“Service that went above and beyond in the Old City”

Le Manoir d'Auteuil
Ranked #2 of 102 Hotels in Quebec City
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I chose this hotel for a romantic weekend getaway, and I was very happy with my choice.
It's an old-style hotel (with a modern bathroom in our room), which added to the romantic charm. The room was small but comfortable - with a very comfortable bed. The location is excellent - inside the Old City walls, but not immediately adjacent to the areas that get crowded with tourists (these areas are a 5 minute walk away), so it felt very quiet and private.

What was truly noteworthy about my stay was the exquisite service that the proprietors and staff offered. I probably exchanged two dozen emails before my visit, soliciting recommendations for dining and making arrangements for a horse and carriage ride, and for roses in our room. I have rarely felt so cared for in a hotel before.

One thing of note is that the hotel has no elevator, and access to the rooms requires climbing stairs, so if this is a problem, then this may not be the hotel for you. But if a few steps does not daunt you, and you are looking for a charming, intimate hotel within the city walls, then I highly recommend Le Manoir d'Auteil.

Room Tip: The restaurant Le Saint-Amour is a block away, and is probably the best meal I have ever had.
2  Thank brooklynjon
LaFollette, Owner at Le Manoir d'Auteuil, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

Bonjour and thank you for taking a moment to share your experience at Le Manoir d'Auteuil with the travel community. I am thrilled that the service met your expectations and that we were able to help make your romantic getaway just that much more special. Your choice of the Saint Amour is hands down, one of the best choices for an exceptional dining experience in Quebec City. I will pass your comments along to everyone on our team, and trust me, it will make their day!

Again, thank you so much for taking the time to write such an in depth review. Being a small family run hotel, we really depend on word of mouth from clients like you. Thank you for your support, and I hope we will have the priviledge of welcoming you with us once again. After all, Brooklyn is really not too far away! Un gros merci, Linda

There are newer reviews for Le Manoir d'Auteuil

Reviewed 12 November 2013

By far, the STAFF makes this hotel score so high. The decor and furnishings are "good"...but a collection of 1900's eclection, is a bit of a letdown as somewhat ordinary, However...Clean to the last detail, thanks to staff. The negatives of decor and amenities (dated rooms, chilly bathrooms...radiator valve wide open, but cold) could stand some owner-upgrades. That said, the Auteuil will receive continuously high marks if only for it's hard working and cheerful staff. From the moment you arrive, to the attention at breakfast (nice, and above average in variety and freshness), it is the multilingual, educated and locally knowledgeable staff that brings this hotel the high marks. Your can't beat the location, within the Old City walls, walking distance to many very good and overpriced restaurants. The cost of eating out in Old City Quebec will likely keep many from repeated holidays here. That said, we'd go back to the Auteuil, if for nothing else but to enjoy the staff.

Room Tip: check out the bathrooms for heat...a 1900s hotel, a radiator that was cold...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank EclecticAero
LaFollette, Owner at Le Manoir d'Auteuil, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2013

Bonjour Monsieur Doug, Thank you so very much for the review. I will pass along your kind words to everyone on our team. Unfortunately, I did not have the chance to meet you during your stay, but I am thrilled that everyone was so attentive.

The building was built in 1835, and the art deco interior was added in the 1930's after a fire. The art deco is french art deco, and authentic, but not at all like the art deco style you see in areas like Miami. We still have the original fixtures from the house. The reason your hot water radiator was cold, is because we have abandoned the central hot water system and have replaced the old hot water central system with electric radiators and a new efficient Deluxair system that allows each client to regulate the temperature individually in their rooms. We have electric heaters in most bathrooms, but have to install a few remaining electric heaters in a few bathrooms of various rooms where needed. Clearly, you were in one of the rooms where the electric heater has not yet been installed, my apologies. We kept the old cast iron radiators in place because they are so pretty and add the the historical ambiance of the building. The entire hotel was renovated in early 2013.

I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay so much that you would stay with us again! I look forward to the chance to welcome you with us at a future date, and next time, I promise, you will have the electric heater in your bathroom! Take care, and thank you so very much for your support. Merci, Linda

Reviewed 6 November 2013

This boutique type hotel is located in a quiet and convenient location just inside the wall of old Quebec City. Secure, underground parking is located a short walk away. For us, our 3rd Floor room and bathroom were good size, comfortable and reasonably priced. The location was within walking distance of the many attractions of the old city. We found the staff were very attentive, helpful and truly wanted us to enjoy your stay. The breakfast offered downstairs was a pleasant and relaxing surprise and reasonably priced.

They appear to have recently opened a bar/ lounge area near the small lobby on the first floor. While this was very 'quiet' during our stay, it should turn into a fun spot for guests once it becomes more established.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
LaFollette, Owner at Le Manoir d'Auteuil, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2013

Bonjour, and thank you very much for your kind comments and support. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us in Old Quebec. Yes, the bar area is open for our guests to enjoy. While we are a small establishment, only 27 rooms, this space is available to all of our guest as a meet up area, or for drinks and or snacks. We have not yet begun promoting this part of the Manoir yet, but that is our goal...a fun place for our clients to retreat to.

We truly appreciate that you took the time to write a review. We truly depend on word of mouth for advertising, so thank you very much! I hope we will have the chance to welcome you here with us once again in the future. Un gros merci, et aurevoir! Linda

Reviewed 29 October 2013

LE Manoir d'Auteuil was a delightful place to stay. The staff was helpful and polite, the rooms were well decorated and comfortable, and the location was perfect. The price was reasonable - I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to experience the charm of old Quebec City in a comfortable, friendly hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 4th floor - and there's no elevator so we had to walk up. It wasn't a pro...
1  Thank Steven M
LaFollette, Owner at Le Manoir d'Auteuil, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2013

Bonjour, and merci for taking a moment to write a review. You were in one of our european rooms, which are situated on the 4th floor. They are some of our smaller rooms, but are quite charming and a good value. If you can do the stairs, I highly recommend them.

We sincerely appreciate your support and for having chosen to stay with us. I hope we will have the chance to welcome you with us once again during your next visit to Quebec City.

Un gros merci! Linda

Reviewed 24 October 2013

I had never been to Quebec City and took a shot in the dark in choosing this hotel. Based on the trip advisor reviews, I was expecting something unusual and maybe a little quirky. It wasn't as unusual as I had expected, but it was a great stay, all the way around. The location was easy to find and right across the street from the d'Parc Esplande. I got there far earlier than check-in time, but they happily found me a room which ended up being one of their best. As other reviewers have noted, there are stairs (no elevator) to the rooms, but I did not find this to be a problem personally. My room was on the top floor and had a great view of the Park across the street. My room had the bathroom on the same level within the room - I had read that in some rooms you had to access the bathroom via stairs. The room was comfortable, spacious and had all the usual hotel amenities. Wi-fi was easy to access. The staff were always extremely friendly and cheerful.

I was able to walk to everything during my stay. The location is just near the city walls so you can access everything within the walls easily and it is also an easy walk to anything on the other side of the walls.

I did not have an opportunity to try the breakfast, but it smelled fantastic. I would happily stay here again!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo

Bonjour Laura,
I want to thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. As you stated, you were expecting something unusual and maybe even quirky. I am glad you were pleasantly suprised. Because we are an heritage property, we definitely do not have a one size fits all style that you find in the usual chain brands. Each of our rooms is unique and has a personality of its own, as the manor was built in 1835. However, having said that, we do absolutely have the quality and amenities that you do find in the higher quality brand and boutique hotels.

Yes, some of our rooms do have a stairway in the room that leads to a mezzanine bathroom. They are probably my personal favorites out of our rooms, but if stairs are difficult for you, this would be important to let us know at the time of reservation so that we can assign you the best room for your needs.

We truly appreciate your support and for having chosen to stay with us. With out a doubt, the small boutique hotels in the walls of Old Quebec are some of the true historical treasures of the walled city. Un gros merci, and I hope we will have the chance to welcome you with us once again. Linda

Reviewed 13 October 2013

We stayed 4 nights at the Le Manoir d´Auteuil at the room 35 in the 3rd floor without elevator. The hotel is inside the walls and close to the main attractions of the old city. The room was large, the bathroom reasonable with the lavatory in the room. The bed was good and the internet fast. The room was not with the windows to the front but to the rear side and perhaps this did the room a litle dark. The service and the cleaning fine. The breakfast at $7.0 was not bad thinking it was continental breakfast, but some egs, meats etc were missing to be fine to me. So the "Le Manoir d´Auteuil" is a good option to visit Quebec City.

Room Tip: Choose a Luxe room if possible with view to the front.
1  Thank elica49
LaFollette, Owner at Le Manoir d'Auteuil, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Bonjour, yes I remember you and your husband so well. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Room 35 is one of our more spacious deluxe king rooms, and yes it is situated on the back side. If we know you prefer a view side room in advance of the reservation, we will do our best to accommodate you, but we cannot guarantee it, unless you reserve a junior suite. Those rooms all have front parliament hill views. It is important to know, however, the view rooms will have some city noise which is not always best for someone who is not used to living in the city. The more we know about your preferences at the time of reservation, the better we can accommodate you!

My only regret was that I do not speak Portugese. It was a pleasure meeting you both at breakfast each morning! I hope you enjoy the rest of your stay in Canada. Un gros merci, Linda

Reviewed 10 October 2013

We really enjoyed our stay here for four nights in Quebec City. The location is excellent, within walking distance of lots of great restaurants and sites. The room was very clean,pleasant, and quiet. The staff exemplary in terms of friendliness,courtesy, and willingness to help with anything (reservations, directions, restaurant advice, etc) Staying here made our trip extra special and romantic in this lovely city.

1  Thank PippinSophie

Bonjour, and many thanks for taking the time to write a review. We truly depend on word of mouth, so my sincerest thanks. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we were able to help in making it so special. It was an absolute pleasure, and I hope we will have the chance to serve you again in the future. Enjoy the rest of 2013, and again, un gros merci! Linda