breakfast was served so they packed juice and croissants for us to take with us. Charming and quiet is what we liked best! Wouldn't change a thing! Take the two hour bus tour of Quebec City and you catch it a block from hotel. Arrangements are made at the front desk.

Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank orangesoda

Reviewed 8 October 2009

Hotel had friendly staff who provided good advice about local attractions and activities. Breakfast (included) was good with about 12 hot selections. Service slowed a bit on the one morning that was busy, but otherwise was very good. Room was spacious especially for being in a converted old office building. I loved that the big windows let in a lot of light and actually opened which is a nice change from big tower hotels. The location in the old port made it steps away from many of the top end restaurants and they are directly across the street from the Museum of Civilization. The area is quiet at night, and there was no traffic noise at all. The hotel offers easy valet parking if you have a car or you can park a few blocks away at a parking lot.

Our room was missing a towel hanger on the back of the door, but the staff repaired it within a couple of hours of me reporting it. Overall a great place and I'd go back.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank A-GlobalTraveler
Reviewed 22 July 2009

We received a warm welcome when we booked into this hotel, which is ideally placed for sightseeing in old Quebec (upper and lower levels) and is within easy walking distance of plenty of restaurants in the old port area. We stayed for four nights.
Our room, which looked directly out onto the wall of the Musee de Civilisation across the street, was a reasonable size with freshly painted walls but rather tired looking furniture and floorboards which squeaked when walked on. The carpet square had definitely seen better days and the duvet cover was faded and marked.
The window wall was open brickwork with a miscellany of pipe work (probably heating and a sprinkler system).
The bathroom was small but clean, with minimal surface areas for toilet bags. Hanging space, number of hangers, drawer space and surfaces in the room itself were adequate.
The lighting was somewhat sparse, however the air conditioning and bathroom shower worked well.
Breakfast (included in the room rate) was waiter service of a choice from a very good menu plus orange juice and continually topped-up coffee. The service was friendly and swift; however the hot food wasn’t very warm on the first morning. We also were slightly put off by the practice of the tip given by the occupant of a breakfast table being put back by the waiter, in clear view, onto the re-laid table and not cleared until he arrived to take the next occupant’s order (a very broad hint indeed).
Overall we found the hotel to be reasonable value for the price paid, but we would look around for an alternative (even if higher priced) when staying in Quebec again.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Geoff & Barbara
Reviewed 14 July 2009

Took my family to visit Old Quebec so my daughters could practice their French language skills. Their french teacher suggested this hotel, and I am quite glad she did. If you've never been to Quebec before, you are missing a really charming city, one that is more than 400 years old. If you don't like flying and wish you could visit Europe, Quebec is the answer.

CHECK IN:
Met at the curb of the tiny cobblestone alley this hotel sits on (Rue Saint Pierre, Old City) by a valet who greeted me in English. I was shocked...I expected to only speak French the entire week. But he saw our Ohio license plates and tried to make us feel at home. Super service and he explained how the valet parking worked, then led me into the gorgeous lobby. Not opulent....this is an OLD building. But it has been renovated in a very modern and tasteful way with loads of wood trim. Chic.

UH-OH, OH NO!
But then....the thing I hate most happened: "Oh, you only booked for two people. We'll have to add $50 per night for your daughters." I knew this wasn't right. I hate the "surprise" at check in....so I was ready to explode. But then I remembered I had printed out an email from the hotel I had gotten when checking my reservations about three weeks before our vacation. In it, the staff CLEARLY noted that it was four people, for four nights. So they backed off. As it turns out, I had unknowingly booked on June 23rd....a huge holiday in Quebec. I suspect they just didn't want to honor my rate because they wanted to capitalize on the crowds...but in the end, they did not charge me the $50 fee. And they were quite nice about it. But still....be forewarned. I would advise you check and double check.

DON'T TRUST THE WEBSITE!
One thing that also frustrates me is when I find out on site that there are fees that weren't explained while booking. This is true at the Auberge Saint Pierre. Parking is $16 per night, but that is not explained online. Be prepared...I wasn't really upset about this as I am used to paying for parking in cities...but why it wasn't made clear when I booked online, I have no idea.

THE SUITE:
Awesome. Exposed brick, wood floors, kitchen, free wi-fi. Beautiful room, quiet at night. During the day, you a right smack in the middle of Old Quebec...it's like being in an old European city without the expense of going to Europe. Very good bed, plenty of towels (with three women in tow, trust me...I care about that!) Even the fold away bed was pretty decent, as far as fold aways go. Bathroom is small, but well equipped and everything worked well. It took me a few minutes to figure out the air conditioning since the hotel is all steam heat, the A/C is a wall mount affair with a remote control. No instructions. If your VCR is still blinking "12:00", make sure you ask the staff to show you how to use it. I am a techie by profession, and it frustrated me for several minutes until I figured it out.

FREE BREAKFAST- DON'T JUDGE A BOOK BY IT'S COVER!
The hotel only has about 30 rooms...so there are not huge crowds. Still, when I saw the breakfast area I was worried. It is small. Really small. It seats maybe 30-40 people. But as it turns out, it was never an issue. We never had to wait for a table. More importantly...this hotel goes well beyond the typical continental-day-old-bagels-watery-juice-cold-cereal fare. Breakfast was cooked to order based on a menu of a few choices...but they seemed happy to customize things based on the general menu. And the food was awesome....really, really, well done. Service was great, very charming. If you stay here and don't eat breakfast, you are really missing a treat. I would rate this as the best free breakfast service I have ever experienced.

STAFF:
We had few interactions with the desk staff...check in, check out, asking for a "patisserie" nearby. They were always helpful, always willing to listen to my tortured version of French. Always willing to help in any way. The breakfast staff (servers and cooks) were awesome. Sunny, cheery, efficient. Valets were also great. Service is clearly a top priority here. American hotels could really take a few lessons from the Auberge.

CHECK OUT:
We decided to leave a day earlier than planned because we felt we had pretty much done what we wanted to do. We called the evening before to make sure this was no problem, and were told it was ok. But in the morning, the desk clerk said "you'll have to pay for tonight because it was less than 24 hours notice." Again, I was ready to explode...but when I said we had called the night before and were told it would not be an issue, she said she was new and then called someone who said it was not necessary to charge us for that night. Lesson: make sure you are clear on their policies...and make sure you communicate. Again, I suspect it may have been because we were there on a huge holiday....or maybe this is just what happens here.

COST:
We paid about $225 per night (U.S.) for a suite. Honestly, I think the value we received here was really great for the money. Great staff, great room, great food. Just be sure you clarify your rate and bring written proof.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank 1unhappycamper
Reviewed 19 June 2009

We chose this hotel partly because of its location--right across the street from the Museum of Civilization and numerous restaurants, all of which we enjoyed. The rooms are very small, and while our stay was for four nights, we agreed that another night bumping into each other and walking over our two suitcases, would have been too much. The hotel definitely needed some maintenance work--elevator broke down twice, and the faucet handle in the room kept falling off.

The breakfasts are specially prepared with a impressive menu of choices, and the staff were friendly.

Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Calif0rniadreamers
Reviewed 11 June 2009

We stayed at the St Pierre for 4 nights. The hotel is in a great location with the old city only a few minutes' walk away. We had booked a suite but the room was more of a single oversized room rather than a suite with a separate bedroom and/or kitchette. The room was comfortable but the carpet was a bit worn and the TV quite small. The biggest negative about the St Pierre, and it was known to us beforehand and mentioned in previous reviews, was the close proximity to other buildings across the small street that bordered our room. Most of the time, we felt as though we needed to close the curtains. Ovewrall, though, we liked the St Pierre very much, the staff was very nice and the full breakfast each morning a definite plus. We used their vale parking ($20US/night). The car was parked in an open public lot a block away from the hotel. I could have parked the car there myself for a lt less.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank stevegt3
Reviewed 10 June 2009

Gorgeous setting, incredibly helpful and gracious service. One of the best hotel experiences I have had in years. The breakfast was 4 star. I can't say enough. The hotel alone was a vacation. The room are small but the immaculate and the bathroom was so clean and updated. I felt like a princess!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple