“Looks nice, good location, not clean, very poor wifi”
Review of Hilton Quebec

Hilton Quebec
Ranked #34 of 102 Hotels in Quebec City
Reviewed 25 April 2013

I stayed here for four nights in mid April while attending a conference at the very close by Congress Centre. All in all, I had a mixed experience.

Location: I'll start with the very good news. The hotel is really ideally situated for anyone attending an event at the Congress Centre. There's an indoor link or you can literally walk less than 50m outside to go in the front door. For my stay, this was great. It's also very close to the old town. Everything in old town is no more than a 15-20 minute walk away. There were plenty of great restaurants and a grocery store located within 2 blocks.

Room: This was a mixed bag. The room had a very pleasant modern design and looked recently redesigned. The king bed was very comfortable and there was little noise to be heard from the street below (I was on the 12th floor overlooking the Parliament buildings - a stunning view!) or from other rooms. I slept very well each of the four nights. During my stay, I had a large number of junebugs / beetles that materialized from inside the heater below the window and crawled all over the window throughout my stay. About 20 dead bugs littered the windowsill and the floor close by each day of my stay. I mentioned it to the front desk who only gave it a bit of a shrug. One day they were cleaned up by housekeeping, the other days not. I expected a bit more from a Hilton of this stature. On another cleanliness item - two of my shower towels had pretty significant stains that were off-putting to say the least.

Amenities: A business-oriented hotel needs to have strong, reliable, fast wifi. This place didn't. I got better download speeds on my iPhone via 3G than the hotel's wifi. The two nights I (tried) to use the wifi it would continuously drop out and run at speeds less than 1Mb/s. This is really unacceptable for a business hotel. It's further unacceptable if you have to pay $9.95/night for it (the charge was removed either because of the conference rate or as a result of having a HHonors membership). In order to transfer some large files I literally had to walk over to the conference centre to do this. It also meant no Skype/FaceTime calls to family back home.

Staff/Management: With the exception of the one lackadaisical response mentioned above from the front desk, the staff were very pleasant and very accommodating of my basic French. A waiter in the hotel bar was exceptionally friendly and added greatly to the charm of a group get-together one evening.

Overall: I've traveled extensively and am pretty laid back when it comes to hotels. Good location, clean, reliable wifi, helpful staff and I'm a happy guest. That being said, I'd be hard pressed to return to this hotel, even for something at the Congress Centre in the future. I've had great experiences at Hilton properties recently (Denver, Pittsburgh) that weren't matched here. Although the price was reasonable and it was perfectly situated, the cleanliness of my room and the terrible wifi would make me look elsewhere next time.

Room Tip: See if you can get a room overlooking the historic old town - beautiful views of the Chateau Fronten...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
DanyThibault, General Manager at Hilton Quebec, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2013

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your past stay. Knowing that you are a valued HHonors member and travel frequently, I must say that I was troubled by your review. I sincerely apologize for not offering you the high level quality of stay that you can usually expect from us.
This being said, I must specify that all of our employees get quarterly trainings on how to lookout for signs of bugs in a room. If ever a situation does occur, there have a very strict procedure to respect. Although it doesn’t happen very often, when an employee or a guest reports that there are bugs in the room, we assign a new room to our guest and put the room in quarantine. The room then goes under a rigorous bug inspection with PCO until the problem is completely solved. I sincerely hope that this situation was declared. As a matter of fact, I would really appreciate if you could send me more details (your room number and dates of stay) in order for me to do a proper follow up with our housekeeping and maintenance departments regarding your troubles. I can be reached at dany.thibault@hilton.com .
I am aware that we are not immune to mistakes. However, it is how we handle the situation that can help leave a positive impression. If ever you plan another stay in Quebec City and you wish to give us another try, please contact me directly and I will take care of your reservation personally.
Dany Thibault

There are newer reviews for Hilton Quebec

Reviewed 25 April 2013

The Hilton Hotel in Quebec City in well located with panoramic views over the old city - we had on room on the 20th floor. When the fog cleared on our 3rd day we could see the old city walls, the famous Frontenac Hotel, the Barbour and the Appalachian Mountains. Our room was spacious and very comfortable. The service was good. The in-house restaurant was OK but nothing special for a city known for its french cuisine (we had excellent meals in restaurants in the old town)

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 April 2013

Short distance from the plains of Abraham and across from the provincial parliament, this is a very good hotel with excellent service. I had a quite stay, the facilities were of good quality though the amenities were limited for a hotel of this class. Did not have newspapers delivered to room, though it was available on the front desk. Room was comfortable, clean and quite. Overall a very satisfactory stay and would recommend hghly

Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 April 2013

In February, friends and I headed to Quebec City to experience the annual Carnival. What a beautiful time we had ... largely due to the Hilton Quebec.

Location: PERFECT to experience the entire city! Easily accessible to and from major highways, directly across the street of the Carnival main entrance, and quick access to everything Old Quebec has to offer - shops, pubs, restos and more!

Rooms: Larger than a standard room with the most beautiful view of Parliament and the river! Beds are super comfortable, just standard hotel washrooms, clean, helpful staff (but a bit to early for cleaning - at 9:30am every morning).

Food (in hotel): Did not eat in the hotel. But there are two restaurants that seemed to be pretty full for each meal.

Parking: Kinda awkward to find - you enter through a small back road on the side of the hotel and not from the main entrance. Standard city parking rate for the hotel.

Things to do: Carnival was our main focus, so we really did everything that was available for that. Meals were enjoyed mostly in Old Quebec - as it was a 5 minute walk away from the hotel. Winter Tubing and Rafting @ Valcartier Vacation Village - so much fun and a short 30 minutes from the hotel! A beautiful walk through the Parc de la Chute-Montmorency (on the frozen water!) about 20 minutes away from the hotel. Hotel de Glace for a drink and to explore - just a short 30 minute drive.

Room Tip: Definitely request the Parliament view... you see it and the river :)
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lily P
Reviewed 14 April 2013

This is one of two hotels ‘hugging” the Conference Centre, the other one being Delta. My colleague stayed at the Delta, I have seen her room and concluded the Hilton is a better alternative.
Clean room, comfortable beds and pleasant staff. The Internet was $10. If you have HHonours card it is supposed to be free – mine never worked, so I spent $30 over three days. The bar on the main floor has decent wines @~$10/glass. I never ate in their restaurant. You can go down and down the escalator stairs and outside on the left side is an inexpensive breakfast place.
Next time I come, I will try one of the many B&B places in Quebec.

Reviewed 11 April 2013

Location: Great location with fantastic views over Old Quebec/St. Lawrence River/ Chateau Frotenac, with easy walking distance to all.

Rooms: Get a suite- it is well worth it! Very spacious, easy flow, kitchen,plenty of surface spaces to put your 'stuff'. Bed was very comfortable, with silky sheets, down duvets,ample down pillows.
Suite Bonus: access to the Executive lounge on 23rd floor with internet access/coffee/teas/ and amazing corner views of the Old City/River.

Staff: Very friendly, helpful, courteous, and accommodating- very impressed and will definetly return here!

Parking: Valet or self in Place Quebec

If you're wondering, like we were, should I stay in a 'boutique hotel' or a big chain hotel- you will not be disappointed by this property- we loved it and had a great time here!

Room Tip: Old Quebec/River view, and suite is the best.
Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank SevenContinentRob
Reviewed 7 April 2013

Stayed here for 5 nights as I was attending a conference and this was the "conference hotel". Sure, it is right across the street from the convention center and close to old Quebec City, so location is good. But that's where the "good" stops.

We found the front desk staff rude and didn't seem to have the time of day for us, esp. if you call them up to ask a question and you spoke English. Concierge was not helpful, nor was the bell staff - their motto must be "do it yourself".

We stayed on a floor with access to the Executive Lounge. The lounge provides free breakfast and afternoon hors d'oeuvre and has an amazing view of the city from the 23rd floor. We did enjoy this part of the hotel - except that there was no hors d'oeuvres available on the last night of our stay, even though they advertised that there was! Don't know what happened there. You do have to pay for your drinks though in the lounge.

Our room was on the 22nd floor and also has a great view of the city. Unfortunately, it was NOT CLEAN. When we checked in around 10pm, we found long hairs in the sink and bathtub and crumbs and dirt on the carpet - clearly it had not been cleaned properly. We called housekeeping and they had to send someone to clean while we sat there and waited. They did not compensate us for this inconvenience. On another day, my husband found a toque left behind by a previous guest between the pillows and the headboard! Again, clearly the room was not properly cleaned between guests. We called and complained for the second time and they finally compensated us by giving us a credit for 50% of the first night's rate. I would have expected more, given the room was consistently not cleaned properly.

The plumbing is VERY OLD. The bathroom had a smell of mouldy old pipes coming up the drains and there was black mould on the shower tiles, which we could wipe away easily with a cloth - so clearly, they do not clean the tiles or disinfect them regularly.

The bedsheets were clean (thank goodness) and the bed was reasonably comfortable. The air conditioning unit is old and loud. The room is not lit very brightly, which I find odd, given that this is a convention/business hotel.

Had room service - food was ok but nothing to write home about. Eat at one of the many wonderful restaurants in old Quebec City and avoid the hotel food.

The gym is very small for the size of the hotel. Only 2 ellipticals and I always had to wait for a machine.

Would I stay here again even if the conference was here? Absolutely not. There are many other alternatives that are cheaper and a lot nicer than this place. You may need to walk a few minutes to get to the convention centre but it would be better than this place.

1  Thank IzzyEdmonton
DanyThibault, General Manager at Hilton Quebec, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2013

Good morning,

Thank you for taking the time to share the less than satisfactory experience.

I must say that I was troubled by your review. This is really not the type of comment I enjoy reading. Especially when I know the high level of service that our hotel usually offers. It seems like you have had an issue with everything at our hotel. I sincerely apologize. I understand how frustrating this must be.

Was a supervisor made aware of all of the problems you had? I would really appreciate if you could send me more details (your room number and dates of stay) in order for me to do a proper follow up with our housekeeping & front office departments regarding all of your troubles. I can be reached at dany.thibault@hilton.com.

Dany Thibault