“Great hotel in downtown Quebec City”

Best Western Plus City Centre/Centre-Ville
Ranked #37 of 102 Hotels in Quebec City
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Staff at this hotel are warm and friendly (despite the bitter December cold and snow outside) and that includes the valet service.
Great location - very close to downtown and all attractions including Old Quebec.
Beds are super comfortable and I had a fantastic sleep.
I would highly recommend this property for anyone visiting Quebec City.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Marie-Eve C, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Plus City Centre/Centre-Ville, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Bonjour!
Thank you for your great review about your stay at the Best Western Plus City Centre Quebec. I appreciate that you took the time to post it. I am glad you enjoyed the walk to the old city area. We are very proud of our privileged location in the city, making almost all of Quebec sight and attractions easy to reach for our guests by walk. We are indeed perfectly suited to discover the old walled city, which is 1.2 Km from the hotel or about 15 minutes walking distance, but also many other winter interests areas as the Petit Champlain district and the brand new Skating ring on the Abraham Park. Also, be sure I was very pleased to share your good comments with our entire team. Since the service is our first priority, we are continuously improving our level of performance to offer our customers the most amazing experience as possible and we sincerely thank you for your appreciation. Again, thank you for your good comments and recommendations. It was a true pleasure to have you stay with us and we hope you will visit us again the next time you are in Quebec City. We look forward to it!

Reviewed 29 December 2013

The location is good. 5 minutes drive to downtown/old town. 20 minutes walk to downtown.
Rooms are clean, service is great.
Rooms are spacious.
As a frequent traveler, I would say it is one of the best hotels from money/value perspective.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank OlegHope
Marie-Eve C, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Plus City Centre/Centre-Ville, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

Bonjour!

Thank you very much for this very positive review on your stay at the Best Western Plus City Centre Quebec. I appreciate that you took the time to post it. Your feedback is appreciated. Indeed, our staff is always willing to suggest must see attractions, activities to do, events to attend and give information on how to get to it. Whether you are here for a romantic getaway, a family escape or a business trip, taking care of our guests is the best part of our job . Our great location effectively offers a good opportunity to visit the Old Quebec City for all travelers, as well as the Old port of Quebec and more local areas as the St-Joseph Street. Even for those who do not want to walk or drive, the Old Quebec City is easy to reach using the public transportation. For only 3$ per person, and couple of steps to reach the corner of the street, you will get directly to the Old Québec City without any problem! Again, thank you very much for taking the time to write this review. We would be pleased to have you stay with us at the Best Western Plus City Centre Quebec the next time you are in Quebec City. We look forward to it!

Reviewed 28 December 2013

I took a winter trip to Quebec and wanted a hotel within walking distance of Old Quebec because I knew it would be pretty cold. It was about a 10-15 minute walk (not bad at all) and by the second day I had the route from the hotel to Old Quebec memorized. The area is nice and I felt safe walking around at night. The hotel staff was very friendly…my French is extremely limited as I only took a few classes in college, so I was relieved when I discovered that the staff (much like most other people in Quebec) also spoke English.
Hotel dinner was a bit pricey (as they usually are) but the waiters made it worth it…they were awesome and hilarious and took the time to give us some tips on seeing all of the best parts of Quebec.
Quebec is very beautiful in December and this hotel was clean, comfortable and in a convenient location. It is about $20/night for valet, which is well-worth it especially in winter when the snow just covers your car (they scrape it off for you). If I ever find myself in Quebec again I will be sure to stay here again!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Bonjour,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review concerning your stay at the Best Western Plus City Centre Quebec. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. As a matter of fact, the importance of a clean and well-maintained hotel has become the number one priority for guests, just like you. We take several steps to ensure to deliver clean room daily, so guest can enjoy the comfort of our room free of mind. As the service, cleanliness is one of our most important priority and we are very proud to read that you enjoyed the quality of our establishment! Be sure I was very pleased to share such good comments with our front desk and housekeeping staff, which strive daily to offer our guests the most amazing stay as possible. It is very important for us to provide our guests an experience that exceed their expectations and always improve our level of performance! Concerning the valet service, our 22$ plus taxes per night valet service provides you a simple and secure place to park with unlimited in an out privilege. This option, especially during the winter time, is the easiest solution to avoid guests from struggling to find parking. However, I would like to precise that the valet service is absolutely not mandatory. It was a pleasure to have you stay with us and we hope you will visit us again at the Best Western Plus City Centre Quebec the next time you are in Québec City. We look forward to it.

Reviewed 27 December 2013

The rooms are spacious which is a rarity in this day and age. I speak average French and this Hotel is in the heart of French Quebec. When I spoke French I got many blank stares back from staffers at the Hotel as if they cannot speak French which I found odd. When I spoke English they seemed to understand me completely. I used their restaurant only once in a handful of days because the first night I was in it cost me around 30 dollars for a small steak with just a few fries and a very small amount of veggies. Not what you usually get for 30 bucks tax in with no alcohol or dessert. The selection of movies that you can watch in your room is narrow-several recent blockbusters but not much for anyone who likes anything else. There is not much in the area immediately around the Hotel unless you are into gay saunas which isnt really my thing personally. The capuccinos in the Hotel coffee shop sent me right to the bathroom without mercy. Like I said, most people would find this Hotel more than satisfactory. Me, not so much. Overall, I would only give it an average rating. .

Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo

Bonjour!

Thank you for your comments concerning your stay at the Best Western Plus City Centre Quebec. I appreciate that you took the time post them. I am very surprised to read that you had trouble to be served in French. Since Quebec City is a French city, all of our staff is originally French speaking and has English as a second language. Multilingual staff members are very important for us and the agility of languages is a priority, especially in the tourism industry. As a matter of fact, our staff members currently speak French, English, Spanish and Portuguese. I am very sorry if you had any trouble being understood and I hope you will accept my most sincere apologies. Concerning our location, I am very disappointed to read that you did not enjoy our area. Situated in the Nouvo St-Roch district, there are multiple beautiful streets and areas that offer our guests a great range of restaurants, boutiques, cafés, etc. Moreover, we are only 15 minutes walking distance from the Old Quebec City, in which you may enjoy the finest restaurants, bars, boutiques and activities that Quebec City has to offer. I am sorry you have not been informed of those great places and I may assure you that the service is our most important priorities. We strive daily to offer our guest the most enjoyable stay as possible. Again, we appreciate your patronage and we will be pleased to have you stay with us at the Best Western City Centre Quebec the next time you are in Québec City. I can assure you we will do everything we can to make your stay a comfortable one.

Reviewed 25 December 2013

I am now a regular in this hotel. It's the 6th or 7th time I am spending time here and this time, I am here for six days during the Holidays. So, I tried multiple rooms in my previous stays, seen pretty much everybody in action and here's what keeps me coming back :

1 - the staff. Comes from the top out as I spoke with two managers so far and they were both stars of customer relations ( yes I'm talking about you mss. Cyr and Hebert ) and it reflects on the staff at reception ( just because I know your names but not excluding the others I will say great job to Laura ( thanks for not making too much fun of me for the shower situation ), Maxime and Alexandre ) I gave them a little tip money as they were here on Christmas eve for us, me included and wanted to show my appreciation and received a card and chocolates on my door in the next hour saying thank you showing they are being nice for free and can appreciate a little extra thanks which is very good manners to me. The house cleaning staff are to congratulate too since I find the cleanliness is spot on.

2 - the price. Come on, it is a 15 minutes walk to the old city. I get it. It is also a 9.00$ taxi ride tip included and will make you save about 50 - 70.00$ a night on a comparable hotel in the old town part of Quebec. The only way it is not worth it is if you want the best view of Quebec city from your window. Then, ok, fine, you should go elsewhere but other than that, this is the best value for your money in Quebec city. By the way, there is a bus runing every 7-8 minutes taking you from the street next to the hotel to the old city / principal restaurants-clubs arteries in about 5 minutes for 3.00$ each way ( last time I checked, it might be 3.25 now ). The bus number is 801 and it runs both on Dorchester ( going up town ) and de la Couronne ( coming back ) for those days where you don't feel like walking and you are alone to pay the taxi and there are great restaurants where locals actually go one street from the hotel. Go and try the "Clocher penché", the "les Bossus" and one my favorites in all quebec city : the "l'affaire est ketchup". Also : one of my favorite things to do when I was living in Quebec was to go walk and or run along the St-Charles river which is 3 minutes from the hotel and will bring you all the way to the old port / old city. Most tourists won't ever do this so why not you?

3 - the quietness and the comfort. Most of the rooms are very quiet and the mattresses / pillows are just so comfortable. Having visited other Best Westerns in the world, it seems to be one of the constants. Maybe it is actually a bulk purchase and they are the same mattresses everywhere in the world but, so far, they were all super cozy.

4 - the cleanliness. The rooms are carpeted and I don't feel bad walking around barefooted which speaks for itself.

Now, I have said it and will say it again : the parking is expensive in my view. On the other hand, I am glad that they are charging full price for parking to those who have cars instead of spreading the charge to every room to make it less expensive for those with cars and more expensive for everybody else. Doesn't affect me as I am carless when in Quebec city but if I had a car, I would walk 3 minutes to go and park my car where the hotel is actually parking them and pay 12$ a day instead of 25$ although having someone else go and get it for you at -28 on a cold december day might be worth every extra $.

Room Tip: Not much to say, every room so far has been great but I guess the rooms giving on the inside ( windo...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank doumdoum1976

Bonjour!

Thank you for your positive review about your recent stay at the Best Western Plus City Centre Quebec. The perfect 5/5 score you gave us is really appreciated. Your comments will be passed on to our staff, knowing that it will serve as an inspiration to continue their efforts in leading the industry in guest satisfaction. Pleased guests is our staff’s greatest reward! We are glad to know that you appreciated the quality of your room. We are effectively very proud to offer Quebec mattresses in our entire rooms. I am sure that the memory foam comfort of the Essentia mattresses combined with the smoothness of our pillows provide our guests a great sleep. The type and brand of the mattresses are not regulated in the Best Western chain, but the comfort is! Every hotel is then mandatory to offer his guests beds that would keep them asleep! Again, thank you for your feedback. It was a true pleasure to have you stay with us and we all look forward to welcome you again! Best regards!

Reviewed 1 December 2013

Its very well located you can literally get to the old town in 10 minutes. The rooms are very comfortable. We stayed at the hotel for 2 nights with 3 friends, we fit perfect in the room. Its for sure very good quality for a best western. Its seems to be brand new. Breakfast is great as well.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Marie-Eve C, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Plus City Centre/Centre-Ville, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2013

Bonjour!

Thank you for your great review about your stay at the Best Western Plus City Centre Quebec. I appreciate that you took the time to post it. I am glad you enjoyed the walk to the old city area. We are very proud of our privileged location in the city, making almost all of Quebec sight and attractions easy to reach for our guests by walk. We are indeed perfectly suited to discover the old walled city, which is 1.2 Km from the hotel or about 15 minutes walking distance, but also many other winter interests areas as the Christmas Market, the Petit Champlain area and the brand new Skating ring on the Abraham Park. Moreover, we effectively have an onsite restaurant which offers breakfasts and dinners! I am glad you enjoyed your meal with us, since our restaurant has been recently completely renovated. You may even enjoy a “breakfast rate” when booking on the Best Western International website or directly with the hotel reservation personnel, for the same rate as the regular one. You are then provided with an exquisite complimentary full American breakfast, which value up to 15$ per person plus taxes! On top of this offer, you may even get a 10% discount if you are AAA/CAA member! This way, you will enjoy a good breakfast without worrying about the winter weather! Again, thank you for your good comments. It was a true pleasure to have you stay with us and we hope you will visit us again the next time you are in Quebec City. We look forward to it!

Reviewed 17 November 2013

Got a hotwire deal and am so glad we stayed here. About a 15 minute walk to old town and very close with great parking if you go to the parking lot about 2 minutes away from the hotel which charges $12 a day. The hotel was very clean and the house keeping was very kind by giving us extra shampoo and towels. Clean rooms. Great value if you don't want to spend lots. Right by tons of restaurants so you don't have to spend tons on Old Town food if you don't want to eat spend a lot. Comfortable with free WiFi. Great deal, kind staff very nice.

Room Tip: Avoid the main floor rooms.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Pam S
mecyr, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Plus City Centre/Centre-Ville, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

Bonjour!

Thank you for your generous review about your stay at the Best Western Plus City Centre Quebec. We appreciate that you took the time to post it. The housekeeping service staff is continuously improving their level of performance to offer our customers the most amazing experience as possible and we sincerely thank you for your appreciation. You may be sure I was very pleased to share your good comments with our Housekeeping Manager! I would like to clarify first that we offer a valet parking which is 22$ plus taxes per night and include in and out privileges. This kind of parking is, according to us, a must in Quebec City due to the fact that streets are really small and there is not much self-parking and parking lots in the Downtown area. The valet parking is, then, the easiest and even, usually, the cheapest way to park. However, there are no obligations for you to take this service. Many public parking, as you said, are located close by the hotel. The price may vary from one parking to the other, depending on the period of usage (week days or weekend, day or night) and total time spent. Please, keep in mind, though, that those parking are couple of minutes walking distance from the hotel and do not offer in and out privilege access, which both can be less convenient. Once again, thank you for your comments and we hope you will think of us when you will be back in Quebec City.