“Location is great, but...”

Hotel Chateau Bellevue
Ranked #26 of 102 Hotels in Quebec City
Akron, Ohio
“Location is great, but...”
Reviewed 5 June 2013

I had a 3 night stay here, and I rarely (if ever) write an unfavorable review of a hotel, but I feel that I need to in regards to this one.

I will start with saying that the location is excellent in regards to it being in Vieux-Quebec, and on a quiet street, with a great view of the park as well as the St. Lawrence... and its proximity to the Chateau Frontenac was great. However, that is really the only thing it has going for it.
I am not even a fussy traveller... I don't require 5-star pinache! However, the things that irked me about this place are as follows:

1) I booked this place because it said 'breakfast was included', and the price was decent considering how expensive Quebec City is, and other places were charging much more. However, when I got there, this wasn't the case! I was told breakfast wasn't included, but we could pay $1.50 a day (per person), so I didn't think that was too unreasonable, so I agreed to pay it when checking out. They gave us these cards we would give to reception in the morning during breakfast. Breakfast was actually decent. I wasn't alarmed by anything, until I got the bill when I checked out. $1.50 x 2 x 3 days... that should equal about $9. That is NOT what I was charged! I was charged $58! Apparently $1.50 pp was actually $8.50 pp! BIG DIFFERENCE! The breakfast was decent, but NOT worth $17 a day for 2 people! $3, sure... NOT $17! I would've argued this when I was there, but I needed to get to the airport on check-out, so I just paid it (although I was really angry about it -- which is why I decided to complain about it here... so others will be aware of this bait/switch!)

2) The bathroom fan was broken... meaning that if you took a shower, you couldn't breathe... and if you took a dump... the whole room stunk!

3) The bathroom was so small, that you couldn't sit on the toilet without hitting your knees against the wall. (I was in room 105).

4) The bathroom ceiling was so short, my husband smacked his head on the ceiling getting in/out of the shower (and the shower had some black crud in the tiles, too). The shower had a tub in it, but I wouldn't recommend using it, unless you have stumps for legs! The tub was as small as a standalone shower stall. There were other things falling apart in the bathroom, too... like trim falling off of the walls, and the counter was starting to come apart.

5) When people walked down the hall or up above, it sounded like a herd of elephants. I realize this is an old building, but this was ridiculous!

6) The noisy A/C. I usually don't mind white-noise from an A/C... if anything, it helps me sleep. This wasn't white-noise! This sounded like someone taking a pencil, and raking it across the vents! It was louder than the TV at the highest volume!

7) I booked a Queen bed. This was definitely a full-size. I fell out of it during my sleep.

Overall, this hotel wasn't awesome by any stretch... but Quebec City itself, is awesome place to visit! Glad I spent more time outside of the hotel, than in it! Staff was so-so overall, but there was one guy that was cool... he let me use an umbrella. Otherwise, I would suggest keep looking, unless you like getting ripped off.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank jinjifin
CEOAlainGirard, Front Office Manager at Hotel Chateau Bellevue, responded to this review, 12 June 2013
Thank you for your comment. It gives us the opportunity to clarify some elements about booking at our hotel.

Please note that we now have a special promotion just for those of you who book through our official website and by phone. Reservations made through online travel agencies or through special rates (excluding our owns) have to pay their breakfast $8,50. This continental breakfast includes more than 15 elements and is at will.

As for the choice of your room, we encourage you strongly to contact the hotel directly to make a reservation. We are here to help you to find the room that you need and offers the comfort that you are looking for. If booking via a third-party and not satisfied with the room upon arrival, please let us know. We may be able to provide you with other options: room type that could better answer your life style. (fees may apply )

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
Scotland
Reviewed 27 May 2013

My wife and I stayed in this small hotel in Quebec for three nights in May 2013. The central location was just great, not too far above the St Lawrence River, but sadly the rooms and beds were very small - not quite what was shown on the website!
The beds were a minimum double bed size, with not too much room around the bed on the three sides. All the amenities were available but just rather cramped. The bathroom was tiny and while there was everything you actually needed, there was always a dearth of really hot water from the shower. Plenty of hot water at the wash basin however. Bedlinens were changed everyday, as were the towels.
Breakfasts were buffet style and while almost everything was available, the location was rather cramped, with everyone falling over each other to get to everything. There were a number of tables but these rapidly became full on a number of occasions! But there was plenty to eat and a young lady replenished everything very regularly. One very good benefit was the constantly available hot drinks and juices throughout the day, while a wine selection was available to purchase from an automated machine in reception.
The staff however were very friendly and helpful and nothing was too much trouble, in terms of researching things on request - cinemas, taxis, routes, sights etc. they were all most courteous and friendly at all times.
The central location forgave a lot but at best the hotel could only be described as average.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Tankerman2013
Reviewed 12 March 2013

We recently stayed at your lovely hotel for one night. A wonderful experience! Felt like we had gone back in time! Lots of character ~ a nice cozy room. It was a great location. Beautiful view from our window of the park and the St. Lawrence River and within walking distance to boutiques and restaurants. Wonderful service and lots of friendly smiles. Thank you so much for your hospitality! Loved your city - will definitely return!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank DougieAnnie
Reviewed 10 March 2013 via mobile

Wow; what a gem
Recently stayed here for our 30 anniversary. This quaint boutique motel is in a perfect location within the walls of Quebec City and they have parking(17 dollars a day)
Their breakfast included crepes and homemade jams along with the usual breads and cereals and fruit ,juice , and coffee /capaccino are available all day. We were able to walk everywhere. Staff was always cheerful and pleasant. Several different room styles are available. We would definitely stay there again and will refer it to our friends.

• Stayed March 2013
5 Thank somemor
Cobourg, Ontario
Reviewed 4 March 2013

We found this little gem of a hotel on the Internet ... The location is outstanding and the staff are exceeding helpful .....

Great continental breakfast is available every morning plus coffee, tea & juice is available 24/7.

We'll certainly return the next time we take a get-a-way to Quebec City !

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RussCobourg_Ontario
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 21 February 2013

We travelled to Quebec City for a mini get away for the last weekend of Carnaval. We had a lovely stay @ Chateau Bellevue. The location is spectacular - a 2 min walk to the boardwalk along the St. Lawrence River and less than 10 mins (walking) to the Carnaval site. Staff were great to check in, get the car when needed, and for recommending a restaurant on a stormy Sunday night. We booked a few months ago and got a great price online (before the carnaval inflated prices affected us)! Breakfast is perfect to get the day started and having tea, coffee and juice available all day was a great bonus. Room was small but clean and managable for two average people with only 1 piece of luggage each + winter clothes. We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank E M
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 28 January 2013

My bf and I stayed in the hotel for a night. I purchased a deal on Living Social, and booked the Prestige room. The room was great, except water wasn't working that night. We had to change rooms to the Distinction Room which was a little bit smaller but was very similar. Since we purchased a deal on the rooms, there's really not much else they could do for us. It's understandable, but it didn't rub me the right way because regardless of how I paid for the stay, I think I should be treated the same way as other paying customers especially since I was downgraded from the Prestige room to the Distinction Room. The bathroom was very clean, and the king-sized bed was very comfortable to sleep in.
It was really cold that night (-35 C), so my bf and I decided to order in food. Their kitchen was closed, but they recommended a few places for us to order from. Breakfast is decent - just don't expect meat. I loved the juice and coffee bar which kept us hydrated and warm throughout the stay. The location is amazing - we explored one side of the city, went back to the hotel to warm up and had cappuccino. Then we went out again to explore other side of the city, and came back to the hotel to warm up and had some hot chocolate.
Check out was at 12. We wanted to explore the city more on the day of our check out, so we asked the reception to keep our stuff at the back and car for a few hours while we go out. They were nice enough to do this, to make up for the inconvenience of moving from the other room the night before. This gesture more than made up for that.
Overall I was really happy with the service and room. I think the people working in the hotel made my stay an excellent one.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CJ C
Direction_Management, Front Office Manager at Hotel Chateau Bellevue, responded to this review, 11 February 2013
Thank you for your good review. It is always a pleasure to know when people have appreciated their stay with us.

We’d like to clarify certain elements of your comment to make sure that everybody has the good information about our hotel. First of all, the second room that you moved to was also a Prestige room, but yes, it was smaller. However, since there was still a therapeutic bath, king bed and the comfortable carpet, it is still considered a Prestige room. If you had been moved to a Distinction room, you will have noticed that the room has a wood floor, a therapeutic shower and a wall in stones. Both are considered as deluxe rooms, but they are not similar at all. And, we try whenever it is possible to never downgrade a client. No matter how much a client pays, it is a client and we offer the same service to everyone and try to make their stay as great as possible.

About the mention of a kitchen, people should know that we don’t have an actual restaurant at the hotel because we do not have the facilities. We only offer the breakfast and it is a continental one, for the obvious reason that we don’t have the facilities to offer anything warm.

And, finally, about the issue with the water we are sorry. The water was frozen. We had a freezing week in Québec City with an average temperature of -35 C every night. However, most of our rooms made it through successfully.

We are pleased to hear that our team made your stay an excellent one. We hope to welcome you again when it will be warmer or less chilly.