“Great weekend with the wife”

Hotel du Vieux-Quebec
Ranked #1 of 102 Hotels in Quebec City
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Courtice, Canada
“Great weekend with the wife”
Reviewed 17 March 2013

Simply one of the nicest hotel experiences I've ever had. The staff and the facilities are amazing and the location is perfect for walking the town. We were there between Christmas and New years of 2012. We had a suite with the gas fireplace, which was very nice to come back to after a day out in the cold. The breakfast baskets are surprisingly great, and strongly recommended; these must be being provided at cost because the quality is there for the $5.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 15 March 2013

For Easter 2012 my friend and I decided to take a road trip to Quebec City. We had no plans, no hotel, no idea where we were going. We arrived in Old Quebec, parked at City Hall, grabbed our bags and literally walked into the first hotel that we saw which so happened to be this little slice of heaven!! The staff were all so kind, spoke great English and were extremely helpful sharing their ideas on hot night spots and restaurants for my friend and I. The room that we stayed in was a room with one queen bed, it was quaint, very clean, had a great view of the street, the comfiest bed ever and the fluffiest pillows! The location of L'Hotel du Vieux-Quebec is perfectly central. It's at the bottom of the City so BE PREPARED TO WALK UP A LOT OF HILLS - Your calves will get a great work out! On top of all of that, we received breakfast in the basket which was so exciting and the pastries were so yummy! I had never been to Quebec City prior to this weekend away but I fell in love with the city and this hotel! I loved it so much that I have decided to continue my Easter tradition and have planned a 3 night stay at L'Hotel du Vieux-Quebec for Easter 2013 but this time I'm road tripping with my fiance. He has never been to Old Quebec before so he's just as excited as I am. Hopefully my little piece of heaven lives up to the amazing service and experience I had last year!! I am so excited to be going back in just a couple of weeks!! Don't pass up the opportunity to stay here!!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
ottawa
Reviewed 12 March 2013

We just got back from four nights and really enjoyed our stay. I thought the price was very reasonable. Beds were comfortable and the rooms was quiet. I like that you don't feel like they are trying to always trying to squeeze a few more dollars from you. Breakfast basket was complimentary as are the movies. We went skiing 2 days at Le Massif which was less than one hour from the hotel. Location is excellent.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank michaelnorbert
Southern Maine
Reviewed 10 March 2013

Repeat stay? Absolutely!! What's remarkable about this is that I'm a hotel loyalty program kind of gal, and there's a pretty nice Marriott Courtyard just up the street, as well as a Hilton not far away. We've stayed at both, twice, and they're fine. But there is just something so utterly charming and Quebec about this hotel, that I am more than willing to forsake some points to stay here. For one thing, the location makes it very easy to walk around, down to the lower village, even outside the old city walls to some of the cool new vital neighborhoods. We come to Quebec to get a quick dose of Europe so walking around is important. And then there's the staff. As mentioned by many others, the people who work here, at the desk and beyond, are genuine and fun. And let's not forget the breakfast basket. The best thing EVER. I feel like a little kid on Christmas morning, waiting for that subtle little sound that means that someone has hung the basket on the hook on the door. Then, I get to bring it in and lay it on the bed and open it up....my husband lets me do this because I'm just too excited about it...and see what pastries are in there that day. And these are some darn good pastries from Paillard down the street, plus yogurt, juice, cheese and fruit. Ah, perfect.
We just got back from Paris so we'll be needing a little pastry fix.
Nitty gritty: rooms are nice and super clean, standards smallish but cozy and nice if you like your partner, and bathrooms are very clean; beds are firm, very comfortable. I can't speak to how quiet, or not, rooms would be in the summer since we only go to Quebec in the magical winter season and believe me, the windows are shut!
If you're picky about soap, consider bringing your own. This is a very green hotel and they use soap and shampoo dispensers rather than offer individual bottles; this is laudable and I support them, but I happen to not love the pine-y scent of the products. To each their own.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AnnieLovesFrance
Montreal
Reviewed 8 March 2013

Stayed for two nights in March during school break -- two adults and two teens. Took Superior 2 Queen room and space and set up were ideal -- lots of room and even a bit of privacy as beds placed at opposite ends with TV for each. Young, dynamic, bilingual staff who take obvious pride in looking after the guests.Breakfast basket full of fresh pastries (from Paillard), fruits and juices was delicious; the kids loved the DVDs, hot chocolate, and popcorn that was provided free of charge. No pool, no gym in this boutique hotel -- but you can get a great workout just exploring the city.
Couple recommendations: rooms at back of hotel are probably quieter than those facing St-Jean; parking provided at $16/day in public lot -- however, clearance is low if you have high vehicle or like us, ski-rack on top; other public parking right around corner at Hotel Dieu hospital for $18/day can accommodate larger vehicles.
HVQ is one of the best hotels we have stayed in for a family get-away; you can't get a better location for exploring the hills and streets of old Quebec, with dozens of great restaurants, pubs, and shops conveniently located within short walking distance.

Room Tip: Get a room at back of hotel -- will probably be quieter, as St Jean can be a busy street. Ours had t...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank nestolys
Ivoryton, Connecticut
Reviewed 2 March 2013

We spent one night here on our drive up to the Gaspe Peninsula. We were quite impressed with the quality of the room as well as the location. We were in room 311. This is on the top floor at the top of the building. The beds were comfortable and they had firm pillows which is what I like. The staff was friendly and helpful. We passed on the option of the breakfast basket because the was a Tim Horton's right around the corner! Although we were only transiting through Quebec City this time, we will be back and this is where we will stay.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kurt S
Bordentown, New Jersey
Reviewed 25 February 2013

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this place yet. This was the centerpiece of our memorable Quebec City "spring break" (that is, we went in early April, but it was most decidedly NOT spring-like in Quebec City yet. It's quite chilly and rainy there this time of the year!), which was so lovely that even 4 years later I can get lost in daydreaming about possibly the most charming city in all of America (including north and south).

What made this place special was that in addition to the cozy rooms, the incredible library, and the cuter-than-cute breakfast basket, they offered the kind of warm, small-town service that's hard to find in big cities. We ordered (their free) popcorn service one night, hoping to catch a Woody Allen flick from their excellent DVD library. When we found that our DVD player didn't work, the front desk let us "sneak into" the empty room next door to play the movie, along with a sly smile and a red bowl of freshly popped popcorn. Loved that.

Also, this is 2009 prices, but we paid a mere $60 dollars per night. CANNOT beat that!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple