“Amazing! Wonderful experience.”

Hotel Chateau Laurier
Ranked #38 of 102 Hotels in Quebec City
Reviewed 23 February 2014

It was very clean and we could not be happier with our stay at Hotel Chateau Laurier. It was perfect for a family and for our plans while in the area. Going back to the area with friends this summer and already planning our next stay at this hotel.

4  Thank Amy J
Johanne C, Director of Sales at Hotel Chateau Laurier, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Bonjour Amy J,
Thank you for your wonderful review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to your return. Good news, the Internet access in now free of charge since today! Johanne Caron director of sales and marketing

There are newer reviews for Hotel Chateau Laurier

Reviewed 23 February 2014

My husband and I just returned from our stay at this hotel. I don't usually write reviews, but felt compelled to write one here because I was surprised and dismayed at what I thought I was getting and what I actually received.

We arrived at 930 to find the room we had booked was a tiny corner room with a full size bed and barely enough room for our large suitcase and 2 adults. There was a small bathroom, desk and TV which was situated at the end of the bed. The room was located on the ground floor, street level, and also right before the banquet room area.

When I booked the room I was under the assumption that I was booking a standard room through Booking.com, and since the hotel does not advertise the "economy" or "express" room on their website, I was not prepared for the room to which we were assigned. To add to that, I'm not sure that I would have paid $100/night for that room if I had known the size and condition. The hotel advertised "luxurious and comfortable beds" which couldn't be farther from the truth. Neither my husband or I got a good night's sleep in the bed-- and having 3 young children, that's half the point of going away without them! The last night we were there there was a large party with loud music happening in on of the adjacent banquet rooms, and only after we called the front desk and had them shut the fire door did we get any quiet.

On a positive note, the staff was very helpful and kind, especially the concierge. The location is good and has some great restaurants nearby. We highly recommend Cosmos for breakfast and Savini or Bello for dinner.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jacqui S
Johanne C, Director of Sales at Hotel Chateau Laurier, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Dear traveler,
Since this review was posted, we have renovated 40 rooms and proudly launched a new concept called the ULTRA room. Ultra-modern, ultra-comfortable and ultra-bright, these rooms are now on the market since June 27 2014. You may wish to experience them during your next visit to Québec City. Occupation for two people only. Johanne Caron director of sales

Reviewed 22 February 2014

This hotel is great! My entire family (there were 7 of us) stayed here for a weekend during the carnival and we were very pleased! The location was perfect for the carnival activities and the parade...and it is very short walk to old Quebec City also.

The hotel was clean, quiet and comfortable and the staff were friendly and helpful.

I LOVED the outdoor hot-tubs at the hotel which are open year round...and the sauna was fantastic too. They were great ways to relax after being at the carnival all day.

There are some great restaurants very close to the hotel as well.

All 7 of us enjoyed our stay at the Chateau Laurier and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Johanne C, Responsable commercial at Hotel Chateau Laurier, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Bonjour Globetravel,
We are happy to hear that you are satisfied with our hotel. We strive to offer great service consistently, and hope to welcome you again soon. Johanne Caron

Reviewed 18 February 2014

I chose the Hotel Chateau Laurier for its location for Winter Carnival this past weekend, and I could not have been happier with my choice. It was a terrific location for the carnival and for exploring the old city. The activities at the Plains of Abraham were just a couple of blocks away, as was the ice palace. A good portion of the Saturday night parade route went down Grande Allee, so it was easy to scope out a spot right on the rope line not all that far from the hotel.

I honestly don't know which rooms were refurbished and which were not, but I was quite pleased with mine. I had a room that did not face Grande Allee, and it was very quiet. The room and bathroom were immaculate.

All of the staff that I came in contact with were extremely friendly, starting with the bellman and the man at the reception desk when I finally rolled in at midnight my first evening. The man at the reception desk who checked me out this past Tuesday at 5:30 a.m. mentioned a couple of times how much he enjoyed his job. Staff throughout the hotel and in the restaurant could not have been nicer.

Last, and most definitely not least, a special thank you to Julie, the concierge. She was such a huge help via e-mail before I arrived, and her dining suggestions were right on. She continued to answer my questions in person with such patience. I so appreciate all that she did to make my long weekend a fun, fun trip.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank BarbJ117
Johanne C, Responsable commercial at Hotel Chateau Laurier, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Bonjour BarbJ117,
On behalf of the General Manager and the entire team of the Hôtel Château Laurier Québec, we would like to thank you for your wonderful review. Your comments are a source of motivation for us.
YOu will always find at the hotel a home away from home. We look forward to your next visit. Johanne Caron director of sales

Reviewed 7 February 2014

We made a trip to Canada for our honeymoon in February 2013 and chose the Hotel Laurier because it was rated as a 4 star hotel and was near the winter carnival. We had stayed in Ottawa and Montreal at lesser rated hotels on previous nights leading up to this. Needless to say, this was the worst of the three hotels we stayed at. The room was tiny. With the Carnival going on, it was hard to fall asleep anytime before 1am because the walls were paper thin and they overlooked the street where all the bars were where everyone was out partying all night. Our TV needed updating - especially since you'd push the volume button and instead it would change the channel (what?). And forget using the internet - they were charging $5 an hour or more (I can't recall exact, but it was absurd).

On the upside, it was clean. And it was centrally located for walking to the carnival. And there were plenty of great restaurants on the street running alongside the hotel. They had a pretty nice sauna too.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't overlook the street with all of the restaurants, and it may be quiet...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Renee M

Bonjour,

Reviewed 6 February 2014

We stayed here for Carnival because of the location. We were very concerned about the shape of the hotel due to the negative reviews. We were VERY surprised. We arrived and had no problems at all checking in. Our room was in the main part of the hotel and was on the first floor. We had no real view because the window was filled half-way with snow. Louis-Charles, on the reception desk, and Julie, Concierge, were wonderful! Full of knowledge of Quebec City and always willing to look up information for us. The room was clean and adequate. It was small by US standards but large enough for the two of us. The bathroom was spotless. The bed was very comfortable. As stated in another review, the pool was cold. We did see people using it but, being from Florida, we found it too cold for us. Being across the road from the Plains of Abraham was a big plus. We were only a block from Bonhomme's Castle and were able to walk everywhere we wanted to go in both Upper and Lower Quebec City. We thought that the breakfast at St. Hubert's, which is attached to the hotel, was expensive until we looked at prices elsewhere. The food in St. Hubert's is good, the service excellent. We will definitely return to this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Johanne C, Responsable commercial at Hotel Chateau Laurier, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Bonjour Canuckie,
On behalf of the General Manager Mr. Alain Girard and the entire team of the Hôtel Château Laurier Québec, we would like to thank you for your wonderful review. Your comments are a source of motivation for us. We are proud of our establishment. We hope you will visit us also during the summer. Johanne Caron

Reviewed 3 February 2014

We spent two nights here on our first trip to Quebec. We went for Carnaval and you can't beat the location of this hotel: the Plains of Abraham are across the street, and that's where most of the activities are. The staff were lovely -- very friendly and helpful. But the building and facilities are tired and shabby. They're in the midst of gutting some of the rooms, so maybe it'll be more appealing when that's done. The worst part was the pool: advertised as a salt water pool that's kept at 84F -- well, pack your wetsuit, because it was truly freezing. I told a staff member that it was very cold but he said it was always 84 degrees. We had little kids with us and it would have been good to have a warm pool for after a day at the Carnaval, but they were in for three or four minutes and had blue lips. Very strange. Anyway, I'll definitely go back to Carnaval, but would look for something better than the Chateau Laurier.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room -- as of this writing, they're working on some new ones.
1  Thank 71EJL
Johanne C, Responsable commercial at Hotel Chateau Laurier, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Bonjour,
Since this review was posted, we have completed the renovation of the 40 rooms and proudly launched a new concept called the ULTRA room. Ultra-modern, ultra-comfortable and ultra-bright, these rooms are on the market since June 27 2014. You may wish to experience them during your next visit to Québec City. Occupation for two people only.
Our original answer was:
Thank you very much for all your comments. The director of technical services confirmed that recently we experienced a problem with the pool water heater. The temperature is normally much more comfortable, please accept our sincere apologies, the situation as been resolved. We are currently renovating 40 rooms, these rooms are located in the original building, and they will have a complete new contemporary look as of May. We hope you will give us another chance and come back to visit us again…no wetsuit required! Johanne Caron director of sales and marketing