“pleasant inn”

Ranked #61 of 102 Hotels in Quebec City
Toronto
“pleasant inn”
Reviewed 4 October 2011

Nice room with atmosphere, pleasant staff. The room was a bit musty but opening the window solved that problem. Very convenient within the old town and close to train station.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank BrifromTor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Oakville, Canada
Reviewed 6 September 2011

Recently my wife and i returned to the Marie Rollet Hotel after having a delightful and memorable stay there about 15 years ago on our wedding anniversary. They say you should never go back but we loved the location and the warmth of the then owner, so we thought we would give it a go, even though there was mixed reviews on the net. Well after staying 2 nights the place is starting to look a little tired and the creature comforts could be improved along with the staff showing a little more interest in their customers. Last time were were greeted by a lovely lady who gave us great recommendations of what to do, where to eat and even put a bottle of champagne in our room when she heard it was a special occasion. As opposed to this time, the apparent owner gave us a disinterested glance from his living area and said little when we walked out and reentered. The bath towels in the rooms were the size of tea towels, the miniature TV was from the 60's, the pillows were fraying, there was long hairs left in the bathroom and on the floor and the rooms smelt damp. Such a shame. I will not be returning and i will not be recommending this establishment to others as i had done following my first visit there.

Room Tip: Don't stay there
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mattandy
begody, Owner at Hotel Marie Rollet, responded to this review, 4 April 2012
Dear client, thank you for this review! I'm sorry than you don't like your stay with us but. I just want tell you than we have the same housekeeper since 17 years. Her name is Mona and I just have great comment about her. Every day our housekeeper clean the rooms and me (or the manager) inspects each room. I don't know what happen but I take a good note of your comments.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 21 August 2011

Price fairly costly being in the middle of peak season. No breakfast included. We did get basement room which was very hard to get suitcases down to but it was very nicely furnished and felt very European being under ground level. Memorable. Reception very nice and helpful. Entrance is narrow and very hard to get large suitcases up into a staircase. Location is very good - right in the heart of Quebec City. Fantastic to take a break and have a nap! Did have to pay extra for parking so factor that in - I think $14 a day. Overall happy.

Room Tip: If international traveller don't get a basement room.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Heidi Z
Shepherdstown, West Virginia
Reviewed 15 August 2011

We just returned from a week long trip to Montreal, Quebec, and Vermont. Marie Rollet was by far the worst place we stayed out of 5 hotels. I am used to small hotels, bed and breakfasts, and even hostels, so a small charming hotel to drop our bags and go sounded perfect and we were lured in with its "location". Niether of us are travelers who spend much time in the room anyway. When we arrived the first thing we noticed was the overwhelming smell of mildew and rotten fruit in our room. It was very pungent and we could not find the source. We were told it would be a queen bed but we were greeted with a full and there was a cigarette burn on the comforter. Even as a smoker, I was slightly disgusted. We promptly removed the comforter only to find some incredibly tattered old blankets underneath accompanied by some scratchy sheets. The head board had "something" translucent that had obviously dripped down it and dried and was not cleaned up. The wall paper was torn slightly, and the room in general was just outdated. Not having breakfast wasn't a big deal to me, but all hotels should at least have real coffee. This hotel had a coffee vending machine in its non existant lobby. The water pressure coming out of the shower felt as if you were being power washed and the lack of a plastic shower curtain, only relying on a piece of cloth made us immidiately realize why the room smelled like mildew, water went everywhere, to the point that I didn't even bother taking a shower the next day. The location was an absolute plus though, Quebec being full of steep hills, this hotel was only one street below the citadelle, and on the same level as the statue where all the street performers do their acts. That being said, if you have knee, back or heart issues, this hotel is NOT for you. The steps to even get into the "reception" area of the hotel are the steepest I've seen, and the long steps to get up to our third floor room were a workout in themselves. There was a third floor rooftop terrace that was a nice addition. I've stayed in hostels in third world countries that were kept up better than this place, and I would hope that they would do everything in their power to update and clean up Room 22.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cookbynight
begody, Owner at Hotel Marie Rollet, responded to this review, 4 April 2012
Dear client, thank you for your review! We are sorry if you don't like your stay with us! I would have appreciated than you called me about thoses problems.... when people have a problem with the stairs we try to give a room on the main floor. Also we don't have a lobby an elevator because we are in a historique house build in 1876. But Mona, our housekeeper, is with us since 17 years ans she clean each room everyday, all my guest apprciate her. The room you had was rebuil in 2010, new toilet, new carpet, new ceramic, new air conditioning system, new paint (but it's true we don't change one wall of wall paper).
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 23 June 2011

Being at a quiet corner of old Quebec is an ideal location for us who are in Quebec City for 2 nights. Room 2 that we stayed in is on the main floor, so we didn't need to lug our bags up and down steep steps. Unfortunately, though the room was clean and liveable, the noise surrounding the room was beyond our limits. U can hear water running from the room beside ours. From the cistern filling up to water gushing from the shower and tap to people hanging around the coffee machine, it stops u from having a sleep-in. Pillows are lumpy which provides no support n comfort, but the bed is comfortable.

• Stayed June 2011
Richmond Hill, Canada
Reviewed 28 May 2011

My daughter and I had a wonderful stay at Marie Rollet. The staff was very helpful with directions and suggestions. Our room was comfortable, quiet and clean. The location is fantastic! I would return to this establishment again.

• Stayed May 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed 2 October 2010

The location cannot be beat--walking distance to just about everything and staying in Old Quebec is absolutely the way to enjoy your stay. The rooms are clean, but small. It would not generally be an issue but both my husband and I were ill one day--it was a lot of time in a very small space, with no real place to sit other than the bed.

Bathrooms are clean, but towels are kind of thin. Just a nit, not a deal breaker.

Staff were friendly, and helpful but this is not a full service hotel. If you need a concierge and a lot of hand holding, skip it for a bigger establishment.

I was interested to read that people on the first floor had no noise issues. We were in room 11 (top of stairs on second floor) and heard every person come and go. It was not a big problem, but if one is a light sleeper, it could be.

All in all, the location wins hands down.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple