“Its good but...”

GreenLeadersGold level
Laval, Canada
“Its good but...”
Reviewed 7 May 2013

We where two couples looking for a place to spend an overnight in Quebec city. The front desk was courteous an got us our rooms roght away. The rooms where nice, clean, and roomy. The beds where comfortable and the pillows where ok also. They also had a great brunch in the morning that was not too expensive. The hotel is a little far from old Quebec where all the action is. Sounds like a good hotel right? This is where the but comes in. The hotel has a valet and parking service for a nominal fee. Upon checkout we noticed that the whole bumper of our car was scratched and popped off. Thank god we notoced because the valet failed to inform us (the scratches where deep and noticable, whoever drove the car would have felt the collision). The problem was not even the accident because the car was still drivable and frankly accidents happen. What upset us is that the valet company tried to conceal it by not informing us. Furthermore when speaking to the front desk of the hotel they seemed less then empathetic to say the least. Neither the valet or the hotel immediatly apologized for the inconvinience. It was only through subsequent emails that a manager did. Because of the poor customer service of this hotel, we will never go back, which is a shame because they seemed to have everything else right.

• Stayed March 2013
Genevieve_Hebert123, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Plus City Centre/Centre-Ville, responded to this review, 14 May 2013
Bonjour!
Thank you for your comments concerning your recent stay at the Best Western Plus City Centre Quebec. I appreciate that you took the time to post them and hope you will accept my apologies if our staff came across in an unprofessional manner while handling your concerns with the damage made to your car. I can assure you that every effort is maintained by the hotel staff to provide exceptional, friendly and courteous service. I am disappointed we failed to give you the fine accommodation, service and consideration we strive for with all our guests. Our hotel takes every reasonable precaution to safeguard the personal property of our guests. However, when driving and parking hundreds of cars each day, yes, accidents unfortunately happens. Our valets parking are usually working in a very professional way, and they are aware that if they cause any damages to guest’s cars, they must report it immediately and the manager on duty is to make the proper follow up with the guest. In that case: did the valet noticed the damage or nor? Difficult to say. But you are absolutely right; the lack of empathy is not acceptable and is absolutely not representative of the service usually delivered at our property. Be assured that your comments were transmitted to the Valet Service Manager and Front Desk Manager to ensure it never happens again. Once more, we apologize for any inconvenience you experienced. It is with comments such as yours that we are able to continually improve our service. We appreciate your patronage and I hope you will reconsider staying with us the next time you are in Québec City. I promise we will do everything we can to make your stay a comfortable and happy one. Best regards.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
  • Korean first
Dartmouth, Canada
Reviewed 5 May 2013

We stayed at this hotel on two occasions within the past week. The staff are excellent. The hotel is well located and reasonably priced to explore beautiful Quebec City! On our second stay Mr Pare on the front desk was very pleasant and helpful - going out of his way to make our stay wonderful! The executives suites are very spacious and comfortable.

Room Tip: We have stayed on the first floor and the fifth floor. Both rooms were very clean and comfortable.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Bonjour!

Thank you for your cooperation in taking the time to post your comments following your visit to the Best Western City Plus Centre Quebec. We appreciate that you took the time to post such a positive review. It is a real pleasure to read that you felt the passion of our staff, like Maxime Paré, one of our loyal Front Desk staff. When working in service like we do, acknowledgement and gratitude is very important. I am happy that you enjoyed both Traditional room and our Executive room. Once again, thank you again for this great review. It was a true pleasure to welcome you among us and we are looking forward to seeing you again. Best regards.
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Reviewed 5 May 2013

Stayed here for 5 nights thanks to a blind Hotwire booking at a very cheap rate ($54) a night. Hotel is in a good location, about a 15-20 minute walk outside Old Quebec and a 25 minute cab ride ($35 flat rate to/from the airport). It's only 2 blocks from Rue Saint Francois which has a few restaurants and boutique shops. Convenient for the Metrobus to Laurier Mall and Galeries de la Capitale (30 min bus ride). There's a convenience store (which sells a small amount of wine/beer/spirits) and a pharmacy across the street.

While we stayed, we got free breakfast as their restaurant was under renovation, which also opened at the end of the stay. The breakfast was very good, but it is normally $14.95. In general, food in Quebec City is on the higher side (especially compared to Montreal).

We stayed on the 4th floor in a fairly spacious room, especially for the price. The bathroom was huge - larger than some 4 star hotels I've stayed in before. Everything was clean and functional. Bed was a little firm, but that's probably a personal preference. Standard fridge and safe in the room, with a Keurig as well - only thing missing was a microwave. Staff were friendly and bilingual, so if you have no French, you'll be fine.

There's a pool and jacuzzi on the main floor, which are small but were very clean. There's also a small gym which we didn't use.

Overall it was a very good experience, and I would highly recommend it. If you can get the price we got, then it's a steal of a deal.

Room Tip: The 4th floor (Business floor) seemed quieter than the rest of the hotel. Wear good shoes to get...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Scopar
Genevieve_Hebert123, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Plus City Centre/Centre-Ville, responded to this review, 8 May 2013
Bonjour!

Thank you for your most complete review about your recent stay at the Best Western Plus City Centre Quebec. We are glad to know that you appreciated the quality of your room. There are no doubt you caught a great deal with this booking! We are using Opaque websites to sell rooms that would go unsold otherwise. Although Traditional rooms are the only room category available for opaque web sites, when the availability permits it, we like to upgrade guests to either business class rooms or executive class rooms. Pleasing guests is our #1 goal!

All room categories offer the same level of quality and cleanliness and offers standard high quality natural memory foam mattresses, mp3/ipod compatible radio-clock, synthetic duvet comforter to name only a few. However, Business Class and Executive categories offer you that little plus most of people are looking for! When staying in a business class room, you are guaranteed to be on a higher floor and be provided with a mini-fridge, a Keurig coffee maker, bathrobes and deluxe amenities as well. If you are looking for more luxury, an Executive room is for you. These rooms are located in a private section of the hotel and offer the same benefits as the Business Class but the main advantage is the large deluxe glass shower with rain shower head instead of the regular bath with shower. It is a must!

Again, thank you for your feedback. It was a true pleasure to have you stay with us and we hope you will visit us again at the Best Western Plus City Centre Quebec the next time you are in Quebec City.
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 12 April 2013

We stayed here for one night would stay again the staff was very friendly
The bed was very comfortable had a great night sleep. We got upgraded in the business section not sure why but i did not complain the room was big and clean.
We got free breakfast which was a nice surprise. A very busy breakfast room they kept running out of food poor staff....
The pool is small but still nice
The water in the jacuzzi could have been a little hotter
Did not like that small children 2 or 3 year olds were in the jacuzzi
Did not like the fact that you have to pay $20.00 a day for parking
Overall a nice stay would stay again

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Genevieve_Hebert123, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Plus City Centre/Centre-Ville, responded to this review, 17 April 2013
Bonjour!
Thank you for your great review about your latest stay at the Best Western Plus City Centre Quebec. I appreciate that you took the time to post it. Your feedback is very much appreciated and I can assure you that we use this information to do everything possible to create an enjoyable experience for each of our guests. I am glad that you enjoyed our free continental breakfast that is served while our restaurant is closed for renovation. Just in case it may confuse some potential guests, I would like to specify once more that we do not usually serve free continental breakfast. Starting on May 1st, we will go back to the original formula and serve full American breakfast (additional charge applies) as our new Bistro Le 330 will be open. Concerning your comment on parking, actually, our parking rate is similar to all other hotels located downtown. Being located in the heart of Downtown, we totally understand that the scarcity of parking may not please everyone. Free parking in Quebec City is not easy to find and can be precarious when you are not familiar with rules and regulations. We believe our valet service provides a simple and secure place for your car with unlimited in an out privilege. It is the easiest solution to avoid guests from having a hard time to find parking. Please note that from 1 May 2013, the price of valet parking will increase from $ 20 to $ 22 plus taxes per night. Finally, it was a true pleasure to welcome you. We hope to have the chance to serve you again in the near future. We look forward to it!
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 9 April 2013

This was my first time traveling alone. I speak little to no French and have never been to Quebec City before. However, from the moment I walked through the doors of this hotel, none of that mattered. The staff made me feel right at home - helping me plan out places to visit, delivering supplies to my room whenever I ran out and even going so far as ordering dinner on my behalf one night, as the delivery place didn't speak English!

The hotel is in excellent condition (looks better from the inside than the outside) and has many great amenities as previous posters have mentioned. My favourite was the wall paintings around the pool area/hot tub. I've never seen that before and thought it was pretty neat. I also appreciated the free continental breakfast every morning. I enjoyed making my own waffles and enjoying them while reading the free newspaper!

The cleaning staff did a great job of maintaining my room for the duration of my stay. My room was spacious and had everything I needed (ironing board and iron, hair dryer, good wifi, etc.)

