“Best customer service ever!”

Hotel du Vieux-Quebec
Ranked #1 of 102 Hotels in Quebec City
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 13 January 2014

The hotel was in a great location- so easy to get everywhere, but what really made the experience special was the excellent customer service! We stayed for three nights and the same woman helped us find places to eat, excursions to go on, and activities to keep my friend and I entertained. All of her suggestions were spot-on, especially a dog sledding adventure where we got to play with Husky puppies! When we returned at night there were maple cookies awaiting us and she made us multiple bags of popcorn as we retired to our room with one of the dvd's from their large selection. Admittedly, I was sad that we did not get a room like the one featured in the hotel ad (no brick wall in our room), but the service and location more than made up for the decor. We weren't there to spend all of our time in the room (even though it was early December and quite chilly)! I would definitely recommend and visit again on my next trip to Quebec City!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Hotel du Vieux-Quebec

Reviewed 10 January 2014

This is the hotel for you if you're looking for the warmth of a small hotel along with many of the amenities you'd find in the more expensive hotels. My husband and I stayed for six nights at the Hotel du Vieux-Quebec and I can't say enough that's good about the hotel, the staff, and the overall experience. Each and every one of the staff that we met--Pierrot, Aurelie, Peggy Ann, Vincent, and Emilie--made it their business to ensure that we had a wonderful stay. We stayed in two different rooms--one with a fireplace and one without, and both were lovely and each with a different ambiance. We were alerted (with prolific apologies) upon arrival that the fireplace in the room we booked was not working. Pierrot took it upon himself to make sure that we were more than accommodated for what was really a minor inconvenience, and the next day when the hotel was not full, he gave us a choice of rooms to move to. He filled the role of 'Ambassador du Hotel du Vieux Quebec' with perfection, even coming in on his day off to ensure that we were happy with our new room.

The staff members were glad to make recommendations for what to see and do and where to eat, and each of their recommendations was a hit. We found the breakfast delivered to our door each morning to be delightful. As the weather was very cold when we were there, it was convenient to have breakfast in the room in a relaxed environment instead of having to brave the cold first thing in the morning. The internet worked superbly and the rooms were quiet. We experienced none of the trash-truck noise that others have mentioned, which is only on Saturday mornings. We also enjoyed the community room on the first floor with its cozy furniture and fireplace. It was well-stocked with games and over 800 DVDs were available. If I were to get snowed in at a hotel in Quebec, the Hotel du Vieux-Quebec is where I'd want to be. Everything you'd want to see in Quebec City is within a few minutes' walk. The location couldn't be better.

We've stayed in many very good hotels, yet the Hotel du Vieux-Quebec was better in so many ways. I don't recall ever enjoying the hotel experience so much. Every detail has been carefully thought through to ensure that the guest's experience is the best it can be. I don't think you would find better comfort, location, ambiance, or such a professional, genuinely caring staff anywhere else in the city, especially for what I thought was a very reasonable price.

Room Tip: The different rooms have different ambiance, so if the hotel is not full, you might want to check ou...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank sdtraveler51
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We managed to reserve a romantic suite in this Hotel for Valentine’s Day. Booking was confirmed. Then 1 week later they called us to cancel the reservation because of some renovation (?!?!) It was clear that they overbooked then made an excuse to cover their mistake. Our romantic weekend is ruined. All Hotels in old Quebec are now fully booked. I’m EXTREMELY MAD and disappointed. Terrible experience

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Alex L
HotelduVieuxQuebec, Owner at Hotel du Vieux-Quebec, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2014

Hello,
I sincerely apologize for the mistake I made in cancelling your reservation. I assure you that the hotel is under major renovations. We were supposed to be closed just for the month of January however we had to extend that closure until the end of february. I did not want to have anyone stay at the hotel until we were finished and be disappointed so we cancelled any reservations that we had already. This was a month ahead of time so I thought this would give people ample time to book other hotels. For the last weekend of carnival we knew that booking other hotels might be difficult so we decided to call people and let them know what was happening and help them to book another hotel if they could or stay with us but at least be informed that our ground floor was closed. Unfortunately, we cancelled yours without giving you the choice to stay I am really sorry about that. It was my mistake. In the confusion at the time, I thought you were coming for the second weekend of Carnival, at which time the city does not sell out that early. When my mistake was brought to my attention, we called back to let you know that we would honour the reservation if you still wanted to stay with us but the damage was already done and you decided not to come.
If you ever decide to come back to Quebec please let me know. I feel badly about what happened and would like to make it up to you in the future.

Justin Keating
Owner
Hôtel du Vieux-Québec.

Reviewed 7 January 2014

My wife and I stayed at L'Hotel du Vieux-Quebec for three nights in early January 2014. The gentleman at the front desk made sure to help us get settled at our leisure and we immediately felt relaxed. The hotel is located in the heart of Old Quebec and we felt as though we could walk to all major sites from our front door. We visited during a very cold stretch in January and we were just as happy spending a lot of our down time in front of the gas fireplace playing scrabble in the common room. The hotel also offers DVDs for rent and we became hooked on "Breaking Bad".

The room was perfect for us. It contained a coffee maker, mini fridge, TV, and DVD player in addition to the usual amenities. The hotel also offered free and unlimited internet access on their network. Breakfast was placed in whicker baskets on a handle outside our door each morning, and we enjoyed taking breakfast in bed. The other amenity I found particularly useful was parking. When I travel I tend to worry these details and it was great knowing that I could leave the car in a safe garage nearby for the duration of the trip. It costs $16 per day but I was allowed to leave and re-enter whenever I needed. The common room on the first floor was almost always empty and we felt like we had the place to ourself. The hotel has plenty of board games, computers (if you don't bring your own), books, newspapers, and free tea/coffee. In short, this place thinks of all the little things which ended up making a big difference in the quality of our stay.

If location, convenience, and the amenities weren't enough the entire staff was incredibly warm and friendly. Being out of our comfort zone a bit, they immediately put us at ease and were happy to suggest sites, restaurants, and activities to help make our stay enjoyable.

I would highly recommend giving this place a try, especially if you are willing to treat yourself a bit. The few extra bucks per night (in my opinion) is well worth it!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank GregGordon428
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Aloha & Bonjour,
Because we live in Hawaii, each year my significant other and I, we travel to somewhere "cold" for a New Year's Eve celebration. (SVP, excusez ma francais tres insufficient, mais c'est important a moi a raconter cette experience tres agreable pour mes amis Canadiens et Francaises.)
Parceque nous habitons a Hawaii, ma conjointe et moi, nous voyageons chaques annees quelque part "froid" pour la festivite/fete de la Bonne Annee.

This year we went to Quebec, Canada and we stayed at the L'hotel du Vieux Quebec. Everything about this hotel is simply done well. Ce temps, nous sommes allee a la ville de Quebec, Canada et nous sommes restee a L'hotel du Vieux Quebec. Ils ont fait toutes parfaitement.

The hotel is perfectly situated to get to any part of the old city within 10-15 minutes or so on foot. The room was clean and quiet. The room rates are truly excellent compared to other hotels (We stayed in the Chateau Frontenac and also the Hilton; the Chateau by design, but the Hilton due to renovations at HdVQ and weather-related flight cancellations). We were there during an especially intense cold spell and the room stayed nice and warm. The staff is super friendly and very helpful. To top it off, the free continental breakfast was excellent (attached to the door every day in a picnic basket) and the parking was relatively cheap (16$ CAD) and less than two minutes away.

L'hotel est pres des toutes dans la centrale ville, et vous pouvez aller a pied facilement a toutes a moins de 10 ou 15 minutes. Notre chambre a ete propre et calme. Le tarif est vraiment un prix raissonable. (Nous sommes restee aussi a Chateau Frontenac, et aussi Hilton parceque il faisait tres froid et toutes les avions ne marchent pas et notre vol a decommande). Nous y' sommes restee pendant un vague de froid intense, mais la chambre est restee chaud (mais pas trop chaud). Les staff sont tres accueillant et tres serviable. (Ils ont ecoute beaucoup des mes questions avec beaucoup de patience). Et aussi, le petite dejeuner (dejeuner pour les Quebecois) a ete excellent (il a lie a notre porte chaque matin dans un panier d'osier). Le parking/stationnment n'est pas loin (peut-etre 2 minutes a pied).

The bottom line is this: I can't say enough how much we loved this place. Unfortunately, I can't say it well enough in French either. But I can't think of another hotel I've ever stayed in that had a better balance of price, comfort, proximity, staff professionalism, and amenities than this one. If you're ever thinking of going to Quebec...well, a night or two in the Chateau Frontenac is an undeniably fantastic experience and you should do it, but the Hotel du Vieux Quebec is also undeniably first class all the way! I highly recommend it!!

Ok, je resume...nous adorons ce hotel. Ils ont la symetrie parfaite--entre service, l'amenite, comfort, et proximite a des sites historiques et culturelles de la vieux ville. Restez a Chateau Frontenac bien sur pour quelque jours, mais L'hotel du Vieux Quebec, c'est aussi une bon choix...je le vous conseille!! Once again, I apologize for my poor French, but hopefully it wasn't completely incomprehensible.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Fritz59
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We stayed at this hotel in September. The rooms were nice and quiet. They included a free english tour of Old Quebec which was great and the staff was extremely helpful and friendly.

Each morning we had a picnic basket hung on our door with breakfast which was a very nice touch. This hotel is walking distance to everything you want to see in Old Quebec.

I would highly recommend staying at this location.

Room Tip: As for a room on the back side of the hotel (you will not have a view but you won't have traffic...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 January 2014

This hotel is in the perfect spot. It is situated in the heart of old quebec city and is surrounded by fantastic restaurants, shopping and tourist activities (skating, tours, etc.).

The hotel itself is wonderful. We had a room with a king size bed and faced a side street which was a little loud each morning with trucks, but it wasn't overly bothersome. Rooms have a fridge, and three different kinds of pillows which was perfect for me who likes a flat, soft pillow. The staff are so friendly and welcoming. The hotel offers DVD's you can sign out and the front desk will even make you a bowl of popcorn!

My one and only complaint was that there was no bar soap for washing your hands. The shower contains pump machines with body wash, shampoo and conditioner (not the greatest, but it's free), but nothing to wash your hands. Typically when we visit a hotel and pay as much as we did for the room, there are nice amenities, like soap and lotion, but they didn't have anything like that. We had to go up to the pharmacy to get lotion - but clearly it's not the worst problem to have. The tub was fantastic after a full day out dog sledding and snowmobiling so I appreciated that.

Because we booked through expedia, we had to pay $20 for the breakfast basket (which we did only one day out of three) but it was nice to have in the morning without leaving the room. If you book directly through the hotel, it comes free every morning.

Room Tip: Rooms with king sized beds are far larger than those rooms with queens. The rooms with queen beds a...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple