“Wonderful Stay”

Ranked #2 of 101 Hotels in Quebec City
Ottawa
“Wonderful Stay”
Reviewed 7 July 2012

My wife and I stayed in this lovely boutique hotel in July 2012 and loved it.

Although we had booked a standard room, we decided to upgrade to a suite onsite. The upgraded room was massive and incorporated a full living room, bedroom and bathroom. All of the furnishing were antique, but the room did include a modern flat-screen TV and bar fridge.

The staff were all exceptionally friendly and made us feel very welcome. They're also able to help out with suggestions on places to visit or places to eat.

The location is fantastic - but I think that's probably true of any hotel you choose in Vieux-Quebec; you can easily walk around the entire old city and everything feels close.

The room rate also included a nice continental breakfast featuring local croissants, fresh fruit salad, toast, and cereal. It was nice to keep breakfast small since we were eating out for lunch and dinner.

My only complaints are a couple of minor inconveniences. Unfortunately, the WiFi wasn't working due to some renovations (not sure why this would impact WiFi). I mention this since free WiFi was one of the reasons we selected Le Manoir d'Auteil. However, they do make a public computer available to all guests.

The room we were in does have a thermostat - but the temperature is not adjustable by guests. It's controlled centrally. I would have found the room a bit too hot for sleeping, but thankfully, the hotel did provide a fan in the closet that we used.

I'd rate Le Manoir d'Auteil 4.5/5, but Trip Advisor doesn't allow 1/2 star ratings and 4 stars seems too low for such a wonderful experience. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: They currently have two suites (though they are renovating). Room 1 is the massive suite that I wou...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
, Owner at Le Manoir d'Auteuil, responded to this review, 8 July 2012
I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and thank you for sharing your experience. I agree that this room, the executive suite, is absolutely fabulous and worth the extra expense. The Omer Marchand suite is truly an historic gem. We were in the process of updating our WIFI at the time of your stay, and we are sorry for the inconvenience. I am glad the computer we supply for client use allowed you to meet your online needs. Thanks again for taking the time to review your stay, and have a great summer with many more happy travels!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Korean first
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 5 July 2012

I will definitely stay here again - the hotel was a significant part of our great experience in Quebec City.

BUILDING AND ROOM
Boutique hotel with unique rooms, in an excellent location in the old city, on a relatively quiet street. We stayed in an enormous suite on the ground floor, with a king bed and large seating area. A large window opened with a street view - there is traffic, but nothing unreasonable. The room included a fridge and electric fireplace, and the TV took an HDMI cable so we could watch movies from our iPad. The room contained antique furniture, wood panelling and plenty of closet space. The bed was very comfortable. AC wasn't great, but a fan in the room kept it very comfortable on a hot day. Although an historic building, it is very clean.

LOCATION
The hotel is located at the fortifications, within easy walking distance of the old city attractions as well as some unique streets and sites outside the old city. Parking is $15 per day, in a lot nearby. There was always space to pull up and load/unload the car.

STAFF
The staff were all warm, welcoming, knowledgeable and helpful, including a discounted upgrade to the suite, event suggestions and restaurant references including making reservations for us. Excellent service, from everyone we dealt with.

FOOD
The breakfast is a very filling continental with fresh fruit salad, two cereals, boiled eggs, croissants, fresh breads, coffee, tea and juice.

Wi-Fi wasn't working when I was there due to renovations that were underway, but a wired computer was available. There are stairs in and out of the building, so it isn't wheelchair accessible. Neither were factors that affected my stay, but may be critical to other guests.

Room Tip: Enormous suite on the ground floor - huge separate sitting room. Great in case of a rainy/cold day o...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
BC
Reviewed 3 July 2012

I stayed there for three nights in May 2012 and booked the hotel through Bonjour Quebec on line.

The location is perfect on a nice cobbled street across from a park on the edge of Old Town a short walk away from restaurants and all of Old Town is an easy walk. From the train station it's a twenty minute walk (up a steep hill for part of it) or a short taxi ride.

There is someone at reception during the day and evening or you can use the coded door lock at night. All the staff I met were friendly and helpful.

I stayed in room 06 at the back of the hotel which is their most affordable and smallest room and was ideal for my purposes. (see photos) Although some might find the room small for two people, especially if you are larger in stature, for me as a single traveller it was just fine. It was very clean with a comfy bed, good shower, small TV, iron etc. and good wifi. The view is limited over the roof-top but that is never an issue for me.

The only additions I might have liked was a kettle for making tea and an in-room lock-box.
Also, although a vent can be opened in the window for ventilation (there is also and air conditioner) I would have liked to be able to open the window in full but the window was locked closed. (I wondered about emergency escape) Perhaps a key being available would be an option.

Breakfast is served in the basement and I did not try it because I preferred to eat out and try different restaurants with a street level patio. I know after renovations and additions to the hotel in the near future the breakfast room will be at street level in a front room, and there will be a bar.

I would stay in the hotel and same room again and recommend it to others.

Room Tip: See my photos (1 through 10) of room 06 to help you decide if it will work for your purposes.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank CANadvisor
, Owner at Le Manoir d'Auteuil, responded to this review, 4 July 2012
Bonjour and thank you for taking the time to write a review. This room is our smallest and least expensive room in the hotel, which we refer to as our economy room. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and that this product was what you were looking for. We only rent this room out through Bonjour Quebec, by phone or to walk-ins, primarily because we want to explain to the client just how small it is. (Think of a small room in Paris......similar.) This room is ideal for the individual traveller that is just looking for an economically priced room to sleep. This room is not reflective of the other rooms in the hotel. I am sorry you had difficulty opening your window. All of our windows do open, but because we are historically protected, the mechanism for opening and closing your window is a reproduction of those that existed over 100 years ago, which can be confusing since it is very different from those of today. Again, thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the travel community and for spreading the word. Being a small hotel, we do not have the advertising budgets of the big guys and we depend on the word of mouth from our wonderful and cherished clients like you. Thank You!
Ottawa
Reviewed 25 June 2012

We recently stayed here for three nights and thought the staff an location were amazing. The room was nice and clean with some nice finishings (exposed brick fireplace and these really neat interior, wooden window coverings that were mini-folding doors... hard to explain and I've never seen anything like them).

Our room was temperature controlled with a wall-mounted air conditioner. It was effective and quiet.

It was a walk up four flights of stairs to get to our room and breakfast was served in the basement, so this is not the best choice if accessibility is an issue. We didn't eat breakfast there, but I understand they buy their coffee from a local coffee house and that it is quite good.

The front door is open until 11pm, thereafter you need to enter a code into a numeric keypad to enter.

My biggest complaint was that there was no wifi on the third floor. The TV was also on the old side (my husband said it was the worst he'd ever come across in a hotel room).

All-in-all a fine hotel. We'd stay again.

Room Tip: No wifi on the third floor.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
, Owner at Le Manoir d'Auteuil, responded to this review, 27 June 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. You stayed in one of our less expensive rooms situated on the 4th floor. We try to make sure all clients realize that if stairs are an issue, this is not the best choice for you. We are a historically protected property, and cannot install an elevator. We have been having trouble with the WIFI on the top floor, and as a result, have ordered a new system. This has been a source of frustration for us as well, especially since we had upgraded the WIFI system just a few months ago. My apologies, and please know we are working on it and trying to resolve the problem. Until then, we have WIFI available throughout the lower floors, the dining hall, and a computer for your use should you need one. I am glad you enjoyed our new climate control system in the rooms. It was a state of the art improvement that is very green and energy efficient. We chose it because it is very quiet and effective. The televisions in those rooms are not flat screens, but they are newer models. All rooms, except the european rooms on the 4th floor, have a flat screen television.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 19 June 2012

I stayed here over the past several days with my wife while she attended a conference in Quebec. Le Manoir d'Auteuil was fantastic and we really enjoyed our stay. The front desk staff was extremely helpful and friendly. We had several successful dinner choice recommendations from them.

