“Great hotel”

Ranked #34 of 101 Hotels in Quebec City
edmonton, alberta
“Great hotel”
Reviewed 23 September 2008

My husband was booked for a conference in Quebec and asked me to join him over the weekend. We both arrived in the early evening of September 11th and were given a room on the 14th floor overlooking the old city. What a view!! Absolutely beautiful. Even though we do not speak French, we never encountered any problems with staff, whether it was the doorman, the front desk personnel or lounge staff. Everyone was very pleasant, helpful and professional. As I was only there for a few nights, we opted to go to restaurants in the old city rather than eating in our room so I cannot comment on room service or restaurants. The room itself was nicely decorated, the furniture appeared to be new and in good condition, as were the bed and window coverings. The room was also supplied with a coffee maker, blow dryer, fridge, etc., same things you'd expect in any good hotel, but the thing that made the room so special was the view. We left the curtains open and just enjoyed the early morning views or the lights late at night. Very charming. The weather wasn't the best, sort of rainy and drizzly but we just grabbed an umbrella and went walking. Tons of shops and restaurants within very close distance. Never had any difficulties with language while in the old city either, all shop keepers were very pleasant and helpful. I have nothing but good things to say about the entire experience. Would love to go back again and visit more places as we just did not get to enjoy enough of the beautiful city. Would we visit the Hilton again? Definitely!!

• Liked — Comfortable, clean room with amazing views
1 Thank flaherma

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (517)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
British Columbia
Reviewed 21 September 2008

I stayed at the Hilton as part of a conference package and at the end wished I hadn't. I have stayed in a number of Hiltons in various countries and this was the worst, though I wouldn't say it was terrible in the rating just majorly disappointing to the point if I get back to Quebec I won't be staying there again.

At check-in the person I shared a taxi with was greeted by the receptionist as an old friend - "I've put you on the 18th floor with a view of the old city as you are staying for 8 days". I was staying for 8 days too but got a view of the swimming pool from the 5th floor. I was already a member of their Hilton Honors program whereas the other person had to sign up.

I booked in June and requested a King at the time but was told at check in that they only had double doubles available- apparently they can't allocate rooms when they are booked well in advance.

The bed was really comfortable but the floor in the bathroom could have been cleaned as it seemed to stick to your feet as you walked on it. The coffee maker was a safety hazard as at the end of the brew time it actually finished dispensing the water (now hot) by spitting out of the brew basket - if you were standing close or getting the mug out you got covered in hot water. Be really careful of the coffee maker. I asked for a new coffee maker and got one but it did it too.

The fully stocked mini-bar was in fact an empty fridge.

All local calls were $1 for connection with another charge for time over a minute - aren't local calls free in Canada? A definite scam by Hilton.

The business centre charged $30 an hour for the internet! Maybe the Quebec Hilton should talk to Manchester and London Heathrow (England) or Detroit Hiltons as none of them charge anything for access.

I saw on a previous review that people speaking English were not given good service but I spoke French and they all responded in English definitely not what I had wanted.

There was a note in the room saying that if you want to keep towels hang them up on the towel rail. Every time I did that they were replaced. The only time I was left with the towels was when I wrote a note saying to leave them and then it was only for the day I wrote the note.

• Liked — Bed
  • Disliked — Coffee Maker
2 Thank Fia16
Massachusett
Reviewed 8 September 2008

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay in this hotel. I was on the 18th floor overlooking the old city and the St. Lawrence seaway. The staff were friendly and pleasant. The hors d'oeuvres served at the executive lounge were good.

If I visit Quebec City again, I would stay in this hotel again.

• Liked — Excellent view. Proximity to places to visit.
  • Disliked — There is nothing I don't like here. However, it would like to have free internet access in the bedroom.
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank beadyMA
Ontario
Reviewed 7 September 2008

My husband and I stayed for almost a week at the Hilton in Quebec city.

We opted to book a better class room which gave us acess to the executive lounge. It was the best desision we could ever make. We loved the ability (after a day of walking around) to just sit and relax with a glass or two of wine without worrying about a budget (some alcohol, canapes, and breakfast are covered in the lounge.

We loved everything about the hotel including how helpful the staff was when we were locked out of our lougage when we arived.

The view from our room was of all "Old" Quebec. At one point in time we were recommended to go to a restaurant (from a nother couple we met) because of the great view.... we declined an informed them that there could not be a better view then our hotel room.

I do wish that the rooms were more romantic and less business and it would have been nice to have a tub for two on our honeymoon.

Overall, we LOVED staying at the Hilton in Quebec City.

• Liked — The Location
  • Disliked — The pool
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lulu017
Canada
Reviewed 4 September 2008

This Hilton has out-dated rooms with very old furniture. The bathroom shower ceiling had spots where paint was peeling and almost no water pressure. The valet parking service was terrible as the attendant in the booth was very impolite and the car took almost 25 mins to arrive when I told him I was in a hurry. I wont be going back to this hotel, that's for sure...

1 Thank MartyQC
kyoto
Reviewed 28 August 2008

We paid $345. CA $ and our room was terrible. I went down to the receptionist to ask for another room she stated they were all the same. For that price I was expecting a decent room. The bathroom was small and the tile grout was black. The furniture was old and not in a good meaning old. The hall was dark . I travel a lot and have never paid that much and been so disappointed.
Because of high taxes in Quebec the bill came to $400CA

• Stayed August 2008
1 Thank takekoyama
York
Reviewed 22 August 2008

Realizing it was the 400th Anniverary of Quebec City and the town was crowded, I stayed at the Hilton on business and paid well over $300 for an average hotel room. Right down the street was a Marriott that was a third the price and the room was nicer. When the dining room folks realized I didn't speak French, I was placed in an area reserved for "gringos" and had terrible service from the waitress when all the French-speaking people around me were served with a smile. Even though I accumulate Hilton Honors points for stays in Hilton properties, I will never again use this particular Hilton. In fact, on my next trip in November, I have already reserved rooms at the Marriott. I stayed there a nuber of years ago and the service and acomodations were much better.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled on business