“A must do!”

Ranked #36 of 101 Hotels in Quebec City
Bradford West Gwillimbury, Canada
“A must do!”
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

We headed here for a night on ice in February 2014 and what a truly incredible experience. The ice hotel is magical. We arrived in the late afternoon about an hour before it closed down to day guests. It was perfect timing. We were able to check in, get settled, take a peak around and make it back for the briefing. The briefing was very good letting you know what to expect, answering all your questions and concerns and easing any uncertainties we had. The staff was great and were easily accessible if you had any questions or concerns. Being here after regular day hours is what makes this extra special as you really feel like you have the place to yourself. We wondered around taking lots of pictures and exploring. Our favorite was the ice slide they had! We decided to go off site for dinner for more choice. When we came back they had an ice carving activity we participated in that was a lot of fun. We headed to the ice bar later in the evening for our drink and to mix and mingle. We took advantage of the hot tubs right before bed as they suggested to get your body temperature up, it was nice and relaxing although I think I would have been fine even without. We both slept great through the night, I am a very cold person and was completely fine and slept great! I wore long johns, socks and a long sleeve dry fit shirt to bed and was completely comfortable, anything more and I would have been too warm. Your sleeping bag comes with light weight sheet to use on your face and that you can even put over your face that pulls the moisture and keeps your face warm. It was perfect, and easy to still breath. The morning is the worst as you are in this warm little cocoon and have to get out into the cold! We hurried into the warm area though and all was good. As everyone has mentioned the breakfast leaves much to be desired but you're not here for the food so I guess know going in the breakfast sucks and you won't be disappointed. This by far is a once in a lifetime opportunity, I think everyone shod go once. I don't think it's worth it's regular rate, we got ours on a groupon and I have seen them over the years on groupon several times so if you're wanting to go I would probably watch for one to come up.

Stayed July 2014
13 Thank Amy M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 18 July 2014

On my bucket list for a few years and finally did it.
As other's have said, do not expect 5 star amenities, after-all the main purpose is to experience sleeping in a place built completely out of ice....
Great experience and friendly staff!
For people that are wondering, you are basically sleeping on a bed made out of ice, on top of that there will be a wooden base, and then mattress, and then some fur skin, and on top of that you will be sleeping in your North Face Artic Sleeping Bag. Your whole body is pretty warm except your face that is exposed to the air, I brought a scarf to cover my face.
I suggest looking for the promotions that they do on their site or even on Groupon.
and.... definitely do the tubing outdoor slide! That was a lotta fun!

Room Tip: You do not have to go for the themed rooms as you can see them during the tour when you check in.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank tarepanday
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I went here for my 25th birthday and it was an amazing and unforgettable trip. If you're looking to do something out of this world that is still close to home and somewhat affordable, this is a trip you have to take.

2 Thank Nadia S
Albany, New York
Reviewed 1 July 2014

My husband and I wanted to stay here for years and we are so glad we made the decision to finally do it! We got there while it was open to the public and got to go on a tour and see the chapel being assembled (we were there in early January so it wasn't quite finished yet). After a tour and a few drinks at the bar (in ice glasses of course) we had an information session about sleeping in the ice hotel. The sleeping bags are surprisingly comfy and easy to sleep in. They also have a few hot tubs and a sauna outside to enjoy during the night. After everything died down we went to bed and I honestly had the best night of sleep in my entire life...9 straight hours and I didn't wake up once. We loved it and would totally recommended it for the adventurous at heart!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Nicole C
New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Stayed there for 1 night with my boyfriend and we had a blast. We were cold but comfortable since we followed instructions (how to dress warmly) emailed to us by the hotel after we booked our trip thru Groupon. Come early since they give you a tour of the entire hotel. We slept in north face mummy sleeping bags which were so warm and comfortable.

3 Thank PTon5th_NYC
Mahwah, New Jersey
Reviewed 5 April 2014

A once in a lifetime experience! The hotel is absolutely amazing!
Add it to your bucket list! Picture don't do this place justice!
My husband and I took our 3 children ages 15, 14 & 12 and rented a theme suite for the night. We were fortunate to get the Princess Suite which was designed by Disney's artists to look like the princess's room in the movie Frozen.
I disagree with the other reviewers here who said not to splurge on a theme room. Our room was amazing. One of my favorite moments was being tucked in my sleeping bag and watching the lights and candles from our room glisten and sparkle against the snow. It was truly magical!
During the day we walked around the Hotel De Glace and were in total awe. It was much larger than we thought. Ice carvings and snow sculptures were everywhere and of course the ice slide was a favorite!
In the evening the kids loved the ice carving class and they also enjoyed getting drinks at the bar in ice glasses. The ice hotel had a wonderful party atmosphere at night, that we all enjoyed.
The hotel really tries to make you comfortable and wants you to get a good night sleep. The class on how to sleep and use your sleeping bag is a must. Before staying at the hotel read what you are suppose to bring and do it! The rooms are 23 degrees!
Did I have a good night sleep....not really. Would I change a thing...NO WAY!
I hate the cold, but this will go down as one of my favorite trips ever!
If you are less adventurous do yourself a favor and at least buy a day pass to check it out.
You won't be sorry every room is a work of art and there are a lot of them!
If you decide to stay the night, here is my advice:
1. Follow the instructions for layering/fabrics etc. Then put on an extra layer from what they tell you for sleeping! You can always remove a layer and put it in the bag that your sleeping bag comes in. Trust me you will not want to go all the way to the lockers to get any more clothes.
2. Invest in good cold gear! My best purchase was a bavaclava worn under my hat to sleep in.
I couldn't imagine not having it!!!!

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
9 Thank L569
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 3 April 2014

My wife and I had been toying with the idea of staying at an Ice Hotel since we lived in Scandinavia. After moving to Canada we thought we had to finally try it. We are so glad we did. The price is very high but it is a unique and memorable experience. We went for the package that included a night here, a backup room at the Sheraton (not really necessary but good for keeping our things and popping back for both a good dinner and breakfast) and a night with dinner at the Premier Nations hotel. We added in a dog sledding session and it was all great.
The sculptures in the Ice Hotel and the themed rooms you can walk around in the day time were so impressive. We had a tour to learn about how the Ice Hotel was built and had an introductory session on how best to use the sleeping bags etc. Later on we popped back to the Sheraton for dinner though they seem to have an ok place by the side of the Ice Hotel too. We then returned soon after 8pm to go to the Ice Bar which is very cool indeed. The glasses are made of ice and you get to try some ice carving or join in some games if you like. Then later it was time to use one of the outside tubs which I loved. Then time to change into your nightwear and go to bed. It was actually really warm in the sleeping bags! We had to be woken up at 8am. You can leave your coat and shoes in a waterproof bag in the room while the rest goes in a locker in another building. The only somewhat inconvenient thing is to go out of the building to another if you need to use the washroom at night. Overall very highly recommended.
Make sure you have a very good coat, layers, gloves and hat for when you are walking about in the day time. Inside the hotel is -5/-6 all the time and of course it can be very cold outside in Quebec.

Room Tip: The theme rooms witht he sculptures make for a more memorable stay.
3 Thank gary3000