“A good hotel”
Review of Hilton Quebec

Hilton Quebec
Ranked #34 of 102 Hotels in Quebec City
Reviewed 5 March 2008

We have stayed at the Quebec Hilton three times in the last two years both as a base for skiing and to witness the Carnival.
On each visit ,we have found everything to be fine with a very friendly staff and perfectly comfortable and clean rooms. On each occasion, we have stayed on one of the Executive Level floors and used the Executive Lounge during the time there. This year, the reception staff noticed our 9 night booking and immediately took me into the Lounge and the very friendly concierge, Gabriel, checked us in very quickly and efficiently. I had forgotten to request a rollaway and it was delivered to our rooms by the time that we arrived there ourselves. Beat that!
The Lounge offerings are perfectly adequate with a Continental breakfast ( or restaurant vouchers which can be topped up for $4 if you prefer the hot buffet ) In the evening, you are able to sample hot appetisers, cheese, fruit, pastries etc. and the alcoholic drinks are about $5.50 per shot for wine and $6 for spirits. This is done on an "honesty " basis!
The comments about the rooms puzzle me as our room was, generally, warm and there was no need for the extra blanket. The outside temperature was -35 degrees C so Quebec in winter is not something to be uprepared for. We have not had a problem with feeling cold at any time on our three stays.
The size of the rooms differ slightly from those at the front of the hotel to those with the "City " view at the back. The sizes can be found on the website ( 291 sq.ft.) and are not particularly small whichever you are in. The concierge took us on a tour of the recently renovated floors( 1-4 ) which are done with the "Hilton" bed, pastel colours and well designed furniture which gives more storage space than before which was the only slight criticism that I could make. The intention is to renovate gradually without inconveniencing guests and the product that we saw was of very high standard.
The valet parking was very efficient and handled by the car valets and porters very well indeed. We left each morning at a busy time and were always able to get away promptly. The porters who stood out in the bitterly cold weather were always cheerful and ready to help with any queries.
We used the Allegro Restaurant on a couple of occasions and found no problem other than my grasp of spoken Quebec French. The carafe of red wine was not at room temperature so in my fashion told the server just that or so I thought. She came back with some ice in a jug! My fault , I admit and something to laugh about.
We asked about the ownership of the hotel. Apparently, it had been owned by a company who were more into shopping mall development where now the owners are hotel developers and keen on improving their chain of Hiltons across Canada.
Overall, we had a great time and would not hesitate to go back. The hotel is fine and, with the renovations, will offer excellent value.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with family

Reviewed 5 March 2008

i loved this hotel we had the most amazing view of the planes of abraham. room service was amazing food very good. short walk to 5 ***** restaurants and bars. we paid 300 a night i would pay 10x more if i had to to stay there again

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 February 2008

We were in town for the Winter Carnival and felt a part of the party by staying at this hotel. It was in the middle of all the events and right outside Quebec’s Old City. We chose to stay on the Executive Floor and although there wasn’t anything special about the room, the view was remarkable. Ask to stay on the side of the hotel facing the old city and try to get a high floor. But beware, the elevators were very slow. One of the Executive Floor perks was access to the Executive Lounge on the lobby level. It was a nice retreat and in the evening there were complimentary appetizers and well-priced drinks (about $5.50 for a glass of wine.) In the mornings, there was also a complimentary breakfast but mostly just cheese and pastries. I was surprised by the gym, although a little cramped, it had free weights and plenty of machines to get a great workout for free. The pool is open in the winter and for novelty, it was interesting to jump in but does not have spa temps-it is heated but you’re not going to want to stay in too long. Fortunately there is a sauna available. The staff was friendly and helpful (except the surly bartender at Allegro) and plenty of shopping right outside the hotel.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 February 2008

We stayed at the Hilton on tour and found it comfortable. It is located just outside Old Quebec town and certainly within easy walking distance to this wonderful place. We also spent some time exploring the neighbourhood around the hotel and discovered some nice places to stop and have coffee or a small meal. Our view from the window was of gardens so this was very pleasant.

Perhaps because we were on tour we had no problems with room size, porterage or booking in so have no real criticism of the hotel or the staff. Breakfast was good.

Given the hilly area within the walls of Old Quebec you need to be fit to fully explore and appreciate the wonderful shops and cafes that this city offers. We found an underground walkway back to the Hilton which made the return hike easier for our mothers - not quite so steep.

I thought the Hilton was a good hotel to stay at although perhaps not a luxury hotel.

• Stayed: May 2006
Reviewed 31 January 2008

AVOID the Hilton Quebec City.

I stayed there the night of Jan 30-31. The room was the tiniest room I have ever stayed in. There was no blanket on the bed (only a sheet). Now seriously, who sleeps without a blanket in the middle of the Winder, in QC City? I opened the closet and found a neatly folded blanket, placed in a plastic bag. I opened it, and as I was placing it on my bed, I saw small hair all over. I put the blanket back in the closet (and washed my hands, yak!).

Hygiene is my #1 priority when I chose a hotel, and this one failed, big time. Don’t be fooled by the “Hilton” name, this one in Quebec City is different.

I’ve been travelling to Quebec City once a month for the last 2 years and have stayed in at least a dozen different hotels. Therefore, I am comparing my experience to other hotels I’ve stayed at. Some great, some not so bad, and a few that were bad. This one was by far the worst.

The best hotels in Quebec City for me have been “Palace Royal” and the “Delta Quebec”. There is also an AMAZING hotel called “Germain Des Près” (although this hotel is a bit outside the city, in Ste-Foy). You have a vast choice in Quebec City, with very competitive prices. Don’t be fooled by this one.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank LoveTheSoleil
Reviewed 15 January 2008

I have just spent 5 nights at this Hilton Hotel. The rooms are very average. If you can believe it they have rooms that still have 2 TWIN beds in them. Unfortunately that was one of the rooms that I got. The overall size of the room is comfortable. The decor of the room is dated. Being female the bathroom is important to me and the size was good and I liked the counter top space.The shower was ok but the bathtub didn't look inviting and I wouldn't consider soaking in it. The huge panoramic window is very nice. They have updated the clock radio and it was easy to use. They didn't have wireless internet so you could only hook up via connection that was on the desk.
The coffee supplied in the room is so so, but if you need a coffee when getting ready in the morning it will suffice. The food that I had at the hotel was good, but not amazing. Then again I was there for a meeting and they were cooking for a large group.
The staff that I encountered all seemed really friendly. I do believe that they are starting to renovate this hotel so it may be up to Hilton standards in the near future. You may want to check upon booking. I think they were working on the 3rd floor while I was there. I hope this information helps.

Jasper.
ps An earlier poster has pictures which were very true to the rooms likeness. (sorry I can't remember who)

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 December 2007

This is a modern bland hotel.... close to the old town (which is a plus). Rooms are small and need updating.... no hilton sleeper beds at this property. Bathroom is small..... breakfast is ok but not the same quality and standard as Hilton Bonaventure in Montreal. Had a very good rate that included breakfast..... if had a higher rate would probably opt for the Courtyard Marriott.

Executive Lounge was always crowded... can hear corridor noise at night.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family