“felt I was scammed”

Ranked #2 of 102 Hotels in Quebec City
New York
“felt I was scammed”
Reviewed 7 January 2010

I normally don’t write reviewed, but in this one case I am compelled to do so..

Several days before my arrival, I sent an email asking to please give me the best room as this was my fiancée and I anniversary and I wanted to make it really special. Next day I got a generic email saying that I got the best room that was available at the time of my booking. Fair enough. Upon checking in, I was shown to a room on the first floor which was very tiny with a stone wall and very cold. The room did not have ANY closets or cabinets to hang and store clothes for my stay, which was completely unacceptable. My fiancé and I politely expressed our dissatisfaction with the room and we were shown another room on the second floor which was a night and day difference! Huge room with high ceiling and plenty of closest space! And a unique bathroom on the higher level, reachable by narrow stairway. Also the room was much warmer and comfortable. So the email they sent me earlier was a lie and they did have better room that was not assigned to me in the first place.

A week later after my stay, when I checked my credit card statement, I was shocked to find out that there was a separate charge of $30. I called the hotel to find out what it was and they told me it was for the bottle of wine that I drank. First of all, the wine did not have any kind of price stickers or labels of any kind, it just had a bottle opener next to it and two wine glasses on the same table. Second, the wine bottle was smaller than usual and I was 100% it was complimentary as I informed the hotel that it was my fiancée and myself anniversary and it was also around new years (my last day was December 31). Not a chance, they silently charged me for the wine, which wasn’t even good in the first place, and I felt like I was scammed for $30 bucks. That just left a bad taste in my mouth, pun intended.

The breakfast was horrible. Stale muffins and croissants and boiled eggs for breakfast? You’ve got to be kidding. I thought in Quebec you can do better than that! How hard would it be to do a simple omelet with cheese and beacon to server hot breakfast to your guests?

Also, they constantly vacuum clean the hallways for hours.. very noisy if you like to take a nap during the day or like to sleep late through the morning.

Last but not least, Wi-Fi connection would constantly drop, and I know it's not a problem with my laptop as it worked perfectly fine for the next two days an another hotel.

Needless to say, I had a bad taste in my mouth, pun intended. And it’s not the extra $30 that bothers me, but the fact that I felt I was being scammed. When I called about the charge, I was told “I have to charge you and there is nothing I can do”.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank tauchenNYC
ownerofthemanoir, owner at Le Manoir d'Auteuil, responded to this review, 9 February 2010
I would like to say that we are a character property and each of our 18 rooms are different. If on arrival your room does not suite you for any reason just ask and we will do our best to accomodate you. Please keep in mind that changes will be made on availabilty and that our reservation list is constantly changing with last minute cancellations.Some rooms will have wood floors, stone walls, and art deco wall murals etc. We invite all guests to review our photo gallery on our website to get a feel for the room categories and the variety that we offer. If you are coming for a special occasion such as an anniversary, if price is not an issue, please look at the historic suites. If you are budget minded stay with the standards or even more budget minded go euoropean category. Call and ask us questions! All of our rooms have closets, 80% have 32 -42 inch plasma TV's (europeans have new standard TV's), marble bathrooms, down comforters, telephones, desks, bureaus and a staff that is available 24/7. We also put a bottle of wine that we selected from a small Vintner in France which has a booklet tied to the bottle neck that explains where the wine is from, why we chose it and that the price is- 25$. Our breakfast consists of croissants and chocolatines (..when in France!) that are deliverd each morning by the corner bakery, Paillard. We also have hard boiled eggs, cereals, yogurt, fresh baked bread also delivered by the same bakery, whole fruit basket and a fresh fruit sald made each morning. We do not have muffins. We also offer milk, orange juice, a variety of 12 teas and coffee( Smatran Mandeling) roasted for us weekly by the local roaster. We do not offer a full course breakfast such as can be found at a larger chain hotel. As always if there is anyway that we can make your stay in Quebec City better or improve your stay with us let us know. I gaurantee that we will make every effort to make your stay more enjoyable.

Thank You!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
  • Korean first
Moncton, Canada
Reviewed 12 December 2009

For our two-night stay in Quebec City, we choose the Manoir D'auteuil based on positive reviews found on TripAdvisor.

Those reviews could not have been more accurate! This small 18-room hotel is beautiful, charming and clean. Well located, within the walls of Old Quebec. Very close to most restaurants, pubs, shops, bus stops, monuments and historic buildings. Parking available behind the building at very good price.

The continental breakfast was great and the eating area was very nice.

Our room (#3) was just perfect. Very quiet, and the bed and pillows were very comfortable. The bathroom was absolutely spotless, had nice marble flooring and was actually quite large.

Kudos to the members of the staff, who were very helpful, friendly and bilingual.

We strongly recommend this hotel, and we will certainly be back!

Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed 29 November 2009

My wife and I visited Quebec Nov 25-28.to "escape" U.S. Thanksgiving crush and shopping madness. This small hotel, just inside the walls of the upper old town was sheer delight and we got a great rate on line. Staff could not be more helpful, warm and friendly and always available, even when the desk is not staffed - just pick up the phone and they were "there" in seconds. a little concern.

We travel a lot outside the US and spend little time in a hotel room except to change clothes and sleep, so we enjoyed this place, but the hotel might disappoint tourists who insist on large or chain establishment with many public rooms and other amenities ... and prices, annoyances, etc. to match. If you are accustomed to (or want to try) a "civilized" European, South American style accommodation, this place is perfect and it had necessary amenities, includes ample closet and storage, WiFi, etc. the room was large (really) and comfortable with a great mattress (a real plus). Not much view in this one, because we insisted on (and got) a large tub/shower, which happened to be in a loft area up short flight of stairs. Not as strange as it sounds and actually very nice. Available rooms with a "view" had shower only. Very satisfying buffet breakfast and off street parking each available options at small additional charge. The Chateau Frontenac and that whole luxury area is within walking distance and Rue St. Jean and all its shops are only 3 blocks away, downhill. Hotel is ultra quiet at night,and no meaningful traffic on the street.

Two possible drawbacks there is no elevator - and no safe for valuables.

We'll definitely stay here again.

montreal
Reviewed 17 November 2009

We had a great time at this beautiful establishment! We stayed in the same room as Edith Piaf! Very good breakfast (the croissants were sinful) and the staff was a-1.

Oakville, Canada
Reviewed 6 November 2009

The hotel is located within the walls and is about as far from the action as you can get without going outside them. It is a 3 minute walk to the Chateau Frontenac, so still close but quiet.

The rooms are good value and very comfortable. Well priced and clean.

The real gems are the staff. Very knowledgeable of the local area and soooo friendly. Specially Lucia and a young man who's name unfortunately escapes me at the moment.

There are a large number of restaurants in the area but ask the staff for the best as some near the hotel only adequate. The best are in the main tourist area around and below the Chateau Frontenac.

All four of us would recommend this hotel. Have fun. Great city to visit and very tourist friendly folk.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
Maine
Reviewed 21 October 2009

I am a guy from Maine with no solicitation from this motel to say good things.
This is our second stay in Old Quebec and our first stay here. We found the rooms nicely appointed and comfortable. The rooms were very clean. You can always stay at a place like the Hilton but if you're going to Old Quebec why not stay in a place that has the ambience of the location. That's what we did. Shutters on the windows for example.
There was parking for a fee but when bartering the owner lowered the price of the room by $10 and threw in parking. Breakfast was downstairs, continental but good bread, fresh cut fruit, cereal, coffee, juice and boiled eggs. Included with the room.
Go out the door down the street a dozen steps, turn the corner, and start walking down a street in Old Quebec. It's that close. A restaurant many people recommended was the Ancient Canadian, located down the street I just described. It's expensive but if you go before 5pm the menu drastically drops in price. So we're talking $29 down to $12 for a very good dinner in a very nice ancient canadian atmosphere. We had the meat pie, (Tortiare) Not like my mother used to make, different, but still very good. Even the bread was better than the other restaurants, I could have made a meal of it.
Anyway, Back to the motel. The people working there were very friendly, responsive and conversational. Oh, coffee and apples in the lobby at all times. Our rooms were $119 for one bed and $129 for our friends double beds room plus Canadian taxes of course. I include the price even though I know they will vary with the season and over time but I include them because at this time this is a very reasonable price for the area at this time.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DanGMaine
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 19 October 2009

The room was clean, well appointed, the location could not have been better, the staff was friendly and knowledgeable, and the location magnificient!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple