“nice 1.5h entertainment...after visit, glad I didn't spend the $$$ on sleeping there”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel de Glace

Hotel de Glace
Ranked #37 of 101 Hotels in Quebec City
Kingston, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2012

fun to visit the rooms, church and outdoor spa and wander around but would not pay the money on sleeping there. beds look uncomfortable. was expecting the rooms to be more extravagant for the cash you would have to shell out to sleep there. get a drink at the bar and enjoy the music!

Room Tip: get one with a fireplace and close to the spa
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank KristinaWeld

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2012

WOW! The hotel itself is a sight to see and very unique to stay at. Everyone should at least see it even if they aren't willing to stay the night or cannot afford it. My boyfriend and I stayed the one night after we purchased a themed suite group buy deal for $350 tax in. It was pricy even after the 50% discount but I feel it was worth it.

----- Rooms -----
Beautiful. Each themed suite is different. If you are going to stay here… I recommend paying a bit more for a themed suite because the regular rooms were tiny, had no carvings, sculptures and white basic lighting. They looked like jail cells with white walls. Don't get a fireplace because it gives no warmth! It's just for show and I'd save the money.

----- Sleeping -----
First of all, read the email and make sure you follow it to the tee to prepare yourself for the night. Bring everything they advise -- fresh UNWORN non-cotton clothing, socks, gloves, scarf etc. If it has been worn during the day, you will be cold. I sadly experienced this because my gloves and socks were worn the day before (I didn't have any extra…). Basically, anything you have wore will hold some moisture particles from your body and it will make your sleeping bag cold. The sleeping bag is good for up to -29C degrees and the hotel is around the -5C mark. Your body heat is what will keep the sleeping bag warm.

If you don't go to the orientation to learn how to use your sleeping bag, you will be cold. The staff gives you critical information to stay warm during the night.

You don't want to wear too much in your sleeping bag because then you will sweat and the moisture will make you cold. However, bring an extra sweater and gloves and throw it in the sleeping bag with you just in case. I wanted mine in the middle of the night but it was in the lockers. Put gloves, socks, light sweater, face mask/scarf, camera in the sleeping bag. You can remove and layer and add layers while you are in the bag.

Everything else like your luggage, cameras, wallets are kept in the lockers near the washrooms.

Don't drink lots before sleeping because I'm sure going to the washroom in the middle of the night is going to be a pain. You'll get cold and let the warm heat out from your sleeping bag.

In the end, I didn't get much sleep since I got cold, this might have been from my gloves and socks (they were wore before…) I also woke up twice because my face was exposed in the cold air. Bring something to cover your face! On the other hand, my boyfriend slept and snored like a baby. He said he was warm and slept fine.

----- Spas -----
Nothing super special they were three Arctic Spas sponsored hot tubs that were just in a area of the hotel. They put some pine trees and lights around it for deco. There was also a small portable sauna outside too. It was still enjoyable and relaxing like any outdoor hot tub! Bring flip flops.

----- Breakfast -----
It is a buffet-styled breakfast served indoors in the check in/washroom area. Breakfast was from 6:30am to 9:30 am. There were eggs, sausages, home fries, cereals, toast, jams, peanut butters etc.

----- Check out -----
Room checkout was at 8:30am. This is a breeze because you wake up, grab your stuff hidden in your sleeping bag and leave. All your luggage is in the lockers anyways so you can pack and get ready there after 8:30am.

---- Other tips for overnighters ----
Arrive at 8pm or slightly earlier. We arrived 9pm and there was only an orientation at 11:15pm (The last one so I guess for any guests arriving between 9-11pm).

Another reason to come early, the exterior ice slide closes at 9pm. We arrived too late and apparently the big ice slide outside of the hotel is way more fun than the interior slide. The slide re-opens the next morning at 10am but it was too late for us.

The other rooms close I think at 8pm so you cannot see them until the morning. Arrive earlier if you want to tour the other suites during the night. Otherwise you can see them in the morning after checkout. That's what we did.

The bar claimed to close at midnight BUT it closed at 11:30pm so we didn't get to get our free cocktails in the ice glass since we were planning to get them after our 11:15 orientation.

Find out when there are fun activities. We got to try some ice carving in the hotel lobby/bar area around 10pm.

You could also get a package for a room at the nearby sheraton hotel if you don't think you can sleep there. This is a bit of waste of money in my opinion tho, might as well just tour the place.

Top reasons for staying overnight vs. a visit
- Great photo opportunities. No background people because the hotel isn't crowded at night even at full capacity.
- Not crowded compared to the tours. I'm sure if we went for the tour during the day on a weekend while Carnaval was going on, it would have been PACKED. Hard to see everything, try the slides etc.
- You get to see the hotel at night and during the day. Very different feel. I loved both!
- If you want to try something new and different… this is it!

Room Tip: Get a themed suite if you can afford it. The basic rooms are small and have no carvings, sculptures...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank k-existence
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2012

You can actually sleep well in silence and a cold air. The sleeping bag they provide is perfect to keep you warm after jacuzzi+sauna.

• Stayed February 2012
3 Thank MailisB
Ontario's Highlands, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2012

Visited the Ice hotel last weekend, you can do a simply tour without having to sleep there if sleeping on ice doesn't appeal to you. while the cost is high ($17.50), it is quite worth it. the rooms are vacant during the day, so the visitors can peek in, some of the rooms are absolutely amazing. they have ice sculptures everywhere, as well as designs on the snow walls. there were even a few ice slides. you can choose to take a guided tour, which start at noon, we were too early and just walked around ourselves, they also rent out an audio guide for $5each.
dress warmly as its cold in there! not hard to get to, GPS got us there easily.

Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank TheLottie25
Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2012

I booked a suite at the Quebec Ice Hotel after purchasing a Teambuy voucher. I was happy that the voucher included a night in a suite, as the suites were more intricately decorated with murals and ice sculptures than standard rooms. A large exterior slide was under construction as of Jan. 29th, it's probably open now - looks like it would've been a lot of fun. I loved touring around the hotel and finding all the fun little details in the designs, but would not spend the money again for another night's stay.

The room is yours from 9 PM to 8 AM, which leaves little time for sleeping, once you take advantage of the free cocktail, and the hot tubs and sauna. The hot tubs and sauna were enjoyable, though the Overnight guest pavilion is very basic (i.e. three womens/mens washroom stalls separate from the showers/change rooms). One of the three Arctic Spa hot tubs was too cold to use, a second one only had one fully functioning jet, so that left one hot tub for the majority of the guests to use.

The bartender was the first person all day to inform us that the free cocktail voucher excluded the specialty cocktails containing Domaine Pinnacle ice cider, which was unexpected, especially as the bar was sponsored by Domaine Pinnacle, and unappreciated due to the cost of the experience. On the flip side, the Overnight guest registration lady and welcoming gentleman in the main visitor pavilion, and shuttle driver/valet were all superb and added to the enjoyment of the experience.

Due to the high volume of visitors throughout the day, the cozy fur bedspread was wet and dingy. If I stayed again, I would bring more clothing for sleeping than they tell you is needed. Don't worry about being too warm at night, and bundle yourself up in the sleeping bag exactly as the orientation session indicates.

Room Tip: suites are more elaborately decorated and unique compared to regular rooms. Save your money and jus...
8 Thank Blue_Tune
Pemberton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2012

This hotel is great if you are staying for the right reasons. If you are looking for a comfortable nights stay in a luxurious hotel the Hotel de Glace is probably not for you. If you are looking for a new and unique experience and don't mind giving up some comforts a nights stay at the Hotel de Glace is a must.

My wife and I stayed at the HdG in January. The outdoor temp was -25C without windchill we were a toasty -5C in our room. Don't let that scare you, we were both adequately warm all night long. My wife (like most women) normally has a difficult time staying warm, she slept in her long underwear wool socks and toque. She reported staying warm all night. I was a little braver, I slept in my normal underwear, toque and wool socks. The only part of me that was cold was my nose. Tip 1: do not sleep in anything cotton. Wool and synthetics are fine. That being said my underwear were cotton and I was fine.

We checked in earlier and went to the training session. Tip 2: Go to the training session!

We had a late dinner in the City and got back to the hotel at around 11:15pm. We went in the hot tub and sauna. Tip 3: walk to hot tubs in your bare feet. We hit the sack at around 12:30pm making sure to completely drain our bladders (there was no monkey business it was too cold for that). Tip 4: Don't drink a lot (of anything) before bed. Getting up to pee in the middle of the night is not nice. It's not like camping where you can just hop out the tent and pee on the ground.

One thing that really surprised us is there are no doors on the rooms, only curtains. Security isn't really an issue as you don't bring anything but your camera with you to your room. They give you a locker for your valuables and luggage. If you can afford it booking a room at the Sheraton 2km away is the way to go.

8 Thank Sport127
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2012

I have too much good things to say about the unique experience at the wonderful ice castle - Hotel de Glace.
I heard some complaints about uncomfort while staying on ice. Acturally the hotel does't provide "comfort" like Hilton-like hotels do. If don't have right mentality and good physical conditions, please don't try sleeping on ice, but simply pay a short scenery visit instead. For me and my wife, we definitely enjoyed the great over-night stay in the hotel. The accomodations and activities all are great, particularly the ice bed sleep and winter starry night SPA !
The joy belongs to the people who enjoy somewhat of adventures.
Great at least for once in a lifetime!

Room Tip: Follow the instructions to prepare your trip well.
4 Thank maplebee01