“Typical Hilton- Very Nice”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hilton Quebec

Hilton Quebec
Ranked #36 of 101 Hotels in Quebec City
JOHNSTOWN, PA
“Typical Hilton- Very Nice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2010

I stayed at the Hilton Quebec April 15th to 21st for a conference. The hotel is nicely connected to the convention center by going down the escalators which was great since the weather outside was not nice.

I had room 1310 which is a smoking room and it was not renovated but it was still very nice. Some items were updated in the room but not everything. The room looks out over old town and had a great view but with a main road right below it was noisy during the day. I arrived in Quebec with a bad cold and no sleep the previous night and had a hard time taking a mid-day nap. They had a great duvet which helped warm me up because I could never seem to get the room really warm no matter how I adjusted the thermostat. One night I didn’t keep the heat or fan running and I woke up really stuffy so each night I kept it running on low.

When the doors opened on 13 you could tell it was a smoking floor. The smell of smoke was very strong. I’ve been to hotels where you cannot smell the smoke on smoking floors but this isn’t one of them. The annoying part about this is that the maids spray very cheap air freshener like Glad every day. An air freshener is great but spend an extra buck and get some Fabreez or something. I don’t have asthma but walking around the floor after they sprayed that stuff made me feel like I was having an asthma attack.

The rooms have old mini bars that are simply empty now. Some work and keep your stuff sort of cold others just don’t work. Renting a fridge that works will cost you $15 per night. There were some American channels on the TV but nothing I wanted to watch except hockey.

I opted for the executive level which got me access to the club lounge which included free internet in the club lounge, continental breakfast and snacks from 5 to 7. Plus you could usually get hot tea and coffee all day. The view is amazing and worth it. It cost me a $28 per night upgrade but since internet in the room was $12+ per night it was a good deal for me. When you check in some will offer you the upgrade and some won’t. You may need to ask.

The staff was really nice and they really took care of us. English wasn’t an issue within the hotel. We booked our city tour at the hotel desk per the recommendation of the tour company and they were really helpful and the price was the same.

The housekeeping staff does not speak English so if you need something call downstairs. There is a single cup coffee maker in the room. Actually you can make two cups but it is that type of machine.

Friday night they have a seafood buffet that includes lobster at $69 per person. Not sure I got my money’s worth except that food is expensive everywhere in Quebec City. If you want your lobster grilled you need to ask the waiter but they have boiled lobsters on the buffet. They did have crab legs served hot but no melted butter with them. They give you melted garlic butter with the grilled lobster but it was too strong for me and I asked for plain melted butter. The other seafood on the buffet was ok but nothing I really thought was outstanding. The desserts were good especially the raspberry moose. Raspberry seems to be a specialty there and the raspberry gelato at Tutto Gelato down on St. Jean Street is out of this world.

Cab fare from the airport was $32.50.

If I returned to Quebec City this is the hotel I would book again but I don’t think I would return except on business and I would hope it would be when it was warmer and not raining and snowing.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank HOSKI
yqbhi, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Quebec, responded to this review, 5 May 2010
Thank you very much for taking the time to write such an extensive review of the Hilton Quebec. I'm certain that it will help other readers make an informed decision about where to stay. We have taken note of your comments and will consider them in our future decisions, as we always do with guest comments.
I would just like to specify that fridge rental is 15$ per stay, and not per day. And indeed, with the renovations, the empty minibars will be replaced by safes.
As we will be renovating more rooms in the next year, we look forward to welcoming you again, maybe in a brand new decor!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (509)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Hancock, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2010

This hotel is connected underground to the Convention Center for business conferences, is across the street from Parliament and Quebec City City Hall. Tour buses and the free shuttle bus stop right out front to take you anywhere in the older walled part of the city. Rooms have been updated and have all the amenities. We enjoyed the heated outdoor pool and sauna to unwind after all-day meetings.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
I would like to take the time to thank you for reviewing the Hilton Quebec. We are always pleased when people share their experiences and opinions on our hotel. We hope to welcome you again shortly.
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2010

This awesome hotel has the greatest location in the City. Each time I've stayed at this hotel, the room was clean, staff is warm and friendly, each and every room is providing a breathtaking view. Restaurant is great and affordable. Be sure to ask for a renovated room.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
We are happy to hear that you are satisfied with our hotel every time you stay with us. We strive to offer great service consistently. We are looking forward to welcoming you again soon.
Ottawa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Hilton Quebec City in January for a weekend and were completely underwhelmed and unimpressed. We're not the kind of people who go about complaining about places and are usually quite happy with most of our stays however, the moment we pulled up to the Hilton we knew our weekend would be less than outstanding as 5 large tour busses carrying medical students from various universities pulled in at the same time. Before we could even get out of our car, the doorman criticized our parking job (with 5 large tour buses, there wasn't really anywhere to park so we had to kind of create a spot to park while checking in).
Our 15th floor room was more like a highway-side Best Western than other Hilton's we had stayed in with a faded, dingy couch and less than modern furnishings. With a 2 month old in tow we decided to stay in and order room service for the evening and found the food very, very mediocre- (frozen vegetables and a lacklustre, overcooked, poorly flavoured sausage.)
While we knew the hundred or so med students would be less than ideal neighbours, we'd been promised a room far away from their rooms. However, we ended up directly below some considerate students who decided to host a dance party that started at 11 p.m. (My husband and I are neither old, and were once university students ourselves, we had to comment on the fact that these kids were in Quebec City and couldn't find anywhere better to party than their room) At 11:30 we called the front desk to address the situation and were told that it would be taken care of. At 12 a.m. my husband ventured upstairs to find a sole security person standing in the hallway and about 70 kids partying in one room. After another call to the front desk, either staff ended the party or the kids decided to head out after disturbing surrounding guests for over an hour.
I've stayed at several other Hiltons and always been quite happy (the Hilton in Victoria, B.C. is VERY lovely) however this fell far, far below our expectations and we will think twice before staying at a Hilton again.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
yqbhi, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Quebec, responded to this review, 4 May 2010
I am truly sorry about your less than desirable experience at the Hilton Quebec. It is true that, for the first time, we had decided to try and host a large group of university students who were in town for an event. We didn't know, or anticipate, how loud and disturbing they would be. We have learned our lessons and will be better prepared if this type of event comes our way again.
Hilton is recognized for its high service standards and for being a place where you can go to get away, peacefully. Unfortunately, we completely missed our chance to give you that type of experience and once again, I sincerely apologize. Just know that this isn't the type of group that we generally have in house, and we would love for you to come back some day and have a true Hilton Quebec experience, in one of our renovated rooms. We are definitely better than what you saw.
Seoul, South Korea
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2010

We came here for the Quebec Winter Carnival which we've never been to before...for that purpose, it was perfect. We can see the ice castles & sculptures right outside our window, and hear the music thumping from the parties at night(with that said, if you're looking for a quiet place to stay, this is not it during the Winter Carnival).
Service was OK - would have been nice of them to give us more info on the winter carnival. For example, it would have been very helpful if they told us that the parade goes right BY our hotel...this would have saved us a few frost bites when we walked far an hour earlier to get a 'good spot' when we could have just gone out later and saved us a few toes. Or where to get effigies, and if they provided it.
The restaurant's food was a bit overpriced for the food that's not so good...but then again most chain hotels are that way anyways.
As far as the rooms, they're nothing special. The beds were not very comfortable...tacky colored bed quilt & our mattress was very sunken. Almost felt like we were sleeping on a King Sized Cot.
So the bottom line is, for the location it's wonderful but the hotel itself is nothing special.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking the time to comment on our hotel. We value our guest's comments and appreciate finding out what our strong and weak points are, from your point of view. We can then do the necessary follow-up with our staff to make all of our guests have a great Hilton experience.
I would just like to take the time to acknowledge your comments about the room, and let you know that we are in the process of renovating all the rooms in the hotel. As we speak, we have finished the lower half of the hotel and hope to finish the rest, gradually, in a year or so.
We hope you will come back to experience these new rooms.

Sophie Jacques
Montreal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2010

Stayed at Hilton Québec for 1 night on March 20th. Chech-in was easy and fast.

Room: Beautiful and very clean. The 8th floor offers an amazing view on the Plaines d'Abraham, vieux Québec or Québec city depending on your room location. I was a bit disapointed that we had two beds instead of one and hotel was fully booked so I couldn't upgrade. The room was next to the elevators so it was a bit noisy at night especially aroung 3h30 am when people are back from night clubs and the window in the room is a bit thin so you can hear people yelling in the streets, car and buses. Sheets, pillows and cover are very comfy

Pool: a bit cold at 80F for an outdoor heated pool, we stayed for 10 minutes but we had to get out as this was way to cool for us.

Location: Right in front of Les plaines d'abraham, next to the Old Québec and one street south of La Grande-Allée (clubs, restaurants).

Couldn't ask for more!!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cricripou
Kitchener, ON
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2010

In looking for a hotel in Quebec City for my cadet's trip, I reviewed numerous hotels, motels and hostels. Amazingly, the best rate came from Hilton. The Sales Manager was accommodating and even helped us with a great breakfast space next to the hotel. The staff were helpful and friendly, the rooms were more than perfect for my cadets and staff and the views were amazing. The hotel is located in the perfect position at the gates of the old city.
Thank you to Hélène and especially to Mr. Guy Godin who helped provide my cadets with a great place to rest their heads on a busy educational tour of Canada's oldest city.

• Stayed March 2010