“perfect location”

Hotel du Vieux-Quebec
Ranked #1 of 102 Hotels in Quebec City
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 27 September 2007

The location is very good, in the centre of the city, close to all tourist attractions. There is no need to drive. The parking is a close by public parking.

It is a small hotel and facilities are minimal. Breakfast is included and hanged outside the room in a basket in early morning. The pastry are fresh and delicious.

The price is not expensive when compared to other hotels. The staff are very friendly. There are plenty restaurants around and one is attached to the hotel.

The room is quiet and I do not think it was fully occupied (may be due to the high Canadian dollar)

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family

Reviewed 17 September 2007

I recently had a delightful three-night stay at this hotel. I picked this place after reading a number of wonderful reviews and I they were right. The staff couldn't have been more gracious and helpful to this French-challenged traveler. It was particularly comforting as I was traveling alone. The location was perfect, especially in a city where all you want to do is walk. I did have a bit of a go around trying to negotiate driving to the hotel as the streets are narrow and often one way. The parking garage was nice and close about a block away and I could stop by my car if I needed to retreive something. As mentioned by others, I enjoyed the basket of goodies that arrived every morning along with a sheet with the weather forecast. The room was immaculate. Kudos to the housekeeping staff. I would mention that perhaps because I got a special rate deal through the internet, my room was near the elevator on the second floor so I could hear a little odd whoosh sound whenever it moved. I didn't mind but it might be annoying to others. The downstairs lounge had a computer with internet access, which was convenient for checking emails, etc.

I recommend this hotel; it was a great place for me as a first-time visitor to Quebec City.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled solo
2  Thank skyblue77
Reviewed 9 September 2007

Review Hotel du Vieux Quebec

My wife and I visited the Hotel du Vieux Quebec (Rue St. Jean) in beautiful downtown Quebec City from Tuesday September 4th to Friday September 7, 2007. Like many others we selected this hotel because of the terrific reviews on TA, the amazing location and the fact that we loved the idea of the basket with a yummy breakfast hanging from our door each morning.

We arrived at the train station at 9:00 pm and found a taxi for the short ($10.00) trip to the hotel. As soon as we arrived at the hotel we were introduced to a very pleasant and helpful front desk staff member (Pierrot) who quickly checked us in and was very helpful in providing us with a map and some key visitor information.

The Room:

We stayed in a king superior room on the first floor (rm 111). When I opened the door to the room I was initially disappointed that our room didn’t have the exposed brick or a full length couch that I read about in other reviews, however, once I had a chance to survey the room further I realized that the room was spotless and recently remodelled with potlights and nice artwork. The room was equipped with all the amenities one could ever need including a safe, mini-fridge, TV and DVD player, iron and ironing board and two comfy chairs with a table between them. The room was located on the side of the hotel overlooking a small rue with apartment buildings and a strained view of the main street. The window actually opened about 6” to get some fresh air if you so desired.
The washroom was large and immaculate. We had a nice soaker tub which happened to come in handy to soak those weary feet from all the walking around town!

Since we arrived so late our first night we walked the town for a while then decided to head back to the hotel to grab a movie from the hotel’s catalogue of 100+ movies. Before we turned to head back to our room Pierrot had a bag of popcorn ready for us (nice touch).
The king bed was very comfortable. Just for the record we didn’t notice, feel, or we’re disturbed by the “plastic mattress covers” mentioned in a previous post.

The next morning we awoke to find the picnic basket hanging from the hook outside our door. We we’re excited to find included in the basket orange juice, cheese, fruit cups, coffee package and a freshly baked chocolate croissant. Also included in the basket was a card with the day’s weather report on it. This was certainly a nice way to start the day as we enjoyed our breakfast while got ourselves ready for the day ahead.

The Hotel:

As I mentioned previously the hotel’s location is ideal. There is everything you need within steps of the front doors including restaurants, bakeries, great shopping, bank and convenience stores. As mentioned by a previous poster the lobby isn’t big but it didn’t matter because just steps down the hall the hotel had a nice ‘common room’ which had a tv, piano, books, games and a nice fireplace. The front desk had a binder with many of the local restaurants menu’s so you could browse through looking for something that appealed to you.

Restaurants:

We enjoyed dinner at both Portofino’s and Café de Pairs. Portofino’s is a very busy popular spot (just around the corner from the hotel) serving great Italian food. Just one piece of advise - if your looking for a nice intimate romantic dinner Portofino’s is not the place for you. If your looking for a lively, busy, loud dinner experience then you’ll love this restaurant. They also have nightly music to add to the ambience.

Café de Pairs is in a terrific location on Rue-St. Louis. We were lucky enough to be seated at a window table which made it even more romantic. We were serenaded by an accordion player who sang as well. It was wonderful feeling the September evening breeze flow through the open window while we gazed at the horse and carriages trotting by. Dinner was good (not exceptional) but overall the evening was certainly a wonderful experience.
There are so many great restaurants in Quebec City to explore this is just a small sample of what is out there.

We had a drink on patio of the hotel’s restaurant but didn’t eat there so we can’t comment on it however it was always busy each time we left or arrived back at the hotel.

I won’t get into the many activities and sights to see in Quebec City because there are just too many to list. What I can say is that if you are looking for a romantic European type get-away in North America then this is the place for you. Plenty of history, unbelievable architecture, world class dining and shopping all within the walls of this truly amazing city.

