“Nice place, but you need a car”

Residences Universite Laval
Reviewed 25 August 2014

First off, don't stay in the dorm rooms with shared bath unless you're 1. In love and with your lover 2. With your best friends and ready to party 3. Under the age of 25.
These are dorm rooms in a dorm, rented out in the off season.
The rest of you, get a room with a bath, which is very nice. However, there is limited air conditioning in most units, although the weather was chilly wet mid August, so that was not an issue. The campus itself is beautiful, but big and sprawling. If you're near the student center, there's a restaurant/bar which is quite good, a convenience store, and a student cafeteria with limited hours. There's a car rental place there too which is very good, but you have to reserve a DAY IN ADVANCE. And this is critical, to have a car, because the university is on the outskirts of town and everything is a fifteen minute drive away. And cabs are expensive. The bus lines are good but slow and the buses stop at midnight. You can buy tickets at the convenience store or use exact change. To do Quebec right, you need a car to visit the Montmorency falls and L'isle d'Orleans and to shlep around the city itself. There's decent parking just outside the old city. Meters mainly. But once you park, you have to stroll. It is a terrific place for strolling, AND eating. Best bread this side of France. All in all, a nice hotel/dorm room in a student-oriented environment, but off the beaten path.

Room Tip: Get a Single with bath!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with StudentUniverse
2  Thank P Z

Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed for a week during August when attending a conference in the city. I stayed in the basic single room and a family member came later and stayed in the more expensive suite for two nights towards the end of the week.

My accodation was fine. Very good value. Lovely campus to stay on and walk around, clean and safe. Nice staff. Great public transport into the downtown area, every few minutes all day (800 and 801, make sure you get a week pass if you are staying even 3or4 days, Great value)

One complaint is that in the building I was staying in, they have a few, I could hear the student bar which kept me up. It seemed to be busy only on Thursdays though, the rest of the week was fine. The shared bathroom was fine and kept clean but like the room, nothing special. Perfect for a base. Breakfast also left a lot to be desired but you still got your coffee and a bit of fruit to keep you going none the less.

The other more expensive room, the suite, was very nice. Hotel standard. Air con slightly loud but really looking for faults there. It was, however, twice the price of the single room.

Overall we were both very happy with the accomodation and a lovely city. Well worth a visit.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Desy33
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We have stayed here several times over the years and its mixed. On the plus side it is very affordable. It is a great location because the bus runs right to the old city of Quebec and the stop is within a few steps. There is a cool maze of tunnels that connects the campus. There is a great botanical garden on campus. There is a METRO grocery store very nearby. The staff is very helpful.

The down side is that on Fridays and Saturdays college-aged renters invade and are typically loud and often inebriated. Noise echoes in the corridors and drunks are not conscientious about quiet hours. There is no AC so in the summer you should bring a fan. I know its Canada but the building is block and there is tons of latent heat. If you keep your door open the top opening windows may let some air in. With the door shut you will have no air flow guaranteed!

This can be managed and expectations should be realistic. First tip, skip the weekends. Second Bring A FAN!!!

Room Tip: Avoid the weekends if possible...during the week its very quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank SteveTravels272
Reviewed 12 August 2014

During peak tourist season, finding an affordable room can be difficult. It was clean, convenient, and cheap. They provide a bed, clean sheets, towels, and the tiniest bars of soap you will ever see. I repeat, it is a dorm room. It was a good night's sleep and a good hot shower. What a deal.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2014

For a solo traveler, this would be the cheapest option. You should probably add the cost of the bus if you're planning to go to the center (tip: get multiple-day tickets at tobacco/grocery shops).

The rooms do look a bit like from the 70's, but they're good enough. You get fresh bed sheets and towels every 2 days. Unfortunately, they don't have a fridge, but last time I was at the reception I saw some ad about renting one. The internet connection is great, a shopping mall is very close by, and you have a straight connection to the center with the 800/801 buses (20-25 min). You can also do laundry in the basement. Cleanliness in the bathrooms could be slightly better, but I'm quite picky about that in particular.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I stayed there three nights this July because I was in town for the FEQ and hotels are so expensive during this time of the year that I decided to stay at the Résidences de l'Université Laval. Upon my arrival, I was nicely greeted at what I guess I should call the "front desk". The room was what I expected: a dorm room with a bed camp. I actually had two even if I was alone so I used the extra one to store my luggage and stuff. It wasn't as noisy as I thought it would so I wasn't really bothered by that. The location is great: the bus is 2 minutes away and the shopping malls are a 10 minutes walk away so it's really convenient. If you ever feel bored and lonely at night you can always go to the Pub de l'université for some food and drinks at a good price. The only thing that really annoyed me was the heat in the room: you could only open the windows, there was no fan (of course I didn't expect air conditioning). The first night was really hot so I didn't sleep so weel. The two others nights it was a bit better, but I never used the sheets to cover me as it would've been too hot.

Room Tip: If you have a room never the showers/bathrooms it'll be quite busy, especially in the morning.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I booked 1 bed single room with shared bathroom but I got 2 beds instead, which I don't mind. The room was OK and clean, and so was the shared bathroom. There weren't that many people on my floor when I stayed here, so I don't have any complaints about any disturbing noises. Staffs were really friendly, explained everything I need as I don't really know any French. One thing I really appreciate was they accept late check-ins without having to pay extra costs, and I think they are open 24 hrs.
Location is pretty good, there is a bus station right outside the dorm that can carry you to straight to oldtown. There is a convenient store right beside the building too. Overall, it was a really good stay, really good for the price.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo