“Too noisy to sleep - hotel room not fit for purpose”

Best Western Plus City Centre/Centre-Ville
Ranked #38 of 101 Hotels in Quebec City
GreenLeadersGold level
Berks
“Too noisy to sleep - hotel room not fit for purpose”
Reviewed 11 February 2009

I was assigned a room on the top floor. After receiving a parking ticket in town (only 3 minutes overdue) I decided to leave the car there and get up early in the morning (the hotel parking looked a bit tricky and expensive).

However there was so much humming noise coming from the ceiling (buggered HVAC bearings?) that I found it impossible to get to sleep. The primary purpose of *any* hotel is to have a bed to sleep in; if the room is too noisy then it's not fit for purpose. The staff couldn't or wouldn't assign me another room, wouldn't provide me with sleeping pills, and wouldn't offer me anything better than a marginal discount. Not at all impressed.

Ended up staying at a $30-ish-per-night motel somewhere near Sainte-Eulalie.

Location-wise I knew it was a bit out of the way, though the distance is compounded by a pretty steep hill.

If I ever return to Quebec City, I'll be staying at the Clarendon. Much nicer experience in every dimension.

• Stayed August 2007, travelled solo
BWCV-Manager, MAnager at Best Western Plus City Centre/Centre-Ville, responded to this review, 5 August 2009
Thank you for you comments following your stay at the Best Western City Centre Quebec. I appreciate your taking the time to write a review and hope you will accept my apologies for any inconvenience you experienced.I am disappointed we failed to give you the fine accommodations and services that you were expecting. We appreciate your patronage and hope you will stay with us at the Best Western City Centre Quebec the next time you are in Québec City. I can assure you we will do everything we can to make your stay comfortable.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
  • Korean first
College Park, MD
Reviewed 11 February 2009

The hotel is okay, not really central to old Quebec. The room was nothing special with an oddly-placed sofa in front of the window. The view was nothing special - the rooftops of old Quebec. The restaurant was nothing special, but a bit pricy. The neighbourhood was okay, not dangerous but somehow everything seemed a trot.

But oh the parking. What a pain. Drawback 1 is the unavoidable great long wait at the front desk to get your free parking token; you have to stand in line with all the people checking in in the evening or out in the morning. What a bore. I had to wait one morning for 8 minutes in a crowded lobby just to get to my car. Drawback 2 is the great long walk to the car. What tedium. What a dingy hallway. Drawback 3 is the tiny parking stalls that require great skill to get in and out of - thank goodness for power steering.

I was in Quebec for business and then for pleasure; when my business was done I check out of that pain of a hotel and went someplace else which was much better.

• Liked — Leaving it with a spring in my step.
  • Disliked — The painful problematic parking palaver.
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
BWCV-Manager, Manager at Best Western Plus City Centre/Centre-Ville, responded to this review, 5 August 2009
First, we would like to thank you for your comments and review following your recent stay in Quebec City. The hotel offers a valet service for parking at 18.00$/car/day with in and out privileges. Quebec City and its city center is a "walkable" city therefore we do invite you to discover the only walled city located north of Mexico and its attractions.
Washington, UK
Reviewed 11 January 2009

Booked a one night stay for around 60 Canadian Dollars, so I didn't have high expectations.

Well, after the taxi driver (who got paid 40 Dollars) from the Airport dropped me at reception I was met by David. He spoke English, he was welcoming, sincere and very pleasant.

He switched my twin room to a king room, without me requesting, the room itself was spacious, not too warm but it was -12 degrees outside. He also rang my room 10 mins later to ask if everything was okay (first time ever I've experienced that kind of service).

He was also more than happy to give me some tourist advice and he is certainly an asset to the hotel.

I tried the pool, but the water was really cold - it actually needed increasing by at least 5-8 degrees to be swimable. But the hot tub was nice and warm, but was very busy with people coming and going all the time.

I didn't try the restaurant or breakfast, but I had a very good time at this hotel.

• Stayed December 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
First, we would like to thank you for your comments and review following your recent stay in Quebec City. Our hotel is located city center in the new revitalized St Roch district across the street from the Quebec City Public Library and within 15 - 20 minutes walking distance from the Historic Old City.Thank you for taking the time to tell us, by Tripadvisor, of your satisfaction with our accommodations and service during your recent visit at our hotel. We consider dedicated and competent staff members, like David (front desk), as our most valuable asset. He was pleased that you acknowledged his efforts.
Mascouche, Canada
Reviewed 6 January 2009

Upsides: Price 113$ CDN for an hotel in downtown Quebec, kinda cheap! Everything was brand new in our room, especially in our bathroom... Great service at desk

Downsides: TV was small and old, water pressure for the shower was horrible, parking was a lot of trouble, staying there 4-5 years ago, they've got a free parking underneath hotel, but it's been condemned for structural damages. You got to pay 14 $CDN for a place at a nearby parking spot that is 2-3 min by foot or 18$ with a valet from the hotel

• Liked — Cheap for the quality of staying
  • Disliked — Parking spots...
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
First, we would like to thank you for your comments and review following your recent stay in Quebec City. Before, we had "reserved space" at the Public Parking Place Jacques Cartier for the hotel guest. 3 years ago, the city want to make renovation, the authority closed the Place Jacques Cartier Parking; the renovation are not finish yet. Alternate solution for our guest is a valet service for parking at 18.00$/car/day with in and out privileges. Public parking are also available around the hotel. Quebec City and its city center is a "walkable" city therefore we do invite you to discover the only walled city located north of Mexico and its attractions.