“ideal Winter Carnivale location”

Hotel Chateau Laurier
Ranked #38 of 100 Hotels in Quebec City
Reviewed 15 February 2012

We stayed at the Chateau Laurier during the middle weekend of the Carnivale in a "European" size room. We found the room and bathroom to be very clean and in good condition. It was an ideal location for visiting the Carnivale and enjoying the events on Grand Allee (canoe race trials). Another benefit was the variety of restaurants adjacent to the hotel. We ate breakfast at the nearby Starbucks often and also tried St Hubert, La Vieille Maison du Spaghetti, Restaurant Asia and Cosmos Cafe. I was interested in the hotel's hot tub but was never able to locate it, even after asking staff. (Operator error?) We were traveling with another couple and wanted to play some cards and were directed to an unused suitable area near the north entrance. The rooms were too small for anything but sleeping and the bathroom was even more cramped. One could nearly rest their head on the sink while using the toilet! I would consider a larger room next time (I'm 6'6'' tall) but the per night charge was already eye-watering. Best to bundle up and stay outdoors enjoyng all this charming city has to offer.

Room Tip: The hotel rambles over a large part of the block so not sure what other rooms have to offer, but we...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Johanne C, Director of Sales at Hotel Chateau Laurier, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2012

Bonjour, thank you very much for taking the time to comment on our hotel. We value our guest's observations and appreciate finding out what our strong and weak points are, from your point of view. It is unfortunate you could not experience the hot tub, it is always magical during a cold evening, and we hope you will find them during your next visit. Our location in the heart of Old Quebec, within reach of all activities is truly our claim to fame!
Johanne Caron, director of sales and marketing

Write a ReviewReviews (1,565)

Reviewed 11 February 2012

Along with the architecture of this hotel is only a few of the many reasons I love this hotel. I have the pleasure of staying here a few times a year and recently stayed. I usually have a suite that was more like an apartment. Always spottless upon check in. The staff and the service is always exceptional. They always make me feel like I'm at home. The location of this hotel is walking distance to several great restaurants! I would never stay anywhere else while in Quebec.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank William K
Johanne C, Director of Sales at Hotel Chateau Laurier, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2012

Bonjour, thank you for your comments. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed once again your stay with us. Hope to see you again very soon! Johanne Caron, director of sales and marketing

Reviewed 8 February 2012

Got a 3-day travel package from Flight Centre for Quebec Winter Carnival. We arrived and no room reservation was made. Check-In Receptionist does not have a clue. Seems disorganized and luckily I have all my papers with me.

We got an okay room but considering it was a package and we were out all day, so not a big deal.

Hotel restaurant is pretty limiting. Nothing to eat after 10:00 pm so if your flight is late and you have not eaten yet, you will be hungry and have to go outside the hotel.

Hotel restaurant (St. Hubert) is sub par. Go elsewhere for breakfast.

Bed is comfortable but hot water from the sink does not come out right away. You need to let the water flow for a bit. Tub water, however, has a good flow of hot water.

The Concierge, however, was very helpful and superb. Julie Gagnon was particularly helpful.

Receptionist on duty when we were checking out is better.

Hotel has a small swimming pool, great sauna and acceptable exercise room. You can do your exercise routine, if necessary.

Fantastic location! Walking distance to lovely Old Quebec!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends

Bonjour, your evaluation on your last visit has been more than constructive and we want to thank you for the information you provided to us. We are always happy to hear that our staff is going the extra mile and offering the best customer service to our clients, we will make sure that Julie gets the praises she deserves. We hope you will return to our wonderful city. Johanne Caron director of sales and marketing

Reviewed 20 January 2012

I was there for a conference and found a bed bug at midnight on my first night there. Obviously disgusted, I called down to the receptionist to inform her of the situation and request a room change. She sent me to another smaller room and even older-looking than the one I was in (did not look very hygienic). I asked twice for a room in the newer, renovated wing. She said there was no room available in that wing and would cost more. But no room was available she claimed. As being tired and needed to get up early the next morning, I didn't argue anymore and went to the older, smaller room. The next morning at 7:30am, I complained again, and the new receptionist found a room in the new wing. It was obvious there was a room available last night but the receptionist didn't think it was worthwhile to upgrade me to a superior room given it was "only a bed bug". I was shocked at the service of this 4-star hotel. To be fair, the next day, the manager listened to my complaint and hopefully took the appropriate measures to clear this hotel of their bed bug problem. Except for the room change, the manager did not offer any other compensation for all the stress, discomfort and possible contamination I had suffered during my stay there. Definitely will not be going back to this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2012
3  Thank Freqtravelled
Johanne C, Director of Sales at Hotel Chateau Laurier, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2012

Bonjour, Please accept once again our sincere apologies, for the unfortunate experience during your last visit at the hotel. We can assure you that every day; we strive to be the best. In your case, we didn't succeed. We immediately took the necessary steps to remedy the situation to ensure the quality and comfort of future guests. However we must admit our staff could have managed the situation with more empathy and flexibility; obviously it is very important to make the necessary changes immediately and we will use your comments to enhance our training. Johanne Caron , director of sales and marketing

Reviewed 17 January 2012

Chateau Laurier was not a surprise because I checked on Trip Advisor among some hotels close or inside Old Quebec. The price was reasonable. I stayed with my family in a quadruple room and it was spacious enough for the four of us and all our luggage.
It was winter, first week of January 2012 and the heating was fine. The hotel is located facing a nice square and it is walking distance to the Old Quebec.
Service was good and staff was courteous in both English and French.
Breakfast is at St-Hubert, a fast food based on chicken. It is inside the building so access trough a corridor in winter is great. Breakfast is OK, but at dinner be prepared to wait a lot. Unless it is late at night, go somewhere else.
The Grand Alle ave is at the corner and lots of night life and restaurants are really close.
The nights were very quiet, because most of rooms face the square or the backstreet.
There is a new wing, but the "older part" is well-kept. Just try upper floors for nicer views or the newer area.
Hotel offers free Wi-fi, which is great, but speed could be faster and it works mainly at the lobby. There is comfortable sits and a fireplace.
Parking is spacious, inside the building and an elevator takes you inside the building. It is expensive as any hotel in Quebec ($Can 20.00/night!)
An interesting machine serves you wine at the lobby. You buy a card ($25) and chose from 7 to 8 bottles of wine and pour three posible measures on your cup. At the end they pay you back for what is left (if you dare).

Room Tip: Upper floors or try the new wing. Rooms facing the square (entrance of hotel) or the backstreet (n...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Fdcaron

Bonjour, Thank you so much for taking the time to share with us your experience at the Hôtel Château Laurier Québec especially with our future customers. You have effectively summarized our services and location. We hope you will come back and visit us again soon. Johanne Caron , director of sales and marketing

Reviewed 17 January 2012

I went there with my girlfriend and we stayed for 2 nights. Great service, comfy rooms and great location. A 5 minutes walk from the Portes St-Jean, so it's perfect to spend some time in Old Quebec. We really enjoyed it, good value for the price. I went back a year after with my family. The pool is quite small, but the spa area is pretty relaxing. I would go back.

Ps. Try the Parmesan restaurant, good italian food!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mc_1990
Reviewed 6 January 2012

The price was pretty good, but there were tons of little problems that left us feeling like it was not worth it.

The Good:
-Concierge and bell staff were very helpful, friendly, attentive, and fast. The quality of those members of the staff were high above the rest of our experience - way better than this hotel deserved.
-location is very convenient to the old town and the convention center
-Our inner courtyard room was quiet
-convenience store attached to hotel is well stocked

The Bad:
-The front desk staff, the houskeeping, and the people who answer the phone were curt, rude, slow, sloppy, unhelpful, and bad.
-A/C unit shut off in the night for no apparent reason. The next morning when we asked, an engineer said "someone had turned off all the circuit breakers for our floor"
-someone else's hair was all over the room and wasn't (or couldn't) be vacuumed up from the carpet
-wallpaper wasn't installed correctly, so the guest room walls looked unfinished
-holes in the guest room wall where pictures had been hung
-The in-room safe wasn't working and it took a long time and several tries to get it working - 2 visits from security
-not enough power outlets, and the wall switch by the door did nothing
-on one day, the housekeeper forgot to leave us any towels. But took all the old ones.
-I agree with another reviewer that the rooms feel like Motel 6 - a bad Motel 6 at that.
-The bed was like a torture plank with a mattress pad over it, and the comforter scared me. The only kind of blankets we could get were those weird foamy lightweight ones. We specifically asked for some other kind of blankets (particularly cotton) and didn't get anything until we called again - and it still was another like the one we didn't want...

Overall, it wasn't horrible, just annoying and disappointing. I believe you could find another place to stay in Quebec that would be a better deal.

Room Tip: there is an inner courtyard, so rooms overlooking there would be quieter than those overlooking the...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank 6Continents2toGo

Bonjour, I want to thank you on behalf of the Hôtel Château Laurier Québec staff for taking the time to give the Trip Advisor readers and us some feedback on your stay. Your comments are very valuable to us and will allow us to improve every aspect of the establishment.I also want to personally apologize for not delivering our promise of exceeding all your guest expectations on this past stay. We often receive very positive feedback for our front desk team, we will using your testimonial in our next training session. Johanne Caron , director of sales and marketing