“Middle of nowhere.”

Travelodge Hotel & Convention Center Quebec City
Ranked #91 of 101 Hotels in Quebec City
“Middle of nowhere.”
Reviewed 20 November 2012 via mobile

Boon docks location. No stores or a choice of restaurants within walking distance.
My room looks renovated but had a soiled bedspread. Free low speed Internet with intermittent connection. Ice machine out of order, sad gift shop and advertisement for a restaurant in the hotel that does not exists.

• Stayed November 2012
Eric N, Front Office Manager at Travelodge Hotel & Convention Center Quebec City, responded to this review, 10 January 2013
Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for sharing your feedback from your last stay with us. Needless to say I was disspointed to acknowledge that we have not met your expectations.

However, we would like to inform you that it is possible to have lunch or dinner at Soba, located next door. The restaurant serves dishes inspired from asia and meet the tastes of the whole family.

S. Bouchard

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
St. Albert, Canada
Reviewed 24 October 2012

My wife & I will celebrate our 50th anniversary on april 20/2013. We had our wedding reception at the Holiday Inn -now, the Clarion Hotel. Ours was the very FIRST wedding reception in the newly opened hotel. When we checked into the the Clarion on October 10 of this year, my wife related this story to the very friendly clerk on the dest; he excused himself and told the story to the hotel manager on duty. They rthen informed us that they had a surprise for us, and promptly upgraded us to the executive suite (room 1214).
The suite had been recently renovated and it was amazing! we were in awe of the furnishings and rooms - especially the stunning view from the HUGE floor to ceiling windos overlooking the St. Lawrence and Pierre LaPorte Bridge.
The best part of this story of our amazing stay at the Clarion, is NOT the fact that the suite was given to us at the very low price of oour original booking, but rather the friendly, courteous & enthusiastic service we received from the desk clerk, manager and ALL staff that we encountered during oour two day stay. Thank You!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Terry B
Eric N, General Manager at Travelodge Hotel & Convention Center Quebec City, responded to this review, 7 November 2012
Dear Guest

I would like to thank you for taking your time to write such a great story concerning your most recent stay at our hotel. I was delight to acknowledge that our staff went the extra mile to make your stay a wonderful experience such as you describe. I hope we will have the opportunity to serve you again and I wwould like to wish you a warm congratulation for your wedding anniversary.

Sincerely

Ankara, Turkey
Reviewed 22 October 2012

I stayed at this hotel on July, 2012 and I booked two rooms. First of all receptionist gave us two kind room. Little bit good room and a worst room in the hotel. (Toilet doesn't have a faucet, you have to wash your hand in the room because faucet in the room, ridiculous) Finally she changed my room with standart room. Standart hotel, not very well, outside the city, if you don't have a car you'll got a problem.
This is good: Free wi-fi and free parking.

Room Tip: Do not take a room first floor. (entrance floor) I guess worst rooms are at this floor.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tuzunengin
Dear guest

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review concerning you stay at our hotel. Needless to say I was disspointed to acknowledge some of your disspointments three months after your stay as I am convience that we could fix any problems you have mentionned. We do have 231 rooms and 80% of our invnetory has been renovated during the last few years and we are planning to complete this ambitious project within the year 2013.For your information In July one of the best way to get to the city center is by bus which we do have a stop right at the exit of our parking. The bus system is very good and it takes less than an 30 minutes to get you to town. It also avoid to pay parking fees. I hope we will have the opportunity to serve you again

Sincerly

Ottawa
Reviewed 21 October 2012

I had not been badly surprised by a hotel in a few year but this time I got the full treatment.

Everything in the hotel is in need of renovation, it is badly outdated.

My room was one the first floor are the wallpaper was coming off the wall in many place, the window has started to rot, the AC was the noisiest ever. The bathroom set up is weird. You have the sink in the closet, it looks like an oversight as if they forgot to include it in the bathrom when the built it. For those who like to sleep late, we could hear the vacuum cleaning on the floor above us at about 8:30 sound it is not sound proof too much.

The pool does not look great and the there was a leek in the ceiling of the reception.

The hotel is promoting their exterior renovation coming soon. They should definitely focus on the room inside to improve the customer`s stay rather then the exterior.

On the positive side, the staff was pleasant and helpful and the price was really reasonnable.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Eric N, General Manager at Travelodge Hotel & Convention Center Quebec City, responded to this review, 2 November 2012
Dear Guest

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review concerning your most recent stay at our hotel. Needless to say I was disspointed to acknowledge that we have not met your expectations. I would like to let you know that we have 231 rooms available in the hotel and 80% of them have been recently renovated. It may appear that you have stay in the rooms that we are planning to improve within the year 2013. I would be gla to have the opportunity to serve you again in either our actual updated business or superior room and soon in our renovated category.

Sincerly

Travellers are raving about these Quebec City hotels

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 4 October 2012

I usually stayed at the Clarion hotel for many years. For several months I decided to stay at other hotels in the Quebec area that were more new. Although the "other hotels" were adequate,it was not in my opinion the best for frequent business travellers. I did not find they offered the same quality accommodations and price point as the Clarion Hotel.

The Clarion has had a complete exterior facelift which looks really very nice, the staff is as pleasant as usual and were very glad to see that I had returned,this hotel makes your stay comfortable and wants you to book again.

One of my pet peeves with the "other hotels" were noise and very bad internet service and when you work in a field that requires a good internet connection they did not cut it actually some hotels did not allow connections to databases.

This is not the case at the Clarion internet speed if extremely good and the room work area is very comfortable on the 11th and 12 floors.

If you are a business traveller do not hesitate to go to this hotel if you need to relax at night or have quiet while you work this is the place. The only short comings is that there is nothing around (like across the street) its in a residential area, but 5 min in any direction by car you will find ther a ton of restaurants,bars clubs,attractions ect.

I will no longer go elsewhere there is no reason to.

Regards
R. Lutchman

Room Tip: For business book the executive class rooms and get a members card its free and you get news papers...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Dear Mr Lutchman

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review concerning your overall experience at our hotel. Your comments have been extremly appreciated by our staff as it is always a pleasure to have you with us. I am glad that you enjoyed the exterior face lift our the hotel, our internet service and the many restaurants around our facility. In 2013 we are planning to improve many other areas of the hotel. We are looking forward to serve you again in the near future.

Respectfully

Mississauga
Reviewed 8 September 2012

We stayed here at the end of August. We arrived late and booked the hotel upon arrival. I have learned a lesson from staying at this hotel. Always check out the room thoroughly when you arrive. After the kids were put to bed, I wanted to use the washroom and it smelled awful of urine. Because the kids were tucked away to bed, we didn't bother ask for a new room as it was so late. Just an awful bathroom experience. The beds were otherwise comfortable but overall, the hotel seemed dingy, maybe if the bathroom experience wasn't so bad, the hotel may have not seemed so bad.

Room Tip: Check out the room thoroughly when you first enter and make sure the bathroom is clean.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank MichelleSG
Eric N, General Manager at Travelodge Hotel & Convention Center Quebec City, responded to this review, 1 October 2012
Dear Guest

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review concerning your most recent experience at our hotel. Needless to say I was dissapointed to acknowledge the situation that you describe and most importantly that you did not reported to our staff as we do have housekeeping staff available in the evening to rectified such situation. By reporting such a situation we can also follow up with staff to ensure that such situation does not reoccur. I hope we will have the opportunity to serve you again.

Best regards

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 4 September 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel over Labor Day weekend. I booked the bed and breakfast package for 118.65 CAD on their website. When we arrived at the hotel, the front desk informed us that the rate had gone up. The room is now 130 CAD or 138 CAD with breakfast. They further explained that I booked the room for one person so the second person is extra. I was surprised since I was pretty sure I booked the room for two but I didn't feel like I had a choice so I relunctantly agreed. We left for sightseeing immediately after checking in.

When we returned to the room, we noticed the bathroom was overly deodorized. The smell was too overwhelming so we asked them if we can switch into a different room. They said the hotel is full, they only have 1 business class room left but if I want it, I would have to pay extra. Do you see a theme here? By now, I felt like they were milking me for more money at each turn. I turned down the upgrade and went back to my smelly room.

For my own sanity, I went onto the Clarion Hotel website and ran a mock-reservation on a bed-and-breakfast package. Lo and behold, the package came up as 118.65 CAD and the description clearly says "This package include full american breakfast for two adult guests". I took my Kindle to the front desk and showed them the rate. I demanded that they honor the original rate I booked the room for. The front desk still tried to argue with me. They said if I click on bookIt, it would be for one person. We clicked on BookIt and the page said "add for 2 people". By this time, they had no more excuses so they said the website has a problem but will honor the rate and told me they would enter a note. I told them I didn't want to argue again so please make sure the note is clear about the situation.

On the day of checkout, can you guess what happened? They printed me a receipt and didn't mention anything about the rate. I checked the math (which was confusing since the tax and fee were added and the individual items were difficult to separate but hey, I'm a math major). Sure enough, the rate was the higher rate. I told the front desk the rate is wrong. They said it's too late to change it because a receipt has been printed. They said if you call the next day, you can talk to a manager to get it fixed. I've read about this kind of trick before. I refused to leave. I said the problem needs to be fixed right now. They went on to tell me I booked the room wrong. The second breakfast is extra, etc. By now, I know the hotel is very shady. With my Kindle in hand, I showed them the website and how to book the bed and breakfast for the price I quoted. In fact, on the day of my checkout, the same B&B package costs only 105 CAD for two people. After half of hour of debate, the hotel finally agreed to lower the rate. Still charged me a couple dollars more than I booked the room for but closer to the original rate.

If you've read the story this far and think you still want to give this hotel a try, then I would suggest booking the executive suite or business room as suggested in previous post because the lower rate room is a dump. My next paragraph will focus on the rooms rather than my nightmare billing experience.

++++++++++++++++++

For a Quebec address, 118+ CAD for a room is considered cheap but for this hotel, you get what you pay for. The cheaper rooms are on the first and second floor of the older wing (which I did not know from the website). The hallway carpet has pools of black stain. Part of the carpet was dubbling up. The wallpaper had dirty streaks and portion ripped up. Think "by-the-hour" motel room in NYC.

We entered our room and noticed the overly deordorized bathroom. Being a seasoned traveller, that's usually a sign the hotel is trying to cover something up. Frequently, it's cigarrete smell in a non-smoking room. In this case, turns out it was a mildew/wet towel smell and a hint of sewer. The bathroom vent was rusted and not working. The wallpaper was dirty; the door frame was rusted. The room had no bath soap or shampoo. Those were the biggie.

Otherwise, the room was ok. It's an older room with very dim lighting and inconveniently placed outlets. Not nice for the information age. The TV is an old LCD. We didn't bother turning it on since we had our own hi-def electronic devices capable of screaming Netflix.

+++++++++++++++++++

About the food ... since we had the B&B package, we enjoyed their full breakfast which we were quite happy with. It's normally 14.95 CAD per person. Continental breakfast is 7.95 CAD per person. The full breakfast includes powdered eggs, sausage, bacon, french toast, pancake. There were also 2 waffle machines. Fresh blueberries, strawberries, canned mandarin oranges, whipped cream, chocolate sauce and syrup are on hand. On the cold buffet (continental breakfast but included in full breakfast), they have yogurt, boiled eggs, cereals, pastries, muffins, toasts, etc. Personally, I wouldn't care for the continental offerings for that price but the full breakfast was quite good.

+++++++++++++

Location ... some people complained about the location of this hotel. I don't understand why since the hotel is clearly not close to Old Quebec City or Chute Montmorency on the map. The good news is that the bus station is literally with one minute walk to the right at the end of the hotel driveway. Bus No. 11 costs 3 CAD per person one-way at this time. Be sure you have the exact change. You ride it to the last stop, the bus terminal in Old Quebec. Make a mental note of the landmark near the hotel since the return trip to the hotel is in the middle of the bus route. You want to know when to get off.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank MROMom
Eric N, General Manager at Travelodge Hotel & Convention Center Quebec City, responded to this review, 11 September 2012
Dear guest

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write such a detail review concerning your most recent stay at our Hotel and needless to say I was dissapointed to acknowledge there was some confusion at check in and I would like to appologise for any inconveninces it may have caused you. We do have different pricing structure as we have many different types of rooms availables and split in three categories : standard, superior and business. Your comments will be precious to us to ensure that all our clerk have a full understanding and do not mislead you with pricing. Altough I am delight that you mentioned the convienient way to take the bus and your enjoyment from the food and beverage service you received. I am also glad to inform you that we are in the process to replace all our tv sets for 42 inches HDTV this year and to be completed by the beginning of next year. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again and making you have the great stay that you desserve.

Sincerely