In summary we highly recommend the Hotel du Vieux Quebec as a terrific hotel to say in while visiting Quebec City.

Say hello to Pierrot and the gang for us.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
12  Thank Tanner2305
Reviewed 8 September 2007

Lovely place, nice room, and great location. BUT, in our ground floor room, there was so much noise that it was just not pleasant.
The staff were nice enough to listen to our complaints, but they would not change our room. We stayed for 3 nights, and even though people were checking out every morning, they would not consider su for a room change. So, my only assumption is that once they get someone in room #5, you're stuck since no one would want it.
I hope other rooms in this hotel are quieter, but I don't know. All I can say is, don't stay here if you want some rest!

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
5  Thank bdaniel_nyc
Reviewed 24 August 2007

A charming, completely renovated little hotel right in heart of the old city. I was concerned that it might be too noisey but we had a room right over a busy street and never heard a thing. Very convenient to everything. A well-decorated spacious room (we had a "Superior" room -- worth the extra $). The front desk staff were all very friendly and helpful. Good underground parking just across the street for $18/nt. if you arrange it through the hotel -- $24 if you don't. Would stay there again for sure. I booked by phone. The price was no different than I found anywhere online.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank RobertToronto_Canada
Reviewed 24 August 2007

We booked this hotel online. Looking at the photos of the outside of the hotel and at the hotel's web site leads you to believe this is a first class hotel. It is not. Our room and the hallways looked more like a Howard Johnson's or a Red Roof Inn. We were very disappointed. There were no real decorative elements in the entrance, the hallways or the rooms. Very bland considering the historic location. The mattress and the boxspring were even completely covered in plastic slipcovers, the kind that are only in the cheapest hotels. The bed also had a cheap polyester blanket. There is also no lobby as you enter, just double doors and a reception desk. It is very tight to even enter the hotel if someone is at the desk checking in.

The location is good, the staff was nice and the continental breakfast delivered in baskets was okay (but the room had no table to sit and eat at). Bottom line is that this is a lower class hotel that was more expensive than the gorgeous hotel we stayed at in Old Montreal. There are much nicer boutique hotels in Quebec to stay at.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
5  Thank voyagerfromPA
Reviewed 16 August 2007

This hotel, located in the Vieux Quebec, the historic district of Quebec, is a wonderful stay. I had researched the area online and read the hotel website before calling the hotel directly to make my reservations. If you make the reservation with them, either by website or telephone, you get the added bonus of a continental breakfast every morning.

We drove from The Forks, ME on the Old Canada Scenic Highway directly to Quebec City with no problems (and recommend the drive highly); the border crossing was quite pleasant and took less than 15 minutes. Driving into Quebec City itself is an adventure because of the rather convoluted nature of the streets. I would recommend a GPS unit; it helped us a lot.

The hotel itself has no parking, but you can park in the City Hall directly across the street. Be sure you get a ticket upon entering the garage, since the hotel will give you a voucher to present to the attendant whenever you leave; the price tacked onto your bill when you leave is better than the City Hall price. The only big adventure is lugging your luggage to the hotel; the hill is quite steep.

Checking in at the hotel was very easy and the front desk staff--who speak English with a delightful accent--were very helpful and obviously knew their stuff about helping tourists, particularly Anglophones, about the town. The website had mentioned AAA/CAA memberships, but not specified any discount; our front desk person made sure I knew that we got a discount by presenting our AAA card.

Our room was quite well furnished and roomy. The view from our room, on the third floor, wasn't exactly scintillating--an alley and an old church--but was fine. The room has a good sized bathroom with a good supply of soaps and there is a nice "sitting room" (sort of) with a comfortable couch and table. There is also a desk and complimentary Internet service is excellent. There is a built-in armoire for storage, but no iron or ironing board, which would have been nice to have for our five-night stay. The only real complaint we had concerned the beds and pillows, which seem to have plastic under the sheeting, which makes for a bit of a disconcerting crinkle every time you move around.

There is ice and vending machines on the lobby only, though they are easy to get to. The lobby also has a large common room with books (some in English), games and an Internet connection. A nice touch and a number of quests took advantage of it.

One of the really charming things about the hotel is the complimentary breakfast, delivered each morning in wicker baskets. It consists of croissants or rolls from a local bakery/restaurant just down the street, jam, butter, fruit (applesauce or fruit cocktail), orange juice and cheese. There is also a coffee maker in the room (about enough for a couple of cups; if you want more, you'll have to pay $2.50 CD at the desk). Our minor complaint was not having a microwave in the room to warm up the croissants (which would probably drive a native crazy, but they sometimes came a little on the cold side and could have used the warming).

There is a bank across the street with an ATM and a currency exchange desk offering better rates than the commercial currency exchanges around the Vieux Quebec.

This hotel is well within easy walking distance of most of the tourist attractions of the Old City and has a pretty good selection of shopping and eating choices in the area, all the way from Chez Ashtons (sort of like a Canadian McDonalds, but with "poutine", the local junk food--fries, cheese curds and gravy--try it at least once) to a real McDonalds (very nice by US standards), low-end and high end Quebec food.

All in all, our stay at this property was one of the best we've had anywhere and we'd highly recommend it to anyone going to Quebec.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family