“Wonderful art - deco hotel in great location”

Le Manoir d'Auteuil
Ranked #2 of 102 Hotels in Quebec City
New York
“Wonderful art - deco hotel in great location”
Reviewed 29 October 2013

LE Manoir d'Auteuil was a delightful place to stay. The staff was helpful and polite, the rooms were well decorated and comfortable, and the location was perfect. The price was reasonable - I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to experience the charm of old Quebec City in a comfortable, friendly hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 4th floor - and there's no elevator so we had to walk up. It wasn't a pro...
1 Thank Steven M
LaFollette, Owner at Le Manoir d'Auteuil, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Bonjour, and merci for taking a moment to write a review. You were in one of our european rooms, which are situated on the 4th floor. They are some of our smaller rooms, but are quite charming and a good value. If you can do the stairs, I highly recommend them.

We sincerely appreciate your support and for having chosen to stay with us. I hope we will have the chance to welcome you with us once again during your next visit to Quebec City.

Un gros merci! Linda

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Korean first
phoenix, az
Reviewed 24 October 2013

I had never been to Quebec City and took a shot in the dark in choosing this hotel. Based on the trip advisor reviews, I was expecting something unusual and maybe a little quirky. It wasn't as unusual as I had expected, but it was a great stay, all the way around. The location was easy to find and right across the street from the d'Parc Esplande. I got there far earlier than check-in time, but they happily found me a room which ended up being one of their best. As other reviewers have noted, there are stairs (no elevator) to the rooms, but I did not find this to be a problem personally. My room was on the top floor and had a great view of the Park across the street. My room had the bathroom on the same level within the room - I had read that in some rooms you had to access the bathroom via stairs. The room was comfortable, spacious and had all the usual hotel amenities. Wi-fi was easy to access. The staff were always extremely friendly and cheerful.

I was able to walk to everything during my stay. The location is just near the city walls so you can access everything within the walls easily and it is also an easy walk to anything on the other side of the walls.

I did not have an opportunity to try the breakfast, but it smelled fantastic. I would happily stay here again!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Bonjour Laura,
I want to thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. As you stated, you were expecting something unusual and maybe even quirky. I am glad you were pleasantly suprised. Because we are an heritage property, we definitely do not have a one size fits all style that you find in the usual chain brands. Each of our rooms is unique and has a personality of its own, as the manor was built in 1835. However, having said that, we do absolutely have the quality and amenities that you do find in the higher quality brand and boutique hotels.

Yes, some of our rooms do have a stairway in the room that leads to a mezzanine bathroom. They are probably my personal favorites out of our rooms, but if stairs are difficult for you, this would be important to let us know at the time of reservation so that we can assign you the best room for your needs.

We truly appreciate your support and for having chosen to stay with us. With out a doubt, the small boutique hotels in the walls of Old Quebec are some of the true historical treasures of the walled city. Un gros merci, and I hope we will have the chance to welcome you with us once again. Linda
Colares, Portugal
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We stayed 4 nights at the Le Manoir d´Auteuil at the room 35 in the 3rd floor without elevator. The hotel is inside the walls and close to the main attractions of the old city. The room was large, the bathroom reasonable with the lavatory in the room. The bed was good and the internet fast. The room was not with the windows to the front but to the rear side and perhaps this did the room a litle dark. The service and the cleaning fine. The breakfast at $7.0 was not bad thinking it was continental breakfast, but some egs, meats etc were missing to be fine to me. So the "Le Manoir d´Auteuil" is a good option to visit Quebec City.

Room Tip: Choose a Luxe room if possible with view to the front.
1 Thank elica49
LaFollette, Owner at Le Manoir d'Auteuil, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Bonjour, yes I remember you and your husband so well. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Room 35 is one of our more spacious deluxe king rooms, and yes it is situated on the back side. If we know you prefer a view side room in advance of the reservation, we will do our best to accommodate you, but we cannot guarantee it, unless you reserve a junior suite. Those rooms all have front parliament hill views. It is important to know, however, the view rooms will have some city noise which is not always best for someone who is not used to living in the city. The more we know about your preferences at the time of reservation, the better we can accommodate you!

My only regret was that I do not speak Portugese. It was a pleasure meeting you both at breakfast each morning! I hope you enjoy the rest of your stay in Canada. Un gros merci, Linda
Oregon
Reviewed 10 October 2013

We really enjoyed our stay here for four nights in Quebec City. The location is excellent, within walking distance of lots of great restaurants and sites. The room was very clean,pleasant, and quiet. The staff exemplary in terms of friendliness,courtesy, and willingness to help with anything (reservations, directions, restaurant advice, etc) Staying here made our trip extra special and romantic in this lovely city.

1 Thank PippinSophie
Bonjour, and many thanks for taking the time to write a review. We truly depend on word of mouth, so my sincerest thanks. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we were able to help in making it so special. It was an absolute pleasure, and I hope we will have the chance to serve you again in the future. Enjoy the rest of 2013, and again, un gros merci! Linda
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We stayed here for two nights after a cruise, and the only regret we have is that we weren't there longer. I had made reservations after reading the glowing reviews online, and we were not disappointed. Because we had to be off the cruise ship quite early in the morning, we showed up at about 10 a.m. on our check-in day with quite a bit of luggage. We were warmly welcomed and allowed to leave our bags until our room was made ready - and that was arranged a number of hours before usual check-in time.

We stayed in room 10, which was a spacious and airy king room, with a beautiful bathroom. Incredibly comfortable bed, and great temperature controls in the room. The entire hotel is just lovely - obviously restored with love and care to its original glory with much attention to detail. I thought the light fixtures throughout were exquisite, as well as the artwork. Location is perfect - just inside the old city walls: close enough to easily walk anywhere, but just far enough removed form the main tourist attractions to offer a taste of the quiet beauty of Quebec City.

I celebrated a "milestone" birthday during our stay, and Lucia, who was at the front desk, went out of her way to recommend and make reservations for us at an amazing French restaurant. It turned out to be the best dinner we have ever had. The care and concern shown us by all the staff at this hotel was just over the top.

Hard to say enough positive things about this gem of a hotel and its incredible staff in a beautiful and historic city. Thank you for making our stay in Quebec City memorable!

Room Tip: We loved room 10 - really comfortable king sized bed, high ceilings, and spacious.No view, but very...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
LaFollette, Owner at Le Manoir d'Auteuil, responded to this review, 7 October 2013
Thank you for your review, your support, and for choosing to stay with us for your "milestone" birthday! I am really touched. I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us and that you got the chance to meet Lucia. She truly is a gem! There are so many wonderful restaurants in Old Quebec, but we like to share our favorites with our clients. I have no doubt Lucia's recommendation was a fabulous one.

Your room, room 10, is one of our deluxe king rooms. This room is not a view room, but being on the back side, it is exceptionally quiet. The king rooms and junior suites are quite spacious compared to our european and classic queen rooms, so if you have the budget for one, I highly recommend reserving in that category. I still love the charm of the one queen rooms though. They really make me feel like I am in Europe again.

Quebec City has really become a wonderful destination spot for cruisers. Because the ships debark early in the morning, we do receive some fairly early arrivals. We will keep your bags and move them into the room when it is ready so that you can go about your day visiting Old Quebec. Two days is enough to visit Old Quebec, but just barely!

Again, I want to thank you for taking the time to write a review. Especially for a small independent property such as ours, we really depend on word of mouth. Review sites like Trip Advisor are a great tool to help in making the right choice for you. I am glad we met your expectations and I hope we will have the chance to welcome you with us once again in the future. Un gros merci, Linda
Reviewed 6 October 2013

This was our first visit to Quebec City. I chose this place to stay based on Trip Advisor reviews. I have to say that this was a very good choice. It was in walking distance of everything in old town Quebec. We had room #12, which was an upgrade to the smaller rooms. It was in the new section and was a large room with a nice bathroom. It was also pretty quiet, although the street noise does come in a bit. The staff was extremely helpful. We had the breakfast for $7 each both mornings, since there didn't seem to be any good breakfast places real close. It's basic - boiled eggs, croissants, cereal, fruit and yogurt. It would be nice if they added a meat option, even if it meant charging a couple of dollars more. They have another room, #8, which we were able to view, and it was pretty awesome, especially the bathroom. Supposedly, this is the room that Edith Piaf stayed in when she was in Quebec. I would stay at this hotel again if we choose to go back to Quebec.

Room Tip: #12 is an upgrade, but worth the price. Choose #8 if you want to pay an even higher price, but stay...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking a moment to write a review. We all really appreciate it. Your room, room 12, is one of our deluxe king rooms. The deluxe king rooms, as well as the junior suites are really quite spacious. They are not only spacious compared to our one queen rooms, but they are very spacious for Old Quebec. If you do have the budget to spend a little more, I highly recommend jumping into one of these two categories. Because the buildings within the walls are very old and historic, the rooms in the small hotels will vary in size. For the most part, however, just like in Paris, they will be very small.

If, however, you do like the charm of feeling like you are in europe, I highly recommend our classic queen and european rooms. They are smaller, but adorable.

I am also glad you enjoyed our continental breakfast. We will be extending the menu for the next season, with other choices. And, as you suggest, we will vary the breakfast price based on the menu item. For the meantime, however, we are still serving the continental breakfast with our freshly baked croissants. Don't worry though, we will still be serving our croissants on the new menu as well.

Again, my sincerest appreciation for writing a review. We really depend on word of mouth as we are such a small business and do not have the advertising budget that the big chains do. I hope we will have the chance to welcome you again in the future. Un gros merci, Linda
Waterbury, Vermont, United States
Reviewed 5 October 2013

Breakfast starts with hot Croissants right out of the oven. What else is there to say! Friendly and helpful staff. Walking distance to every tourist spot in Quebec city, and right down the road from Grand Allee just outside the Old City, where you can find great restaurants outside the tourist area. Rooms are all brand new and modern, and the beds perfect.

Bonjour Jed,
Thank you so very much for the review. I delight knowing you enjoyed the croissants in the morning. Our continental breakfast is a light one, but we really try to make it perfect by baking fresh croissants in the morning, making our own fruit salad and of course, strong coffee! Of course, the earlier you rise, the fresher the croissants. We take them out of the oven at 7:30.

Because you are from Vermont, I hope we will have the chance to welcome you once again with us here in Quebec City. It is not too far away from us! Take care, and enjoy the remaining foliage season back home. Un gros merci, Linda