The room was nice and comfortable with a clean and clearly recently renovated bathroom. The queen bed was comfortable and soft; no complaints there. We found that the room often got a bit stuffy but the in-room air conditioning unit worked great and was very functional. It helped a lot as it was probably about an average of 27C over the duration of our stay. I used the free wifi in the room a lot and it was fine.

We had continental breakfast each day and it was good. Fresh coffee, tea, and juice, and a selection of pain du chocolat, croissant, hard boiled eggs, cereal, fruit, sliced breads (for toast), jams, and fresh fruit salad. It was a great way to start the day.

The location is fantastic and is within the fortified walls of the old city and close to the main pedestrian path of St.Jean. It is within a 5 minute walk to numerous great restaurants. The old city of Quebec is really beautiful and has an authentic old world feel but well maintained and with modern amenities. It is a giant tourist attraction after all. The city can get quite crowded with teenage tour groups around this time of the summer but we left just as they were showing up. Our room was very quiet however and we never noticed a peep from the street or the other hotel guests.

Check out was a breeze and they held on to our bags while we walked around and called a cab for us. Overall, a very good stay and no complaints at all.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
, Owner at Le Manoir d'Auteuil, responded to this review, 21 June 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, and I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us! Often times conference goers are so busy at the conference, that we do not get many opportunities to visit with them. I am glad that you and your wife were able to mix business with pleasure, and that our staff had the opportunity to get to know you both.
Burlington, Canada
Reviewed 10 June 2012

I stayed here with my infant son and was enamoured by the beautiful antique-appointed room, proximity to rue St. Jean and the convention centre, and the very personable owners and staff. Only once in 4 days did I have to manage the stroller up the front steps on my own. The owner arranged for my room to be as close to the main floor as possible and to be quiet (for peace of mind if the baby was crying or trying to fall asleep). The bathroom in my suite is bigger than my living room at home! Colleague of mine had a smaller room that had a bathroom that I would still describe as quite large. The owners are genuinely kind people, and to me this was emphasized in the way they interacted with their patrons but also with their staff. Large bathrooms (especially considering the age of the building). Could hear the clipp clop of horses out my window which faced rue d'Autouil. Details: Wifi (patchy), flatscreen tv, bar fridge, no clock, main floor computer with free internet, simple continental breakfast with good coffee, and the front desk sells Sleeman beer! No elevator. 8 steps or so to lobby. There are a few rooms on main floor (but may have a few steps leading to room and a raised bathroom). Highly recommended.

Room Tip: The suite is expensive but the bathroom is HUGE --good if your travel companion has a different bedt...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Vespagirl125
LaFollette, Owner at Le Manoir d'Auteuil, responded to this review, 13 June 2012
Thank you for your kind words. It was a pleasure meeting you and your little one. You had stayed in the historic Edith Piaf Junior Suite, and this room is well known for its historic art deco blue tiled bathroom. Our standard rooms do not boast such a spacious bathroom, but those that are not historic have all been remodelled in marble or granite, and although smaller and standard in size, they too are quite nice. Again, my sincerest gratitude for taking the time in writing a review, and I am glad we were able to help you with the stroller. Travelling with small children can be challenging with all of the extras needed. Just a note to anyone travelling with young children that would wish to stay at the Manoir d'Auteuil: We are an historic property with stairs, and not all rooms are the best choices for young ones. Having that in mind, please reserve with us directly so that we can propose the best room choice to meet your personal needs.
Brampton, Canada
Reviewed 3 June 2012

A co-worker and I stayed at this hotel after a conference. I choose this hotel because it is the winner of the 2012 award for best service. I am happy to report that this hotel deserves that award. The service was superb. The rooms are cute and have a personality all their own. The location is excellent, close to restaurants, shopping and tourist attractions. We could not have chosen a better hotel. Don't skip the breakfast. You'll regret it.
Linda (hope we got the name right), your recommendations saved our vacation. Thanks so much.

Room Tip: If stairs are not your thing pay a bit more for a room on the first or second floor.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends