“Great location, service and room!”

Hotel du Vieux-Quebec
Ranked #1 of 100 Hotels in Quebec City
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 3 February 2012

I was nervous about traveling with my 3 month old baby (and perhaps disturbing other people) but we had a great time and we couldn't hear anything from any other room (so I believe we didn't bother anyone).

We chose to spend the extra money to get the King superior room with a fireplace and it was worth every cent!!! The room as clean, spacious and comfortable. The staff was also very nice and helpful. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,703)

Reviewed 1 February 2012

It was an absolutely delightful stay at the hotel. There was a large group of students staying there but I never heard them from my 2nd floor room. I love the fireplace in the lounge (which is much like a comfortable living room complete with TV and board games), and I especially loved the complimentary movie/DVD selection and popcorn. It really made it feel cozy! Definitely a fun perk when it's 0 degrees outside on a slow Sunday night.

I also very much appreciated the accommodations and service with regard to my late arrival and taking my room request into consideration (I'd asked for one of the renovated rooms, and something quiet...not sure if they've all been renovated or not at this point, but my room was lovely!). Basic rooms are modest in size; larger than typical European rooms but a bit smaller than traditional U.S. rooms. They're plenty big as far as I'm concerned though - an armoire to hang clothes and three good-sized drawers, a desk, and a separate luggage rack if you just want to live out of the suitcase. A mat at the door can let your snow boots dry out, keeping you from dripping water all over the room - a thoughtful touch. A mini-fridge kept my leftover orange juice from the breakfast basket cold. No tub, but nice shower with good water pressure and consistent hot water. The bed was very comfortable; sheets were clean and fresh.

Hotel staff was very pleasant, patient, and knowledgeable of some things but weren't as sure about non-tourist cafe and bar suggestions. Do some research before you go. I went during the Winter Carnavale, and they did know about that and also sold the polar bear charm you need to gain access to the park, with no 'convenience fee' surcharge, which was nice! All staff I encountered spoke fluent French and English, and were equally as helpful in both!

Maid/cleaning staff also respected the "Do not disturb" signs...a seemingly obvious note, but I can't tell you how many times I've been in a hotel where they still knock and try to open the door. Although I didn't have a car, I overheard the staff mention there is no charge for parking (at least at this time of year...another thing to check before you go). Internet service is free wi-fi; they'll give you an access code at check-in. I had no problems surfing the web in my room.

Truly, no complaints about anything at all. I got a pretty good deal on the room, and imagine I would still be content if I'd paid more. It's quaint, comfortable, clean, and in the absolute center of Old Quebec - the old part of the city within the wall. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: I'd requested a quiet room, and they gave me one that was away from the elevators with a window...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 January 2012

We stayed at the hotel for 4 nights in January. The location is great -- within walking distance of everything that is wonderful in Vieux-Québec. The hotel is modern, but in an historic setting. The room was clean and comfortable. I was impressed by the bathroom layout -- so many bathrooms seems haphazardly designed, but this one was very convenient. Having the basket with a continental breakfast on the door every morning at 8AM is superb. Enjoy a leisurely breakfast in your room before heading out for the day. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful with information, directions, and suggestions. On top of it all, the hotel uses many green practices and is improving every year. One of the best hotel stays I've had.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Corniste
Reviewed 23 January 2012

Probably the best hotel ive stayed at. The staff was great and helped with wtv we needed. The room was small however it was clean and very comfortable to stay in. Defintly recommend it if you plan on staying in old quebec.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed 19 January 2012

Perfect location. Helpful staff. Room was comfortable, modern and clean. Standard room is smaller but was upgraded to Deluxe by booking on website. Highly recommend!

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed 19 January 2012

We stayed at L'Hotel du Vieux-Quebec for the weekend following a ski trip to Mt. Ste. Anne. We were pleased with the location of this cute, boutique hotel. Parking is a bit of a hike when the sidewalks are snowy so unload at hotel and then park. We stayed on the ground level in a studio room which we were hesitant about at first but it ended up being great because we were right across from the library where we could sit by the fire and have a drink. Room was small/cozy, but very clean and modern. Bathroom was small, but very clean with high end finishes. Staff was extremely helpful. One night we were really tired from exploring the city during the day. It was a nice surprise to be able to pick a movie for free from their selection and the bowl of popcorn was a nice treat. We loved the fresh croissants and perserves that were left hanging in a cute basket on our door each morning! When I go to Quecbec City next I will stay here in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 January 2012

This is a great boutique hotel with friendly staff that all seem to be happy, which is nice to see on vacation. There is lounge with access to computers. The manager Daniel was very helpful in suggesting restaurants - Saint Amour :) It was very cold, so we went back to our room after dinner and spent the evening watching 2 films and enjoying the fireplace in our room. We were told that all the beds and pillows in the hotel were just upgraded and we thought the bed was fabulous. So good that we are going to change our mattress at home. As mentioned in other reviews there is a nice large TV. The bathroom is small but nicely done with a rain shower and soaker tub. The view from our window was of the metal roofs across the street, not fabulous but you got a sense of being in Old Quebec. We booked the special they had on the King Superior room with fireplace for $168 Canadian. It included parking, movies and a breakfast basket with croissant and fruit (not a hot meal but considering there was no extra charge or at least it was a hidden charge, I think it was a nice touch). The room had an espresso coffee machine which makes great coffee to enjoy with the croissants in the morning. We compared the price to other hotel specials around town but could find none with similar location and reviews that included as much. Our first choice was the Fairmont as we are members and like to gather the points but the closest we could find was $204 with no parking ($32 with valet at the Fairmont and $14 if you go to the City hall parking) and no breakfast ($25 each at the Fairmont), no fireplace and movies are $14. Hotel Vieux Quebec is about a 5-10 minute walk from the Chateau so we walked up there to have a drink in the bar that overlooks the St. Lawrence River. For the dates we were in Quebec we felt that we got a good price. We will be back

Room Tip: The special they have on their King Superior with fireplace including parking, breakfast and movies
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple