“In a word, enchanting”

Ranked #2 of 101 Hotels in Quebec City
Amherst, Massachusetts
“In a word, enchanting”
Reviewed 5 January 2011

This was my first trip to Quebec city and I was blown away. My Boyfriend and I went there for a romantic New Years Eve getaway. We were on a modest budget and were pleasantly surprised by the entire city and this hotel. The staff at the hotel told us were to go and what to do, and not just the tourist things we could find on our own. The bed at the hotel was so comfortable and the rooms were charming. I really felt like I was in Europe. Useful tip; call the hotel to book the room and you get a free delicious breakfast.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Korean first
Barrie, Canada
Reviewed 29 December 2010

My family and I spent a few hours going through the many hotels in old Quebec City prior to booking anything. We chose Le Manoir d'Auteuil from their website and response via email to our requests for information. We sent 8 emails to various hotels in the area. Only 5 responded and only one welcomed us with a suggestion for accomodations, Le Manoir d'Auteuil. For 3 nights, 2 rooms, less that $700!

Our rooms were perfect. My wife and I enjoyed a luxurious Queen sized bed guestroom with a fanastic view of the city and glass enclosed shower in the bathroom. The room was very European styled with real antique furnishings, not the fake stuff that looks antique. I actually fixed a loose nut on the door closure...circa 1915 I guess.

Our daughter's room was incredible. The same view of the city except 2 Queen beds. Again, very European styled. I believe the original brick wall with a fireplace was the feature of the room. The fireplace had a simple electric "woodstove" that provide beautiful effect, looked great and gave additional warmth.

The common area of the hotel is full of unique light fixtures, all circa 1910-1930 I guessed. The decor is simple and suits perfectly the 100+ year old building. Creaking floors, wide stairs, heavy doors. What a great renovation! The lobby and hallways were wonderful to walk through each time, I personally felt like I was in someones home.

The continental breakfast and service was perfect once again. Someone spoke to us and asked us how we were. We met the owner in the lobby and he provided some great advice on where to go in the city. We walked everywhere since we took the train from Toronto to Quebec as part of the vacation. Location was perfect and the friendly and helpful staff jumped at the chance to offer suggestions of where to go and what to do.

We toured most streets of the city and actually came across about 5 of the hotels we were considering. We were thankful each time except one...and the price did reflect this difference. Overall, this hotel is literally a perfect 10 on every level except one, heating. The boiler heating system seemed to have a setback. We could not control. Going to bed, we were very warm with a light blanket but at 3AM, under 2 blankets...and at 8AM, back to very warm and no blankets! The temps were ok overall so I give a 8 on this.

For reference to anyone reading this comment and considering Le Manoir d'Auteuil, I made a career in the hotel industry of over 25 years, the hard way! Disher at 18, Controller at 27 had a career opening and operating full service hotels in Canada and the US. I know what I am talking about here, I consider this an undercover inspection and my rating is credible.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
Banff National Park, Canada
Reviewed 26 November 2010

Clean, decent price, beautiful historic little building. Aron, the front desk clerk was friendly, helpful and a pleasure to deal with. Little bus that tours the old city picks you up right across the street. The hotel and the old city had a quaint, European, elegance. You get the feeling that this place has been doing things the same for 100 years and they shouldn't change a thing.

• Stayed November 2010
NH
Reviewed 18 November 2010

First, Dan, Linda and Lucia could not have been better hosts. Also, the part time telephone receptionist and all others working here were polite and helpful.
Second, our room and all other rooms we viewed were very clean and well appointed with modern fixtures, heat, and A/C. Dan is a finish carpenter and his workmanship shows throughout. Linda is a gratious as can be. Lucia, their right hand gal is from Italy and multi lingial. Both Dan and Linda graduated from Colorado College in Colorado Springs. Dan hails from Vermont and Linda from Aurora (Denver), Colorado. Obviously they are fluent in French.
Third, the breakfast is excellent (could be a bit earlier for the early birds).
Finally, the location is excellent and only a few minutes (up hill/down hill) walk from everything. Underground Parking is conveniently located within a block away with easy, convenient check-in/check-out parking. Leave your car in the garage. You can walk everywhere!.
As seasonal restaurant owners ourselves, we love to go to Canada for a few days at the end of our summer season to unwind. In this B & B you can hear the quietness. What a night's sleep! We will always call this our home when in old QC!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 14 November 2010

Le Manoir d'Auteuil is a charming hotel that is located to all the OLd Quebec CIty attractions.The rooms was beautiful,clean ,comfortable and roomy with elegant funiture.It had incredible staff friendly and helpful.The prices was affordable.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
Hilliard, Ohio
Reviewed 12 October 2010

This hotel is charming with surprisingly roomy rooms. Be warned that if you cannot do stairs well, say so. Hotel staff is kind, helpful, and professional. Breakfast was wonderful and just kept coming. It's also a bargain compared to restaurant prices in the area.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed 12 October 2010

This charming hotel has an excellent location that put me close to sites during the day and entertainment at night. My room was kind of odd... steps leading to the beds... but the room was clean and affordable. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I did not try the food or in room services. I would stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo