“A Must Do in Your Lifetime!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel de Glace

Hotel de Glace
Ranked #37 of 101 Hotels in Quebec City
San Francisco, California
“A Must Do in Your Lifetime!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

My boyfriend surprised me with a stay at the ice hotel for my birthday and I loved every moment of it. The rooms were exquisitely done with snow carvings in the walls, ice tables and chairs, and of course - the ice beds. The bar was a lot of fun complete with drinks served in glasses made of ice and there was an ice slide that I was more then happy to try out 7 or 8 times.

You definitely need to set your expectations. You're sleeping in a hotel made of ice - it's going to be cold. Just dress appropriately, attend the "how to sleep in an ice hotel" session they provide, and take advantage of the hot tubs/sauna they have on site. I'll be honest, the hot tubs were more like warm tubs, but the sauna was hot. You'll learn that it's important to get your core temperature up as high as possible before you go to bed. If that doesn't work, make sure you bring along some body warmers to stick to yourself. And if all else fails, they have a common area in doors where you can go to warm up.

If you can hack cold weather I strongly encourage a stay here. If you can't, it's still a great place to go during the day just to see the amazing architecture of the building and have a drink.

3 Thank Caitlyn C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Little Falls, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

The staff here are rude, I am a platinum member with SPG, Hilton Honers and with the Fairmont President club. I have traveled all over the world. If this hotel was not made out of ice I would not go. Upper management should retrain their staff in the service business. They also should fire a staff member name Louie ( no not a guy a girl) She isn't that that bright or pretends not to be. Move her to housekeeping where she does not have to speak to the public.

17 Thank cole126
Alameda, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

I was debating on spending $400 a night in a ice hotel. Very expensive if you are going to sleep on an icebed. But definitely worth the money and the experience. You do have hot shower and locker facilities and you can sit in the common area to watch TV. The restaurant is not worth and the take out they offer is not worth it either. Eat before going there. Including in the price is a thermal sleeping bag which helps but if you need to go to the bathroom can be an ordeal so don't get drunk and sleep. You also have access to multiple hot tubs. You cannot bring anything with you in your little igloo due to the moisture so you do get a wake up call and of course my boyfriend slept through the wake up call.

Room Tip: Its not worth an upgrade. you do not get any heat from the fire places. The upgraded rooms are only...
5 Thank pammundell
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

This place is actually rated one of the must see places to see before you die. Yes it's expensive but it is totally worth it. Do not just pay to stay for the day, pay for the night. When will you ever get to do this again in your life?

Upon arrival they will ask for your reservations so make sure to bring the papers. There is several tours of the place (included with your stay). the last one is at 5 or 6 (the English one) they offer the tours in English and French (but separate, so one at 5 for English and one at 530 for French for example).

Definitely take a drink at their bar, you get to drink in a ice mug. There is one free drink included in your package usually. We did two of the shots they offer which were really good. You can even buy the ice mug in their gift shop but it's $60. Interesting but it might melt if you do not live in Quebec.

You are provided with one HUGE locker. Our duffle bags fit in there no problem. People had their large suitcases in their too, so I would not worry about your items fitting. Two people can easily fit their things. They have showers in the chalet (for guests only obvious) so really I do not find it necessarily to get the hotel room with the ice hotel room, because the chalet has a shower and you can keep your things in the locker. I really did not worry at all about my belongs. If you cannot sleep at night, or it gets too cold for you (worst case scenario) you can sleep on the couch in the chalet. So to pay extra for the hotel I think is not necessary.

The chalet offers food but nothing spectacular and if I remember right it was expensive. We had the complimentary breakfast in the morning which was decent. Nothing spectacular though. they had little potatoes, eggs, sausage I think, muffins, cereal, orange juice. Not the best variety but it is free! I think there are some activities included like snowshoeing, they have a big trail you can take, we did not do it but we saw a lot of people doing it and they enjoyed it very much.

In the chalet they have two computers with internet (not slow either) and we looked up some restaurants in the area to go to. I was rather upset when we got back we wanted to go to the bar but it was not open to us EVEN THOUGH WE PAYED A LOT OF MONEY FOR THIS because Rogers was having some party. They said they would open the cathedrale to serve drinks to us. Eventually the bar/dance area was open to us but it really upset most of us there because we wanted to spend the night in that room, not the cathedrale.

As I mentioned earlier if you really cannot stand the cold for whatever reason they will let you stay in the chalet on the couches no problem. We were lucky and it was only -13 I think. So I was perfectly fine at night. So they recommend you go to the hot tubs and sauna before going to bed to heat up your body. They have a mandatory meeting I think at 8 or 9 that they will explain everything in more detail to you so do not worry! .They show you how to use the sleeping bags and everything. I slept in socks, leggings and a tshirt. And I slept well!!! I think I had my hat on but I took it off since the sleeping bag goes over ur head and it got too hot. It's one of the caterpillar sleeping bags. Honestly I was SSOOOOOOO worried about sleeping you have no idea. All for nothing. It was so cozy! My boyfriend said he tossed and turned all night but he just has a hard time sleeping sometimes. We had such a big day so it was easy for me to sleep, even though I worried all day. I felt better when the guy told me if any real emergencies we could sleep in the chalet. The hot tubs and sauna I think open at 9pm and stay until 9am. We woke up around 7am (you need to be out of your room at 8am) so we actually took advantage of going again to the hot tub (I had two bathing suits with me since your bathing suit will not dry over night)

We got the best room, a themed one with the fireplace. (themed means there are sculptures on the wall) Honest I feel ripped off with the fireplace. You have to ask them to light it, I think 20-30 minutes before you go to bed. We went to the hot tub and sauna and when we got there it wasn't lit. We knew it wasn't for heating and that it was just for show. But still... However I definitely recommend a themed suite! It's a little bit more, but like I said it's a once in a life time opportunity so go for it!

Also, if you go at the beginning of the season, everything might not be built yet. Like we went early in the season, so they did not have the slide and part of the construction built. We did not want to go when it got too cold though.

Hope I was informative, if you have any questions feel free to message me! I live in Quebec so I have a lot of informations to offer :)

Room Tip: themed suite for sure! you can skip the fireplace, just for show and they did not even light ours ev...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
27 Thank KimBalaya897
Pembroke
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2013

This was a very interesting once in a lifetime opportunity. We bought this off groupon as it was reasonably priced. We had a great sleep. The only bad part is if you have to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. The bar was great and it was definitely something great to see.

Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jakebigguy
chicago
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

My boyfriend surprised me a romantic trip to Quebec City for Valentine's Day last year. The highlight of our journey would be staying at the Hotel de Glace for an evening which we both were very excited about. The pictures we took are stunning and the experience is worth seeing it with my own eyes.

Pros: the architecture is quite impressive. The beverages served in ice cube glasses is a nice touch. The music playing in the disco area. Fireplaces lit in a variety of rooms. The hot tubs to use if you're staying the night. The ability to have the hotel to yourself once the tourists leave. Once you do settle into your sleeping bag for sleep, you WILL indeed sleep well. But be sure to use the toilet before bed as getting up in the middle of the night in very cold temperature is not ideal.

Cons: Way too expensive for what you get. We got there around 3:00 and literally toured the hotel in an hour and found ourselves bored stiff as to what to do until we could get into our room around 9:00. Luckily there are great restaurants so we had a lovely dinner out. They encourage you to stay up as late as possible because you literally are in your room to only sleep (a very good sleep I must add). We used the hot tubs for an hour and then sat in the very small living room area with a few other couples until we decided to go to bed around midnight. The living room area is so small though that not every patron has a spot to sit and relax. It was very uninviting to be honest.

In the morning when they woke us up, they treated us to a breakfast in the main hall. We were shocked by what was served...corn flakes, boxed pancakes, boxed sausages. For the price we paid to stay overnight it wouldn't have been any trouble at all for the hotel to pre-order their customer's breakfasts and have an appropriate meal delivered for the next morning. Ex: Starbucks would've sufficed. Our final memory of this place was the terrible breakfast they served us. It would've made a world of difference if they would've thought of something nice to send their customers off with prior to their leaving.

Room Tip: If you decide to stay, definitely get the room with a fireplace. It's for ambiance only, not hea...
9 Thank tagonza
Philly
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2013

This is such a beautiful, fun place for a one-time visit. You're probably crazy to return, but it will give you bragging rights forever. They re-build it every year. Temp stays at 22F 24/7. They serve you drinks in ice cubes (as your cup) in the Ice Bar. Everything is ice & frozen. You sleep in a mummy sleeping bag, that they give you to put on your ice bed. Not great sleep since it's hard to turn or move in the mummy bag, but for 1 night, it's a ton of fun. I loved it and want you to experience something very different....then visit Quebec City & Montreal before you go home. It melts by April so you must go before. I went in March of 2011 but that date wasn't in the window that I could select. Go , have fun!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family