“A Wonderful City Retreat”
Review of Hilton Quebec

Hilton Quebec
Ranked #33 of 101 Hotels in Quebec City
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
“A Wonderful City Retreat”
Reviewed 5 July 2012

For a stay of any length in Québec City, I highly recommend the Hilton! Being a large hotel, we were expecting a perhaps not so personal stay, but we thoroughly enjoyed our experience at this hotel. The receptionist at checkin was very nice and the bell staff as well. Being such a large hotel however, we were pleased that we didn't have to walk very far from the elevators to our room. The room was a bit cookie-cutter, yet a very nice, modern, fully equipped place to rest. The two double beds were very luxurious with excellent pillows, wonderful mattresses and very luxurious duvets. The room was kept very clean. We had a wonderful view of Québec City from our window which took up an entire wall of the room! The television, safe, writing desk (with folder filled with stationary, yet below average pen), and armchair were very nice touches to the room. The room didn't seem as sparse as other hotels I've been too with nice modern artwork on the walls. The bathroom was exceptionally clean and spacious, with a wonderful facial mirror and full-length standard mirror, plenty of space for toiletries, wonderful toiletries and towels provided by housekeeping, fully functional sink, toilet and shower/tub. The sink however was quite difficult to turn on and off with slightly worn handles. The tub was extra long and extra deep with fabulous lighting over the tub and a wonderful waterpik spa nozzle, which I absolutely loved!!! We slept very well with practically no outside noise. There was no newspaper in the morning. We had to leave very early in the morning for our departing flight, so we didn't have a chance to sample their breakfast service. We did enjoy dinner at the hotel's restaurant the night before. The service was quite slow, however the servers were very friendly and the food was absolutely delicious - not like average hotel food! The hotel also had a nice, yet extremely expensive gift shop. Also, I particularly enjoyed the complimentary individual computer salons on the lobby floor. The printers didn't work, yet you could enjoy complimentary internet access from there, versus having to pay for internet access in your rooms. Also, we enjoyed the fact that we could save a bit of money and self-park in the adjacent parking garage and not have to valet park our car. We didn't go swimming or workout (we were tired at the very end of our trip), however there was a very nice indoor/outdoor heated pool reserved exclusively for hotel guests and adjacent workout room with modern equipment. Also, take advantage of the sky-lounge located on the 23rd floor (top) of the hotel. The lounge is reserved exclusively for hotel guests and offers a simply gorgeous, breathtaking view of the entire city (on a clear day) with wonderful views of the Château Frontenac, St. Lawrence River and the Citadelle. The location of the hotel itself however is a bit further from city sights than some of the other hotels, but well worth it. Overall, the Hilton Québec City certainly exceeded our expectations and provided wonderful service at a surprisingly good value.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
, Public Relations Manager at Hilton Quebec, responded to this review, 6 July 2012
Good morning,

Thank you for your complete review of our hotel. Glad you enjoyed your stay with us and that we have exceeded your expectations. As for the printer in the business center, I will have our technician take a look at them today.

Genevieve Girard.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (529)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Newport, OR
Reviewed 3 July 2012

Let's start off with the really ugly: We had booked an upgrade room, a mini suite, for 4 nights that included use of the executive lounge using my Hilton Honor Points. Upon arriving at the hotel around midnight we found a lengthly line at the front desk, waited our turn and was given our room key. Went up to the room and found it to be a very small room barely larger than the bed in it. So back to the front desk, waited in line again and got an agent who seemed very bored with her job and had no interest in really helping us. When I explained the problem to her she just kept saying the room I booked was not available and besides I couldn't have booked that room type using points. I showed her my booking confirmation and once again was informed that was impossible. Finally she admitted the room type I booked was not available and they had downgraded the room assignment. We then had a discussion were I explained since I using more points that those required for a standard room they should have upgraded me if the room type wasn't available. All during this, she just kept looking around and won't make extended eye contact with me. Finally, after about 20 minutes and after I asked to see a manager she found us a room on the 19th floor which at first didn't include access to the executive lounge until I asked about it. Not once during this process did she say that they were sorry for the problem. She was not helpful in her manner and made me feel like I was bothering her and should be grateful I had a room at all since I was using points.
Now for the Really Good: When we got to the room we found it to actually be a business suite with a dinning area that had a dinning table which could seat 6, a sideboard and small serving area, a large sitting area with a leather couch and 2 leather easy chairs, coffee table, an area with a bed, a wood paneled dressing area and a bath. As this was a corner room we had floor to ceiling windows and had a million dollar view that overlooked the entire city to the east and south. The executive lounge is on the 23rd floor and its view again is unbelievable. The staff here were the friendliest in the hotel and went out of their way to meet your needs and offered suggestions on what to see and do while visiting Quebec. The breakfast every morning was great with fresh fruit and bakery items along with meats, cereals , juice etc. So 5 stars for the room and the lounge.
Now for the bad: On our 3rd night we found we had a photo shoot for a toy company going on next door to us and in the hallway outside our room. Around 10pm they finished the shoot but continued to party in the room with lots of comings and goings that included the door slamming shut almost every minute or so. They quieted down around 11 and then the party started in the room above us and after a while I called the front desk to complain about the noise. Hotel security came up and listened and said he would take care of it. He must have gone up there as it got quiet for all of 10 minutes, so I called the front desk again and was informed they had taken care of it. Had to explained that it quieted down for a bit but the music was back up as was all the loud talking. He finally agreed to send security back up. It did get quiet in another 10 minutes or so.
We found the staff overall except for the lounge to be rude and not interested in helping us. Another example of this is when we arrived at the hotel there were 2 doorman standing at the front door, neither offered to help with our luggage, open a door or even greet us as it was apparent we were just arriving at the hotel since we arrived by taxi with luggage. During our 4 days there not once did a doorman acknowledge us during our comings and goings.
This hotel as many have noted is in a great spot located within walking distance to old Quebec and all it has to offer its a shame our first impression of it wasn't better and it's staff more welcoming. Thankfully the executive lounge staff know how to make a guest feel welcome and appreciated.
I really wanted to rate the hotel higher based upon our final room assignment and the executive lounge but could't justify it based upon our check in experience, rude staff and the noise that one night.

Room Tip: If possible get a room on a higher floor that includes access to the Executive Lounge.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ortravelers
, Public Relations Manager at Hilton Quebec, responded to this review, 5 July 2012
Good morning,

Thank you for taking the time to share your unsatisfactory experience. First and foremost, I want to apologize on behalf of our team for not offering you the excellent service that we normally offer. To be honest, I am greatly concerned and truly disapointed. Especially, knowing that you chose to use your Hhonors points at our location.

Please know that we will not leave this matter pending. I would greatly appreciate that you contact me or our Guest service manager (see our contact information below) to provide us with more details in order to make the proper follow up with the concerned team members. Your comment is very constructive and will help us improve our level of service.

On a more positive note, I will make sure to forward your great comments to the executive lounge employees.

Thank you once again for your constructive comment.

Genevieve.

Genevieve Girard (genevieve.girard@hilton.com)
Helena Carrier (helena.carrier@hilton.com)
Spring Lake, MI
Reviewed 3 July 2012

Visited this hotel on vacation, the river views were spectacular. Room was large and well furnished, if not high design. Staff was friendly, bilingual and attentive. Exec lounge was terrific. Location is very good to visit both Old QC and outside the city walls. Whie not a charming, 300 year yr old building, something can be said for efficient and modern.

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 2 July 2012

Just next to Parlement de Quebec, and walking distance to major sites, Hilton's location can't be beat. We stayed during St-Jean Baptiste, so even if it was crowed, the service remained personalized. Points down are: the pool area was smaller than expected and buffet breakfast a bit salty. Overall it was a great stay.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
seattle, wa
Reviewed 29 June 2012

The Hilton Quebec is just across the street from the city walls of old Quebec and an easy walk from many restaurants, shops,and museums. We spent three nights there in June and were pleased with our overall experience. Our two queen bed room was spacious and well maintained. We had no problem with noise from neighboring rooms even though the hotel was pretty full. We had access to the lounge which is quite nice and has spectacular views over the old city and the river. We found the staff to be helpful and friendly. Our only glitch was some confusion at check-in and some slow service on a Sunday afternoon when the hotel was clearly under-staffed. Parking Is available in an attached garage that can be reached via an elevator from the hotel

Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 25 June 2012

Standard quality of Hilton hotels, but had to queue up to be placed for breakfast. No tables available. Had to sit on stool at bar. Less than satisfactory. Also the concierge was quite rude and dismissive of my request for information as to local restaurants.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
, Public Relations Manager at Hilton Quebec, responded to this review, 26 June 2012
Good morning,

Thank you for taking the time to share experience. First and foremost, I want to apologize on behalf of our entire team for not offering you the excellent service that we normally offer. In Québec City, people have a reputation of being friendly and hospitable. Most of all, I was quite concerned by the comment you wrote about a concierge. Need I say that I am disapointed. Rest assured, we will not leave this matter pending. I would greatly appreciate that you contact me or our Guest service manager to provide us with more details in order to make the proper follow up with the concerned team members.

Genevieve Girard (genevieve.girard@hilton.com)
Helena Carrier (helena.carrier@hilton.com)
Houston, TX
Reviewed 22 June 2012

We stayed our first night in Quebec City at the Fairmont but moved to the Hilton because of the comparable value. I was prepared to be a little disappointed after the Fairmont, but I was so wrong!

First, this is your typical nice Hilton, and that's a good thing. You have everything you would expect from granite in the bath, great amenities, comfortable mattress, solid internet, well appointed, stylish, etc. You also have a few bonuses. The workout room is a step above most. You can enjoy your run on the treadmill overlooking the water. It's awesome. There are also tons of weights, machines, spin bikes, recumbants, ellipticals, etc. The location is great. You are two blocks (maybe a little less) outside of the old city. However, the best local restaurants are located outside the touristy old city and closer to the hotel. The concierge will have great recommendations.

This is a large hotel and there are meetings going on, etc. It has a little bit of the convention vibe, which is fine but incredibly they are trying to find a personal touch. As luck would have it, apparently all the meeting goers took up the normal floors and we were upgraded to the executive floor. (No idea why, never happened before, but cool!) Anyway, we walked up to the executive longue and for whatever reason I was really wanting something chocolate. No luck. I laughingly explained my craving to the representative in the longue. A few minutes later, you guessed it, two pieces of chocolate were delivered to my room. I have no idea how they knew who I was!! Everyone we encountered here was warm and friendly. The valet, the bellman, the front desk, the bartender have all been welcoming, helpful and great. This place simply feels well managed.

What a wonderful place! I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: If you can get a river view you have totally scored.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Good morning,

Thank you for choosing to stay with at the Hilton Québec. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and that all of our staff members where helpful! I will be sure to share your comments with them. I hope you will return should your travels bring you back to Québec City.

Genevieve