“Quiet and Away From the Crowds” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Le Manoir d'Auteuil

Le Manoir d'Auteuil
Ranked #2 of 101 Hotels in Quebec City
Oakville, Canada
“Quiet and Away From the Crowds”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2009

The hotel is located within the walls and is about as far from the action as you can get without going outside them. It is a 3 minute walk to the Chateau Frontenac, so still close but quiet.

The rooms are good value and very comfortable. Well priced and clean.

The real gems are the staff. Very knowledgeable of the local area and soooo friendly. Specially Lucia and a young man who's name unfortunately escapes me at the moment.

There are a large number of restaurants in the area but ask the staff for the best as some near the hotel only adequate. The best are in the main tourist area around and below the Chateau Frontenac.

All four of us would recommend this hotel. Have fun. Great city to visit and very tourist friendly folk.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Korean first
Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2009

I am a guy from Maine with no solicitation from this motel to say good things.
This is our second stay in Old Quebec and our first stay here. We found the rooms nicely appointed and comfortable. The rooms were very clean. You can always stay at a place like the Hilton but if you're going to Old Quebec why not stay in a place that has the ambience of the location. That's what we did. Shutters on the windows for example.
There was parking for a fee but when bartering the owner lowered the price of the room by $10 and threw in parking. Breakfast was downstairs, continental but good bread, fresh cut fruit, cereal, coffee, juice and boiled eggs. Included with the room.
Go out the door down the street a dozen steps, turn the corner, and start walking down a street in Old Quebec. It's that close. A restaurant many people recommended was the Ancient Canadian, located down the street I just described. It's expensive but if you go before 5pm the menu drastically drops in price. So we're talking $29 down to $12 for a very good dinner in a very nice ancient canadian atmosphere. We had the meat pie, (Tortiare) Not like my mother used to make, different, but still very good. Even the bread was better than the other restaurants, I could have made a meal of it.
Anyway, Back to the motel. The people working there were very friendly, responsive and conversational. Oh, coffee and apples in the lobby at all times. Our rooms were $119 for one bed and $129 for our friends double beds room plus Canadian taxes of course. I include the price even though I know they will vary with the season and over time but I include them because at this time this is a very reasonable price for the area at this time.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2009

The room was clean, well appointed, the location could not have been better, the staff was friendly and knowledgeable, and the location magnificient!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
RochesterNY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2009

I almost hesitate to recommend this hotel because it is one of those jewels you want to keep for yourself.
I visit Quebec three to four times a year and am always trying new places to stay. On my most recent trip I stayed at the Manoir d'Auteuil, and I think it is the best small hotel in the city. Actually it isn't a new place for me since I stayed there nearly forty years ago, but now it is definitely tops.
The best thing about the Manoir d'Auteuil is its location. It is very centrally situated with no more than a 10 to 15 minute walk to any part of the historic district. Most importantly, it is very close to the Rue St. Jean which I think is one of the most interesting streets in the city and one rarely visited by most tourists.
Most of the rooms are quite spacious with excellent views. Even a smaller room like the one I had did not seem at all cramped. Bathrooms were clean and modern and the service was excellent. Staff is extremely friendly and fluent in English. Finally, in a city where you can end up paying a lot for a nice room, the Manoir d'Auteuil's prices were very reasonable. A continental breakfast is included though I never sampled it.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank PultneyvileFlaneur
Edmonton, AB
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2009

When we arrived we were so delighted with every aspect of the hotel, from the location, to the building and the reception. Once we got to our room ( room 7) it was such a great sense of stepping back in time, from the king sized four poster bed and period furniture to the beautiful deco tiled bathroom. The hotel is located just inside the walls of QC just above Gate St Jean and close to all of "Old Qubec". The continental breakfast was great and the staff were so helpful and pleasant. We would not hesitate to return and will be encouraging our friends to stay at Le Manoir de'Auteuil.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank trickyEdmontonAB
Ottawa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2009

We booked with this Hotel. an unknown to us. What good fortune!! We stayed one night; and returned to stay for another two nights. We left with fantastic information from Dan the owner as to where to stay, eat and see on our day voyage to Baie Ste. Paul, La Malbaie and on to whale watching. Upon our return we were delighted with the King Suite - The room is breathtaking to say the least; the bathroom is indescribable. Anne who greets you at the desk is a delight, personable, warm and gracious. The hotel location could not be any better for your sightseeing pleasure. Be sure to inquire about the "best" restaurants from either Dan or Anne, their knowledge is unendingl! Truly a wonderful experience.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Norsand
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2009

My recent stay at Le Manoir d'Auteuil was pleasant enough. I'd booked late and had taken the only room available, a small space with a tiny bathroom and a sink located in the bedroom area. Still, the room was comfortable and had a very pretty view of the Parc de l'Esplanade. The staff was warm, helpful and welcoming, while the hotel itself is perfectly located in a lovely, residential area close enough to all attractions of the city. Also, the public areas of the hotel are an Art Deco lover's dream, decorated with original fixtures and art objects.

All was well until my last morning, when a silver chain on which I was wearing a very special pendant, broke. In an instant, my pendant, a Hamsa (an amulet for luck and protection) slipped down the drain. I quickly notified the young man at reception who promised to open and check the drain before the room was prepared for the next guest. Being in a rush to catch a train, I left before finding out if this had actually happened. Back home in NYC a week later, I emailed the hotel's owner, Linda LaFollette, to follow up. She let me know the Hamsa had indeed been found and was already on its way to me. That same evening I received the envelope from Manoir d'Auteuil. It was certainly service far above and beyond, and very much appreciated. Manoir d'Auteuil is tops in my book, and I will gladly return on my next trip to beautiful Quebec City. Many thanks to Linda, Lucia, and most of all to Aaron!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo