“Great Hotel - Great Stay”
Review of Hilton Quebec

Hilton Quebec
Ranked #34 of 101 Hotels in Quebec City
Minnesota
“Great Hotel - Great Stay”
Reviewed 9 July 2010

This was a wonderful Hilton to stay at. My first instinct when traveling to Quebec City was to of course stay at the Chateau Frontenac, but I opted for the Hilton primarily because we are Diamond members and love most Hiltons. Am I ever glad we chose to stay here. Old town Quebec including the Frontenac is an easy walk from here but would have been a tough drive most times of day. The hotel itself I found in great condition and a very friendly staff. Like most people from outside Quebec I speak basically no French and would be embarrassed to try. The Hilton like every place in the city will greet you with a Bonjour, and even if you respond with a Bonjour they will switch to English. Quebec City was one of the nicest places to visit I've been too and can't wait to come again, and I will definately stay at the Hilton.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
yqbhi, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Quebec, responded to this review, 3 August 2010
Thank you for your kind comments. I am happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again very soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (515)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
ga
Reviewed 7 July 2010

Stayed at the hilton during the 4th of July holiday from the 2nd-6th. Had an excellent view of Old City Quebec except for the morning sun. I left the curtains open and to my suprise the sun came up at 4:45 am. The pillows were more for a twin size bed vs a king size bed. The bed was not as comfortable as what I thought for a hotel of this status. The price of room service was too much a $32 meal ended being $56 after all the taxes, tips, car registration (lol) The location was perfect, in walking distance of almost all attractions, right across the street from the Parliment. The staff were great, even credited me one day of wifi service due to the misunderstanding. With all this being said I'm keeping in mind that this is an Old City 4hrs north of Montreal.

Tip:Internet prices either you pay for 3hrs/24hrs consecutive
Again the room service is pricey (Allegro restaurant)

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
I would like to thank you for reviewing the Hilton Quebec. I'm sure your comments will enlighten other travellers who are trying to decide where to stay.
We look forward to welcoming you again soon.
nj/az
Reviewed 22 June 2010

Beautiful hotel close to the Old City and Grand Allee. Wonderful views; highly recommended

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Chula Vista, California
Reviewed 30 May 2010

I am a gold member of the Hilton Honors Program and am very loyal to this brand. I always try to stay at a Hilton property whenever possible.

Upon arrival, I was underwhelmed by the look of the hotel. The rotating door into the hotel had been cordoned off with red tape making it unsightly and unusable. When I got out of the car, I was greeted kindly in French. When I indicated I did not speak French, I was promply ignored.

To check in, I got in the hilton honors line which was shorter than the normal line. When the next Hilton Honors clerk became available at the front desk, she looked at me then she called someone from the regular line. I looked at her quizically and then she said, "Hilton Honors?". "Yes", I replied but thought to myself, that's why I'm standing in the Hilton Honors line.

I signed the customary form that you sign at check-in thinking I was agreeing to all the extra room charges, etc.

I asked about the gold level upgrade and was told that I was being given a room on the executive floor, one of the nicest floors in the hotel.

When we got to the room, again I was underwhelmed. I had a view of the parking lot/convention center instead of a view toward the St. Lawrence Seaway/old Quebec City. The room was nothing special.

The room was warm and despite efforts to cool it down, it seemed that the air was not working. I had difficulty sleeping in such a warm room.

The next morning I needed to get on a computer and called to see where the business center was. They said they did not have one but that there was wireless internet access available for $11 a day. Since I did not have a computer, that did not help me.

As a gold member, you are generally given coupons for breakfast. The next morning I called the front desk and asked about breakfast since I was not given any information or coupons for breakfast. I was told that I should have been given that upon check in. I was asked to go down to the front desk. When I arrived, there was a lot of confusion as to what I was entitled to. First they gave me coupons for a continental breakfast in their hotel then later determined that I had paid for admittance to the executive club. I did not think I had paid for that but thought I was entitled due to my gold level status.

I went there for breakfast which was very good. And the view from the 23rd floor of the city and the river was incredible. Martin, the attendant there was fantastic and an excellent employee.

When I went to check out (one day early) I noticed my bill was higher than expected. I had reserved the room for $229 CAD and was charged $289 CAD plus taxes of about $40 per day and valet parking of about $25 per day. I questioned the amount and was told that was the amount I signed for when checking in. Again, I did not look at the form closely as I have never had the Hilton change the room rate on me. This is a first and I am currently disputing it with hilton honors.

The only good things I can say about the hotel is it is located very conveniently to the old city and the employees in the executive lounge were very friendly and helpful.

The attitude of the other staff was definitely what you would expect at a hilton property.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Oregonian_in_Cali
JOHNSTOWN, PA
Reviewed 23 April 2010

I stayed at the Hilton Quebec April 15th to 21st for a conference. The hotel is nicely connected to the convention center by going down the escalators which was great since the weather outside was not nice.

I had room 1310 which is a smoking room and it was not renovated but it was still very nice. Some items were updated in the room but not everything. The room looks out over old town and had a great view but with a main road right below it was noisy during the day. I arrived in Quebec with a bad cold and no sleep the previous night and had a hard time taking a mid-day nap. They had a great duvet which helped warm me up because I could never seem to get the room really warm no matter how I adjusted the thermostat. One night I didn’t keep the heat or fan running and I woke up really stuffy so each night I kept it running on low.

When the doors opened on 13 you could tell it was a smoking floor. The smell of smoke was very strong. I’ve been to hotels where you cannot smell the smoke on smoking floors but this isn’t one of them. The annoying part about this is that the maids spray very cheap air freshener like Glad every day. An air freshener is great but spend an extra buck and get some Fabreez or something. I don’t have asthma but walking around the floor after they sprayed that stuff made me feel like I was having an asthma attack.

The rooms have old mini bars that are simply empty now. Some work and keep your stuff sort of cold others just don’t work. Renting a fridge that works will cost you $15 per night. There were some American channels on the TV but nothing I wanted to watch except hockey.

I opted for the executive level which got me access to the club lounge which included free internet in the club lounge, continental breakfast and snacks from 5 to 7. Plus you could usually get hot tea and coffee all day. The view is amazing and worth it. It cost me a $28 per night upgrade but since internet in the room was $12+ per night it was a good deal for me. When you check in some will offer you the upgrade and some won’t. You may need to ask.

The staff was really nice and they really took care of us. English wasn’t an issue within the hotel. We booked our city tour at the hotel desk per the recommendation of the tour company and they were really helpful and the price was the same.

The housekeeping staff does not speak English so if you need something call downstairs. There is a single cup coffee maker in the room. Actually you can make two cups but it is that type of machine.

Friday night they have a seafood buffet that includes lobster at $69 per person. Not sure I got my money’s worth except that food is expensive everywhere in Quebec City. If you want your lobster grilled you need to ask the waiter but they have boiled lobsters on the buffet. They did have crab legs served hot but no melted butter with them. They give you melted garlic butter with the grilled lobster but it was too strong for me and I asked for plain melted butter. The other seafood on the buffet was ok but nothing I really thought was outstanding. The desserts were good especially the raspberry moose. Raspberry seems to be a specialty there and the raspberry gelato at Tutto Gelato down on St. Jean Street is out of this world.

Cab fare from the airport was $32.50.

If I returned to Quebec City this is the hotel I would book again but I don’t think I would return except on business and I would hope it would be when it was warmer and not raining and snowing.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank HOSKI
yqbhi, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Quebec, responded to this review, 5 May 2010
Thank you very much for taking the time to write such an extensive review of the Hilton Quebec. I'm certain that it will help other readers make an informed decision about where to stay. We have taken note of your comments and will consider them in our future decisions, as we always do with guest comments.
I would just like to specify that fridge rental is 15$ per stay, and not per day. And indeed, with the renovations, the empty minibars will be replaced by safes.
As we will be renovating more rooms in the next year, we look forward to welcoming you again, maybe in a brand new decor!
Hancock, Maine
Reviewed 22 April 2010

This hotel is connected underground to the Convention Center for business conferences, is across the street from Parliament and Quebec City City Hall. Tour buses and the free shuttle bus stop right out front to take you anywhere in the older walled part of the city. Rooms have been updated and have all the amenities. We enjoyed the heated outdoor pool and sauna to unwind after all-day meetings.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
I would like to take the time to thank you for reviewing the Hilton Quebec. We are always pleased when people share their experiences and opinions on our hotel. We hope to welcome you again shortly.
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 12 April 2010

This awesome hotel has the greatest location in the City. Each time I've stayed at this hotel, the room was clean, staff is warm and friendly, each and every room is providing a breathtaking view. Restaurant is great and affordable. Be sure to ask for a renovated room.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
We are happy to hear that you are satisfied with our hotel every time you stay with us. We strive to offer great service consistently. We are looking forward to welcoming you again soon.