I had a great time staying here, and would highly recommend this hotel to others!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Bonjour!
Thank you for your cooperation in taking the time to post your comments following your visit to the Best Western City Plus Centre Quebec. We appreciate that you took the time to post such a wonderful review including nice pictures of our property. It is a real pleasure to read that you perceived the passion that our staff demonstrates. When working in service like we do, acknowledgement and gratitude is as important as the salary. We believe that by empowering our staff to take initiatives and always try their best to go the extra mile for guests is THE way to go! Providing exceptional, friendly and courteous service is not an option, it is what we are. I am happy that our pool and hot tub were your favorite thing about our hotel. Like we can all see on your pictures, although our heated indoor pool is only 25 feet long by 16 feet wide and 1.2 meters deep, we like to say it is the most beautiful in town since it is surrounded in a hand painted decor of landscapes representing the Quebec region. Finally, I am glad that you enjoyed our free continental breakfast that is served while our restaurant is getting a makeover. Just in case it may confuse some tripadvisor readers, I would like to specify that we do not usually serve free breakfast. Starting on May 1st, we will go back like before as our new Bistro Le 330 will open and serve full American breakfast (additional charge applies). We can’t wait to have our new concept shared with everyone! This being said, I am thanking you again for this great review. It was a true pleasure to welcome you and we are looking forward to seeing you again.
Fredericton, Canada
Reviewed 6 April 2013

This Best Western has a lot going for it. Although a little far, it is from walking distance from Old Quebec. The rooms are huge and the beds are comfortable! If you like strong flavourful coffee, then Cafe In within the hotel is the place for you! When we came in, the room was spotless. However, during the stay, the room was done very fast and not well. From my room, there was no direct light from outside. The room was dark and I missed the natural light, especially in the morning. My sister had a room with natural light, but her room was small compared to mine. During this hotel restaurant renovations, it provides a complimentary breakfast. Well, the breakfast room is packed and there is a long line up. The poor workers cannot replenish the bread, scrambled eggs, milk, etc. fast enough and the line keeps getting longer and longer.

Room Tip: If you need the natural light, ask for a non interior room. If you want a big room, ask for an inte...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Genevieve_Hebert123, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Plus City Centre/Centre-Ville, responded to this review, 8 April 2013
Bonjour,
Thank you for your comments concerning your stay at the BEST WESTERN PLUS City Centre Quebec. Your contribution is very much appreciated, especially on room tip. I appreciate that you took the time to post them and I am grateful that you let us know of your satisfaction. Concerning interior rooms overlooking on the atrium, you are absolutely right. Those rooms are bigger than exterior room, but don’t provide natural daylight. So depending on each ones preferences, it is always a pleasure four our front desk clerks to mark down special requests concerning the view of the room upon reservation, check in or even upon check out in the offing of a future stay. Please note that there are only 24 interior rooms out of our 177 total rooms. We will always do our best to meet the demands of our guests. And as regards to the complimentary breakfast served during the restaurant’s makeover, when the hotel is at its full capacity, it can be crowded at peak hour (between 9am and 10am). I apologize for the inconvenience. Opening in May, our new Bistro Le 330 will serve full American breakfast from 7am to noon. Moreover, let’s not forget our onsite coffee shop Café In that also provide an alternative for breakfast with, muffins, fruits, French style pastries like croissant, chocolatine, banana bread, etc., available as early as 6 am and throughout the day. Again, thank you for a most complete review. It was a true pleasure to have you stay with us and we hope you will visit us again at the Best Western Plus City Centre Quebec the next time you are in Quebec City.
Sainte-Catherine, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed 31 March 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a weekend getaway and to visit old quebec city. There is valet parking which costs 20$ per day and the front desk clerks were really friendly and informative. They checked us in to our business class room and gave us directions on uow to get to the old port and where things were. The room had a king sized bed and the bathrooms were nice as well. There is an italian restaurant in the hotel which serves meals from 18- 40$ and u can have a buffet breakfast for around 10$. Overall this was a great stay. We appreciated the service, the room and the walking distance from old quebec city

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Kayla L
Genevieve_Hebert123, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Plus City Centre/Centre-Ville, responded to this review, 3 April 2013
Bonjour!
Thank you very much for this very positive review on your stay at the Best Western Plus City Centre Quebec. I appreciate that you took the time to post it. Your feedback is appreciated. Indeed, our staff is always willing to suggest must see attractions, activities to do, events to attend and give information on how to get to it. Whether you are here for a romantic getaway, a family escape or a business trip, taking care of our guests is the best part of our job :) Although you appreciated your meal at Settimo Cielo restaurant, I would like to inform all travelers that our restaurant is getting a makeover as we speak! The Settimo Cielo as you knew before does not exist anymore. It will be replaced by our new Bistro Le 330 which offers a North American bistro cuisine type. The opening is scheduled for May 2013. We are very excited about that it and hope it will live up to everyone’s expectations! Again, thank you very much for taking the time to write this review. We would be pleased to have you stay with us at the Best Western Plus City Centre Quebec the next time you are in Quebec City. We look forward to it!