“Great stay at Petit Hotel”
Review of Au Petit Hotel

Au Petit Hotel
Ranked #22 of 120 Quebec City B&B and Inns
Superior, Colorado
“Great stay at Petit Hotel”
Reviewed 21 October 2008

This was my third time at the Petit Hotel, and I would come back anytime. The location is amazing, right within the walled city, and within easy walking distance to everything you want to see. It is also very clean and reasonably priced, and I like the feel of staying in this small, nicely decorated hotel.

This time we stayed in a room on the ground floor (room 30), which you got to through a little door from the parking lot of the hotel. It was a very nice room, with a new and very clean bathroom with a shower and toilet. The sink was in the room, which was very practical to get ready in the morning. There was also a TV in the room, a hair dryer, and an AC (for summer), and they now also have wireless internet, but I did not use it, so I don't know if it's free or if you have to pay. If you have a room in the main part of the hotel (as I did last time), you need to know that the door downstairs is locked after 2 am, and you have to climb some stairs to get to your room. No problem for most people, but if you don't like stairs or want to come home extra late, ask for a room in one of the two other parts of the hotel with outside ground level access and/or your own key.

The bed was very comfortable, and the breakfast that they offer in your room for $2.50 p.P. is a good deal for a basic, tasty breakfast: You get coffee/tea, orange juice, a nice croissant, one piece of toast, some fruit, jam, and butter, all on a little table in your room. Parking is available at the hotel (about $10/day extra). The staff was nice at the check in, but since we did not have to go through the main part of the hotel we did not interact much with them after that.

Stayed October 2008
3 Thank ArcticMontreal

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed 5 October 2008

My husband and I stayed at Au Petit Hotel for 4 nights in late July. Overall our stay there was good. I had read previous reviews so I was expecting the worst! but Au Petit Hotel exceeded our expectations. Yes the rooms are older, and quite basic, but they are clean and have everything you need. We had a room with our own bathroom, and the bathroom was quite new. Also, for the price I thought it was excellent, everything else I looked at was quite a bit more expensive. They also had free wireless internet! We found the front desk staff helpful and friendly, and nothing went wrong with our room, parking etc. So yes, you can expect it to be basic, and the hotel is old, but it is quite acceptable overall, and a fantastic location! Right inside the walled city.

• Liked — Free wireless internet, reasonable price for room and parking
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank VancouverKiwi76
texas
Reviewed 17 May 2008

Stayed here in 2006 & returned in May 2008. I agree 100% with the prior review by "David-Sydney_Aust" in that you get a comfortable place to stay in a perfect location (within the walled city). Both times I have stayed in the main building, which does indeed have a circular staircase to navigate. I can see where a rare traveler would have difficulty.

This time we had room 24, on the third floor. One bed, cable TV, & the bathroom seemed to have been recently remodeled. The room is smaller than typical hotel rooms, but for me that is not an issue. My wife & I were comfortable. The ladies who ran the place were always pleasant & we enjoyed conversing with them. Each day we would walk around the corner & discover a new place for breakfast.

Again, this is a no-frills hotel. Yes, the carpet is old. No, there is no hair dryer in the room. No, there is no extravagant lobby, business center, or internet access. As long as you understand these points, you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank magoorx
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 9 April 2008

This is not the Hilton, but you couldn't pick a better location. A quaint old hotel with no frills. It's in the heart of the old walled city and within walking distance to everything. The staff are pleasant enough and I've never had cause for complaint any of the times I've stayed there. I was so happy to find this place.

The rooms are basic but clean and comfortable. I choose to stay in one of the rooms that are off the courtyard. They are larger and are not inside the main building that has several flights of stairs. That was you have just your own door off the balcony and your car is below.

I don't come to stay in the room but to explore the city. I don't want to pay a fortune but want it to be clean and comfortable. I'll be staying there again on my next visit to Canada.

• Liked — Quaint place in superb location
  • Disliked — Rooms in main building not as good.
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
WEST COAST
Reviewed 26 August 2007

I have always relied on Lonley Planet Directories--but lately, their recommended stays are off the mark. The way this place was described sounded so lovely, but when experienced, left much to be desired. I found this facility to be pricey for what little it offered. Rooms are so-so at best. There's better out there--besides, the management was cold and brusque in manner and treated patrons with a suspicious attitude. (some of the other guests agreed with me when I asked if they found this to be so) All I can say is:good luck if you choose this place!

2 Thank Mauri6
Australia
Reviewed 28 June 2007

I have stayed at this quaint little hotel twice during the previous 12 months, once as a party of two and recently as a party of four. The Hotel is located in a convenient location inside the wall of the old city providing walking distance to all restaurants and tourist attractions. Au Petit is made up of two buildings. The main building contains the single & double rooms, which are comfortably small along with the bathroom which can be a tight squeeze. Located opposite are the family rooms, which contain two double beds and an en-suite. These rooms are comfortable for four people. Each time I have stayed at this hotel it has been very clean, the beds very comfortable and the location quiet close enough to the action but far away to not be disturbed by all the noise. Parking is available for a cost of $8.00 per day, and suggest taking up the offer of breakfast $5.00 which consists of croissant, toast, fresh fruit, condiments, tea/coffee and juice – this is a great deal for Quebec. If visiting for the Winter Festival, suggest booking in early as the rooms will fill up fast!

• Liked — Excellent location and service
  • Disliked — Parking is available, but get in early.
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with friends
4 Thank Curlisue71
Halifax, NS
Reviewed 18 October 2006

Previous reviews of this hotel seem to overrate it. It does have some good points - the quiet cul-de-sac, the outer appearance is charming, the bathroom in our room was recently renovated and clean, the room seemed clean, the staff were friendly during our limited contact with them, there was a TV that worked with cable, and the price can't be beaten. But, the charm is limited to the exterior. The rooms are STARK. Sloppily painted in glaring white, flimsy doors, flimsy bedding (the blanket only comes halfway up the bed and the pillows are completely flat), old shabby furniture, and our room was freezing cold when we arrived (it was October). The only source of heat in the room was a cheap looking plastic heater of some sort on the wall that I didn't trust very much to not ignite while we were sleeping. They will charge you extra for anything possible, including charges by the minute for late check out and parking by the hour. And there were notes to their clients written all over the room in black marker. Au Petit Hotel is adequate if your only criteria is price and nothing more than a place to sleep, but if you are looking for any degree of charm or comfort, this is not the place for you. Definitely does not deserve the five stars previous reviewers have given it.

• Liked — location, price, clean renovated bathroom
  • Disliked — the room - old shabby furniture, flimsy bedding, stark
  • Tips/Secrets — come here ONLY if your only consideration is price. It's decent but there are NO frills.
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled as a couple