I had a 3 night stay here, and I rarely (if ever) write an unfavorable review of a hotel, but I feel that I need to in regards to this one.
I will start with saying that the location is excellent in regards to it being in Vieux-Quebec, and on a quiet street, with a great view of the park as well as the St. Lawrence... and its proximity to the Chateau Frontenac was great. However, that is really the only thing it has going for it.
I am not even a fussy traveller... I don't require 5-star pinache! However, the things that irked me about this place are as follows:
1) I booked this place because it said 'breakfast was included', and the price was decent considering how expensive Quebec City is, and other places were charging much more. However, when I got there, this wasn't the case! I was told breakfast wasn't included, but we could pay $1.50 a day (per person), so I didn't think that was too unreasonable, so I agreed to pay it when checking out. They gave us these cards we would give to reception in the morning during breakfast. Breakfast was actually decent. I wasn't alarmed by anything, until I got the bill when I checked out. $1.50 x 2 x 3 days... that should equal about $9. That is NOT what I was charged! I was charged $58! Apparently $1.50 pp was actually $8.50 pp! BIG DIFFERENCE! The breakfast was decent, but NOT worth $17 a day for 2 people! $3, sure... NOT $17! I would've argued this when I was there, but I needed to get to the airport on check-out, so I just paid it (although I was really angry about it -- which is why I decided to complain about it here... so others will be aware of this bait/switch!)
2) The bathroom fan was broken... meaning that if you took a shower, you couldn't breathe... and if you took a dump... the whole room stunk!
3) The bathroom was so small, that you couldn't sit on the toilet without hitting your knees against the wall. (I was in room 105).
4) The bathroom ceiling was so short, my husband smacked his head on the ceiling getting in/out of the shower (and the shower had some black crud in the tiles, too). The shower had a tub in it, but I wouldn't recommend using it, unless you have stumps for legs! The tub was as small as a standalone shower stall. There were other things falling apart in the bathroom, too... like trim falling off of the walls, and the counter was starting to come apart.
5) When people walked down the hall or up above, it sounded like a herd of elephants. I realize this is an old building, but this was ridiculous!
6) The noisy A/C. I usually don't mind white-noise from an A/C... if anything, it helps me sleep. This wasn't white-noise! This sounded like someone taking a pencil, and raking it across the vents! It was louder than the TV at the highest volume!
7) I booked a Queen bed. This was definitely a full-size. I fell out of it during my sleep.
Overall, this hotel wasn't awesome by any stretch... but Quebec City itself, is awesome place to visit! Glad I spent more time outside of the hotel, than in it! Staff was so-so overall, but there was one guy that was cool... he let me use an umbrella. Otherwise, I would suggest keep looking, unless you like getting ripped off.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Chateau Bellevue: Quiet comfort assured in the heart of Old QuebecAny reason to visit Quebec City is a great opportunity to stay at Hotel Chateau Bellevue… a perfect location in the heart of Old Quebec, near Dufferin Terrace and the Citadel, with views of Parc des Gouverneurs and the mighty Saint Lawrence River. Come enjoy the historic charm of North America’s only fortified city, discover an exceptionally beautiful architectural heritage, and bask in the comfort and quality service that only a hotel like ours can provide.At Hotel Chateau Bellevue, exceptional comfort and a warm family atmosphere live in peaceful coexistence with all the excitement Old Quebec has to offer, including a front-row seat of major events. Whether you’re passing through Quebec City on business, or looking for a romantic getaway, or sharing a tour with friends, you’ll soon find Hotel Chateau Bellevue has everything it takes to make your visit a success.Hotel Chateau Bellevue also has an awesome array of tour packages for every possible interest. Fine dining, culture, outdoor activities… Whatever you’re looking for, you’ll find terrific options to enjoy and explore. Just contact our hotel staff to make your reservations for the visit of your dreams… today. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Ebookers, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Hotel Chateau Bellevue reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Chateau Bellevue Quebec City
- Chateau Bellevue Hotel
- Hotel Chateau Bellevue Quebec/Quebec City