“Great Stay at the des Pres”
Review of Hotel ALT Quebec

Hotel ALT Quebec
Ranked #30 of 102 Hotels in Quebec City
Reviewed 8 August 2007

Picked this hotel based on reviews on this site, the reviews I read were accurate and helpful.

Location: Obviously not in the center of Old Quebec... it's in the burbs! But it's not too bad. The ride from the airport is closer, it was $18 (as opposed to the $30 flat rate to downtown). It's on a really main boulevard with a very convenient and frequent bus (#800/801) downtown (15 minute ride, $2.50 one way). We took the Viarail train to Montreal and there is a stop in Saint Foy, that is close to the hotel (5 minute -$6 cab ride) so that was convenient too. So the location didn't bother us at all.

Hotel is ultra "modern". Our room had a very high ceiling with a very clean linear look . The look is not what I would do with my house, but it was fun for a weekend. The bathroom is spare, but functional (great waterpressure!). Very comfortable and well appointed room. Great for buisiness travelers, with a full desk and free internet (why can't all hotels have free wi-fi?!?!?)

Service was flawless, bilingual and friendly. Restaurant/room service was reasonable and tasty (only had breakfast).

So overall, a great stay. One of the cheaper places we saw. (though - across the street/ and near-by there seemed to be cheaper places which I'd consider staying at if we went again, if money were an issue). But, for the money, you get a very clean, modern room with good service and a decent location.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank MisterChinn

Reviewed 8 July 2007

This was a last minute stay; however we were delighted with the service and accommodations. The rooms are small; however modern finishes and a delightful bed make this hotel a top choice in the Quebec City area. I would strongly recomend this hotel for travelers willing to forgo staying in the downtown Quebec area.

Stayed: June 2007
4  Thank Toronto-realist
Reviewed 28 May 2007

I had the deluxe room which was absolutely beautiful, peaceful modern decor (you can even choose between light and dark wood!), fabulous bathroom, great toiletteries etc. It is probably the nicest or one of the nicest hotels in the Ste Foy area where there are mostly older motel types. The location is excellent - right across the street from Place Laurier which has 350 stores, followed by Place de la Cite and then Place Ste Foy (I personally liked that mall the best). They do not have an exercise room but do have privileges with club entrain which is in Place de la Cite - there is a charge of 7$ plus tax. What truly set this place apart from the many other hotels in which I have stayed the last several years, is the service. I am so tired of noncaring employees, rude service etc. Every single person working in this hotel was polite, professional, and went the extra mile to be helpful and caring. It was quite amazing. I required a lot of help from the concierge before I arrived - I had to book a driver and limousine and until the last moment was not sure as to where I needed to go or what train station was best for my arrival etc. Stephanie took care of everything and made all the arrangements - she was super. The driver was super as well - Richard Penney at Limousine A1. After my business appointment was over - I asked him to show me around. He is extremely knowledgeable about the history and the area and took me everywhere, to the old city, ile d'orleans, montmorency falls, you name it - it was money well spent. Back to the hotel staff.... each night they turn down the bed, leave chocolates, and leave a card telling you the weather for the next day --- lots of little touches that make you feel pampered. I had the message in the room - also a wonderful experience. Although not in the heart of the old quebec city, it was a quick cab ride there - and cost about $20. You can also take the bus if you wish.
If I had to identify some negatives, they would be: There is a service charge to use the phone and long distance service charges that did not make it a wise choice to make my calls from the room. I would have liked to be in bed and be able to call home etc. There is a coffee pot in the room but the coffee is in the honor bar tray and there is a charge for that. They had free green apples left each day in the hallway on a tray for the floor - I would have preferred a free pot of coffee each day.
On the whole, it was a safe, clean, relaxing place and I recommend it highly.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled on business
6  Thank cohenprof
Reviewed 18 October 2006

Stayed at the Germain for one night on a romantic interlude away from our kids. Being from Montreal and having been to Quebec City many times, we did not feel compelled to stay in the old city. Although an easy 15 minutes drive from Old Quebec, the Germain is in a more modern and commercial area of the city. The hotel rate (about $125 including breakfast), free parking and proximity to one of our favorite restaurants (in the world) "Le Bistango", did it for us. This boutique style hotel is extremely stylish and comfortable. The rooms have been recently remodelled, they look fabulous with a dark decor and large size flat screen TV and the beds are very comfortable. We slept like babies. As for their wonderful adjacent restaurant "Le Bistango", it was full and bustling on that friday night and the food was as usual ... divine for the price. This has to be one of the best values you will ever find. Only drawback perhaps... the modern shower has no door which means that a cool draft comes in and water spills out all over the bathroom floor. Highly recommend the Germain !

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
6  Thank RobCh
Reviewed 23 March 2006

I have stayed at le Germain des Pres on a number of occasions for business. The rooms are quite small but, they are well appointed. The beds are comfortable and the linens are inviting. The staff couldn't be nicer or more professional. Le Bistango (the hotel restaurant)does not serve your generic hotel resaurant fare(try the angus filet with aged cheddar and balsamic reduction). What the hotel lacks in historic surroundings, it makes up with proximity to great shopping. It is directly across the street from the start a network of 4 malls which give the shops in Montreal a run for their money.

In a previous review, I read tht one customer wasn't impressed with the bathrooms and I have to agree that in some rooms they are average (except for the lovely Aveda toileteries) but, I stayed in one of the recently renovated rooms and the bathrooms are wonderful with rainshower showerheads.

I have tried a number of diffenent hotels in the Quebec City/Ste-Foy area, and this hotel has consitently been the best option (especially for the price).

Stayed: March 2006
8  Thank jetset1967
Reviewed 22 June 2005

A previous review compares Germain des Pres with other hotels in the chain - and this is terribly unfair. I stay at this hotel for business on a regular basis and I would NEVER be able to find the same level of service and comfort for the same price elsewhere.

If you look at the prices of rooms at Le Germain in Montreal or Hotel Dominion, you will find them almost double what you will pay at Germain des Pres. The only drawback is location but it is fine for business travellers, and for tourists who do not mind driving to other places in town.

The bed are great, rooms are modern and clean, bathrooms totally functional, staff is courteous - and check the great food at le Bistango. I recommend this hotel to anyone who does not mind staying in the suburbs of the city.

• Stayed: April 2005, travelled on business
3  Thank Maryse
Reviewed 26 December 2004

I found this hotel to be more than adequately appointed. The staff is friendly and the on-site restauraunt is very nice. The rooms are small but cozy. I enjoyed bith visits and only sorry that each time was for just one night.

5  Thank Ucebray