“Simply Amazing!!”

Hotel du Vieux-Quebec
Ranked #1 of 100 Hotels in Quebec City
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 15 March 2013

For Easter 2012 my friend and I decided to take a road trip to Quebec City. We had no plans, no hotel, no idea where we were going. We arrived in Old Quebec, parked at City Hall, grabbed our bags and literally walked into the first hotel that we saw which so happened to be this little slice of heaven!! The staff were all so kind, spoke great English and were extremely helpful sharing their ideas on hot night spots and restaurants for my friend and I. The room that we stayed in was a room with one queen bed, it was quaint, very clean, had a great view of the street, the comfiest bed ever and the fluffiest pillows! The location of L'Hotel du Vieux-Quebec is perfectly central. It's at the bottom of the City so BE PREPARED TO WALK UP A LOT OF HILLS - Your calves will get a great work out! On top of all of that, we received breakfast in the basket which was so exciting and the pastries were so yummy! I had never been to Quebec City prior to this weekend away but I fell in love with the city and this hotel! I loved it so much that I have decided to continue my Easter tradition and have planned a 3 night stay at L'Hotel du Vieux-Quebec for Easter 2013 but this time I'm road tripping with my fiance. He has never been to Old Quebec before so he's just as excited as I am. Hopefully my little piece of heaven lives up to the amazing service and experience I had last year!! I am so excited to be going back in just a couple of weeks!! Don't pass up the opportunity to stay here!!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,727)

Reviewed 12 March 2013

We just got back from four nights and really enjoyed our stay. I thought the price was very reasonable. Beds were comfortable and the rooms was quiet. I like that you don't feel like they are trying to always trying to squeeze a few more dollars from you. Breakfast basket was complimentary as are the movies. We went skiing 2 days at Le Massif which was less than one hour from the hotel. Location is excellent.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank michaelnorbert
Reviewed 10 March 2013

Repeat stay? Absolutely!! What's remarkable about this is that I'm a hotel loyalty program kind of gal, and there's a pretty nice Marriott Courtyard just up the street, as well as a Hilton not far away. We've stayed at both, twice, and they're fine. But there is just something so utterly charming and Quebec about this hotel, that I am more than willing to forsake some points to stay here. For one thing, the location makes it very easy to walk around, down to the lower village, even outside the old city walls to some of the cool new vital neighborhoods. We come to Quebec to get a quick dose of Europe so walking around is important. And then there's the staff. As mentioned by many others, the people who work here, at the desk and beyond, are genuine and fun. And let's not forget the breakfast basket. The best thing EVER. I feel like a little kid on Christmas morning, waiting for that subtle little sound that means that someone has hung the basket on the hook on the door. Then, I get to bring it in and lay it on the bed and open it up....my husband lets me do this because I'm just too excited about it...and see what pastries are in there that day. And these are some darn good pastries from Paillard down the street, plus yogurt, juice, cheese and fruit. Ah, perfect.
We just got back from Paris so we'll be needing a little pastry fix.
Nitty gritty: rooms are nice and super clean, standards smallish but cozy and nice if you like your partner, and bathrooms are very clean; beds are firm, very comfortable. I can't speak to how quiet, or not, rooms would be in the summer since we only go to Quebec in the magical winter season and believe me, the windows are shut!
If you're picky about soap, consider bringing your own. This is a very green hotel and they use soap and shampoo dispensers rather than offer individual bottles; this is laudable and I support them, but I happen to not love the pine-y scent of the products. To each their own.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AnnieLovesFrance
Reviewed 8 March 2013

Stayed for two nights in March during school break -- two adults and two teens. Took Superior 2 Queen room and space and set up were ideal -- lots of room and even a bit of privacy as beds placed at opposite ends with TV for each. Young, dynamic, bilingual staff who take obvious pride in looking after the guests.Breakfast basket full of fresh pastries (from Paillard), fruits and juices was delicious; the kids loved the DVDs, hot chocolate, and popcorn that was provided free of charge. No pool, no gym in this boutique hotel -- but you can get a great workout just exploring the city.
Couple recommendations: rooms at back of hotel are probably quieter than those facing St-Jean; parking provided at $16/day in public lot -- however, clearance is low if you have high vehicle or like us, ski-rack on top; other public parking right around corner at Hotel Dieu hospital for $18/day can accommodate larger vehicles.
HVQ is one of the best hotels we have stayed in for a family get-away; you can't get a better location for exploring the hills and streets of old Quebec, with dozens of great restaurants, pubs, and shops conveniently located within short walking distance.

Room Tip: Get a room at back of hotel -- will probably be quieter, as St Jean can be a busy street. Ours had t...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank nestolys
Reviewed 2 March 2013

We spent one night here on our drive up to the Gaspe Peninsula. We were quite impressed with the quality of the room as well as the location. We were in room 311. This is on the top floor at the top of the building. The beds were comfortable and they had firm pillows which is what I like. The staff was friendly and helpful. We passed on the option of the breakfast basket because the was a Tim Horton's right around the corner! Although we were only transiting through Quebec City this time, we will be back and this is where we will stay.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kurt S
Reviewed 25 February 2013

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this place yet. This was the centerpiece of our memorable Quebec City "spring break" (that is, we went in early April, but it was most decidedly NOT spring-like in Quebec City yet. It's quite chilly and rainy there this time of the year!), which was so lovely that even 4 years later I can get lost in daydreaming about possibly the most charming city in all of America (including north and south).

What made this place special was that in addition to the cozy rooms, the incredible library, and the cuter-than-cute breakfast basket, they offered the kind of warm, small-town service that's hard to find in big cities. We ordered (their free) popcorn service one night, hoping to catch a Woody Allen flick from their excellent DVD library. When we found that our DVD player didn't work, the front desk let us "sneak into" the empty room next door to play the movie, along with a sly smile and a red bowl of freshly popped popcorn. Loved that.

Also, this is 2009 prices, but we paid a mere $60 dollars per night. CANNOT beat that!!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 February 2013

My wife and I stayed three nights, 14-17 Feb 2013 and think we picked the best hotel (for us, at least) in Quebec. LHVQ is near the southern edge of the old city wall and within comfortable walking distance of most of what we wanted to see (essentially all of the old town).

For whatever reason, I was under the impression that we were staying in an old, colonial-era building, so I was a bit disappointed when I first arrived. The building itself is newish and pretty modern inside. The historical description in the hotel book indicated that the building had, in fact, been there quite a while, but that it had been burnt out in a fire in the late 1980s or early 90s. There's no sign of a fire now, and instead the interior is very pleasently decorated.

Our room (305?) on the third floor had a king sized bed and a fold-down (double?) bed that we didn't need or use. Although the room looked a little sparse at first, we discovered it to be very comfortable. The bed was firm, but soft on top, with viery nice linens. Nice, big HDTV hooked up to cable (some English, some French language channels) if that's important to you. A very nice touch was the enclosed fireplace. I usually dislike gas fireplaces (because they're usually "just for show"), but this one was nice -both a nice "show" and gave off some significant warmth (not so much that you couldn't keep it on, but enough that you'd want to crack the windows after a couple of hours). The log/flame appearance was also very nice.

The breakfast basket was well worth the raving that everyone else has given it -- very good and convenient.

We watched DVDs the nights we stayed in or got back early enough. Although the popcorn provided was microwave popcorn (which I usually dislike), it was really pretty good, and a nice touch. Pretty good selection of DVDs as well. The (comfortable) lounge area on the first floor also had some good books, nice family-type games, and a good collection of local menus (newspapers, too).

The front desk was uniformly very helpful and friendly - made us dinner reservations, called cabs, made cookies & popcorn with movies. Many thanks to all of them.

The location was really nice - we're only average walkers, but didn't have difficulty reaching any old town locations on foot.

Once I got over the initial surprise of not staying in an 'old' building, the hotel really grew on me. Unlike most hotels, I was almost sorry to check out. It was that nice. We're planning a return trip with the larger family soon, and plan to return here. Even after touring the city and seeing most of the alternative hotels we'd considered, I don't think we could have done any better.

Room Tip: Third floor was extremely quiet - we were on the 'alley' side.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple