“Charming!”

Le Manoir d'Auteuil
Ranked #2 of 102 Hotels in Quebec City
Reviewed 26 September 2011

We stayed at this gem of a hotel for three nights. Any couple looking for a wonderful getaway should definitely book the Historic Suite with king bed. Awesome view! Lucia, the Manager, was the most professional, helpful and happy person we've encountered at a front desk in a long time. Her tips on where to eat and her directions on what to see and do were spot on. Breakfast was authentic French and fresh. Thank you to Manoir d'Auteuil for a truly memorable and romantice experience in Quebec City. We will defiinitely return.
Anna & Raymond

1  Thank Anna456_11

Reviewed 16 September 2011

I travel frequently, and sometimes I over-research where to stay and end up opting for a chain in order to avoid taking a chance. This time I hit the nail on the head.

My first time in Quebec City, my Fodor's mentioned Manoir d'Auteuil - and the fact that Edith Piaf used to stay here when she sang in the city. As a huge fan, I definitely wanted the experience of staying in the room she favored, and the incredible staff made it happen. They promptly returned email questions, answered questions over the phone, and made suggestions so that I was happily booked into their 'small room' one night, and the grande Edith Piaf suite the next two nights when it was available. Therefore, I feel I had the full experience of what the Manoir has to offer.

Firstly - it's an exceptional staff. In the two weeks I spend in the region this was where I felt most welcomed, and I really feel like I could return to a 'home away from home' whenever I wished. Lucia, Mary-Lee, Tigese, and Aaron all made sure that I felt safe, secure, and totally informed of where to go and what to see. They were all concierges in their own right and gave me specific ideas on where to find whatever, be it a good bar or good bolognese. They were all astonishingly sweet and genuinely concerned that I should have the best stay possible. I know I will see them again.

There are some stairs, and it is more of a BnB so definitely bring your own products and such, but their breakfast in the morning is perfect in it's simplicity - they bring in the very best croissants (butter AND chocolate) the city has to offer - as well as fresh fruit, yogurts, etc, with piping hot coffee and tea. You're centrally located - with a depanneur just around the corner if you need it - and a 5 minute walk to the beginning of every section of the city. It could not be easier to navigate from! The small room (room 6) was a very basic Euro room with a large bed, plenty enough for me or a couple used to smaller rooms, but having the huge Edith Piaf Suite (room 8) is to be totally transported to another era, if that era had huge flat screen TVs. Deco furnishings abound in the hotel, and her room has hand painted walls, a front window overlooking Parliament, and the most magnificent blue bathroom you have ever seen in your life. A bottle of wine and the hottest bath in the world and I was plotting how I could move in permanently. I wondered if I'd see her 'ghost' but she let me have two incredible night's sleep, so I didn't complain.

If you want something personal, an address you can envision yourself as calling 'your own in Quebec City', this is the one.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank MichelleInTheCity
Reviewed 15 September 2011

We were referred to this small hotel by the owner of a Quebec City B&B who could not accommodate us himself. It turned out to be a great place to stay. Our room was on the third floor (called the second floor in Quebec). The room was very comfortable, not huge, but enough space to spread out a little. The bathroom had obviously been recently renovated, and was clean and modern. The bed was comfortable, and we had a very nice window view of the park across the road and the city beyond. The location was fine, walking distance to all of the upper town and lower town. Once our car was parked in the underground garage a block and a half away (arranged through the hotel) we never needed it until we left for home. The staff were very helpful and friendly ... the receptionist and the young people who hosted the breakfast room in the mornings. They were full of information and suggestions about what to do and see in the old city. No hesitation in recommending this establishment to friends and family.

Room Tip: As there is no elevator service, a room on one of the lower floors is helpful. We were on the 3rd fl...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Al P
Reviewed 15 September 2011

We just returned from six wonderful days in Quebec City, and we stayed at the very nice Manoir d'Auteuil, which for us, is perfectly located. We had no problem moving from the upper town to the lower town (those who have problems climbing stairs or are in poor physical shape may want to stay in the lower town), but the location of this hotel is ideal to explore both the old city and nearby areas of the more modern Quebec City. The room we were in was huge, comfortable, and quiet. I have never seen a bathroom this big in any hotel room anywhere -- it must have been over 300 square feet. Everyone at the hotel was extremely pleasant and helpful, despite our speaking no French. We will be back.

Room Tip: if you can get room 8, do so.
Reviewed 12 September 2011

This inn was everything I had hoped it would be. Within minutes of making an online reservation, I received a call from Canada confirming my stay, which was very comforting, given that rooms were hard to come by.

The inn is in the old part of Quebec and just around the corner from many shops and restaurants, yet on a pretty quiet street. In fact, our room on the third floor was very quiet. We ended up staying through hurricane Irene, which gave us an afternoon of heavy rain and strong winds. Before the storm, we walked around the town and stocked up on wine, cheese and French bread. The room was a great place to be hole up in. It was not large, but very comfy and clean. The building is charming in its oldness/Frenchness, but you will have some stairs to climb with your luggage.

Breakfast was good, but not up to a B&B standard. The French bread served was terrific. Everyone who worked there was friendly and helpful. I tried out my new French and was not laughed at, though I probably deserved it.

Parking is additional and there is really no other way to park. The lot is only a block away and you can drop off your stuff before you head over.

Overall, this is a perfect base to explore Quebec. The warm and friendly atmosphere will make you feel at home and the cozy rooms are a great place to relax after a day of seeing the sights.

Reviewed 11 September 2011

This is a charming little hotel, in about the best location you could ask for - at the top of the hill on which Quebec City sits, on a quiet street across from a park, just a 10-minute walk over to the Chateau Frontenac, the Old Town, and most anything else you would want to see. You can leave your car in the parking lot around the corner (an extra $17/night) and forget about it for the rest of your trip. We stayed in the 'chapel room', which used to be a chapel in a previous incarnation of the building, but is now a bedroom with two beds. The beds sit in the raised area where the altar used to be. The room was comfortable, quiet, and fun (we like places with a little local character). Breakfast had everything we like to see in a continental breakfast, including some protein in the form of hard-boiled eggs and yogurt. I was impressed by the friendliness and helpfulness of the owner and staff. We would stay here again.

Reviewed 5 September 2011

We stayed here for 4 nights in July and found this hotel to be very comfortable with excellent customer service. The clerks at the front desk went out of their way to help us find restaurants; I even got itunes installed on my lap top so that we could rent movies! We could walk everywhere which was very convenient. This would probably not be the right hotel for anyone who cannot do stairs as there is no elevator. Also, the air conditioning in our room on the 3rd floor was only fair.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple