“Felt like a local!”
Review of Le Haute Ville

Le Haute Ville
Reviewed 30 July 2012

This is an excellent and much cheaper alternative to hotels in Vieux Quebec! If you're looking for an opportunity to feel more like a local instead of a tourist this place is in the perfect location. We walked everywhere! After spending the day exploring we felt like we were returning 'home' to a quaint little apartment in a safe neighborhood. It was super clean, well stocked and the use of the washer/dryer in the basement is a bonus! Maid service was provided twice during out 8 night stay which was more than adequate. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: There is no elevator, as is with most of the 'house converted' inns. This wasn't a prob...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 22 April 2012

I've stayed at Le Haute Ville on several occasions over the past few months, in apartments 1, 2, and 3. I've had a great experience every time I stayed there. The location is perfect. The rooms are very clean and spacious. The kitchens are very well-equipped and I've enjoyed cooking breakfast and light lunches there, so I could splurge on some of the more expensive restaurants in the area in the evenings. Overall, I think that Le Haute Ville is an ideal place to stay. I never feel like I'm staying in a rental, but as if I'm at home. It's a perfect refuge after a day of walking and exploring in the Vieux Québec. I'd recommend it for families, couples, or friends who want to enjoy the city but also come home to a nice apartment at the end of the day. I plan to stay there every time I visit Quebec City.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank S-709
Reviewed 8 February 2012

For three nights, this has been a great place to stay. The location is ideal - close to everything but not in the middle of things. I was concerned about parking close to Haute Ville to unload and I should not have been. During the day, there is plenty of on-street parking close by since long-term parking requires a resident sticker. Factor your parking cost into yoir total cost and it's still a bargain.

Plenty of restaurants close by but also nice to eat breakfast and lunch in.

The apartment is well apponted and clean. The layout is very nice in #1. Large dining/kitchen/living area, cozy bedroom and bath below. Everything you might be looking for with the exception of the small refrigerator which freezes the milk as well as the ice cubes.

I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2012
2  Thank VTLongTimeTraveler
Reviewed 29 December 2011

Wow! What a fantastic little gem this fantastic stay was!!!

I was a bit hesitant prior, as it was mentioned that there is no reception staff, a code for the front door was given, and the apartment's key would be left on the table. Everything was just as mentioned.

The whole apartment - no 3 - was spotless - not a speck of dust anywhere - including under the comfortable bed or on top of the kitchen cabinets.

The kitchenette was well equipped with a large cooker and clean oven, microwave, toaster and coffee maker. There is a fridge-freezer. The central heating was excellent! The bathroom is spacious with a great shower!

Coin operated washing machines and driers are available on site.

We stayed for 5 nights, and our towels were changed during the stay.

Wifi is a good speed.

The location is perfect! Lots of local restaurants within a couple of minutes walk with good quality food. The local convenience store is just around the corner. We were looking for tin-foil - we were staying over Christmas. Although it is not sold in the convenience store, they offered us a couple of sheets!

Thanks for a wonderful stay, and we are looking forward to staying in future again. No more staying in chain hotels for us in Quebec! Wish we could have stay longer during this stay!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank mw_dewit
Reviewed 9 October 2011

We stayed here in mid-September for 3 nights. The small studio (#6) suited our needs as a couple. It was tiny, but there was one lounging sofa and hubby sat on the bed in the evenings. We purchased a few groceries and ate breakfast and supper in our room. We ate our lunches in the local restaurants. Everything was within walking distance, including at least three places to buy groceries. I thought that a couple of tea bags and a bit of coffee would have been nice for the first morning. Otherwise, the kitchen was fine (not the best stocked that I have encountered on this vacation, but it was ok).

If you are not planning on cooking at least 1 meal besides breakfast, then perhaps this is not the best "deal". But I was finding that the B&Bs inside the walled city were all pretty pricey. This hotel/apartment was priced better than some of the places outside of the wall. We bought wine and cheese and "crashed" after our 6 hour days on our feet. Then we cooked a simple supper when we were ready to eat. This was great, as far as I was concerned.

Cleanliness? Not as clean as I would like, but not really dirty either.

Consider this place if you like the independence of sleeping in and eating whenever and whatever you want.

WARNING: This is a busy street very early in the morning. The street cleaners and bigger trucks were driving by at 5:30 a.m. EACH of the three mornings. The horses and buggies go by throughout the day; my guess is that this is the cleanup before a new day of tourists. Bring earplugs, unless you want to get an early start to your day.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank eak027
Reviewed 4 September 2011

I have nothing but good things to say about this apartment hotel. If I had more than 5 stars, I'd use them. My wife, our two kids and I stayed in apartment #1 during the last week of August 2011 and it was ideal. The upstairs level is a combination living room and dining room, with a kitchenette off to the side (with new appliances and cabinets), and a bedroom and bathroom downstairs. The couch upstairs near the cable TV is a sleeper, so the kids were very happy there. Everything was clean, the decor very warm, and the whole place was well appointed. The location is great - a few steps from a park, and near everything in the old city. Eric, the manager, could not have been more responsive when we emailed or called with questions before and during our stay. No problem with WiFi. It made our vacation perfect and there is no doubt that we will stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 January 2011

My wife and I stayed in Apt #3 in March & April of 2009 and, more recently, Apt #1 in Jan of 2011. No. 3 is upstairs on the second floor and consists of a combination kitchen, dining room, and living room and a bedroom and bathroom with a shower. The sofa in the living room made into a bed so that the apartment can accommodate 4 people. The kitchen has a large round table with 4 chairs. There's a flat screen television over the fireplace which can be seen from the bedroom. This apartment has range, refrigerator, coffee maker, and other amenities which makes it an excellent place to stay for a month or two. There was also ample closet space for storing one's clothes and luggage. We were there in cold weather and the steam heating kept it quite comfortable.

No. 1 is somewhat larger and is on the ground floor with the bedroom and bathroom located down below. The bathroom contains a combination tub & shower. There is steam heat in this apartment and a space heater in the bedroom and both keep it quite comfortable in winter. The combination kitchen, living room, dining room is quite large and spacious. Like the upstairs apartment, it contains range, refrigerator, coffee maker, and other amenities which makes it an ideal place for spending several weeks or a month. It also contains ample closet space. The living room has a flat screen television and a sectional sofa.

There is a phone on a small table on the first floor for making and receiving calls. A washer & dryer are located in the basement and each charges $1.50 per load. This place is located within walking distance of grocery stores, restaurants, bookstores, and all of the attractions of the beautiful city of Quebec. One can easily walk to the port area and the farmers market as well as the train station. The Chateau Frontenac, Place Royale, Funeculaire, Citadel, and other tourist attractions are all well within walking distance. The lively Rue St-Jean is only a couple of blocks away. Since Quebec City has an excellent bus system, one can easily go to other parts of the city which are not within walking distance. Parliament is close by and can be seen from the windows of both apartments. One can hear the clip-clop of the horses as they pull the caleches along the street. This is quite a charming place to stay and enjoy all that Vieux Quebec has to offer.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple