“Best coffee in Quebec City”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Paillard

Paillard
Ranked #1 of 24 Dessert in Quebec City
Price range: US$3 - US$7
Cuisines: French, Cafe, European, Canadian, Soups
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Child-friendly, Groups, Cheap Eats
Dining options: After-hours, Brunch, Lunch, Breakfast, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Paillard - Le Café-Boulangerie in the heart of old Quebec City. Fresh baked breads, viennoiseries, pastries, special coffees, soups, salads, gourmet sandwiches, gelato in the summer, also known for our macarons.
Atlanta, Georgia
“Best coffee in Quebec City”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I was staying at The Frontenac and asked the bellman for a coffee recommendation. He tried sending me to the hotel Starbucks but I explained that I wanted something local instead. He sent me to a little cafe down the street- La Cafe Baude I believe it was called. I ordered a cappuccino and the man proceeded to set a cup down under a machine and hit a button which did the whole thing- it was basically like one of those "cappuccino" machines you find in gas stations. I was SO upset! I literally walked outside, took one sip, and then threw the whole thing away. I walked further down the street with the intention of finding illy- which I had passed a few days before- but they were close. I was on the point of giving up, but asked a lady in a shop, and she sent me to Paillard. I had read about their cronuts in a guide book so had been wanting to go there anyways- so this was just perfect that it was right down the street. Paillard is a big, well lit bakery with plenty of seating and one display case after another of beautiful pastries. I ordered a double espresso with whipped cream and it was everything I had hoped for- by far the best coffee drink I had in Quebec. We ended up going back for breakfast our last morning. My mom had an almond crescent that was a flaky and delicate and just to die for! LOVE this place! I sure wish I had something like it near me in Atlanta- I would go there ALL THE TIME!

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank LWickiser

• Korean first
Halifax, NS, Canada
“LOVE this place - great treats and great service”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We went here twice on our recent trip - once for a mid morning treat and once for breakfast sandwiches. Both were great, but I would recommend them especially for their sweet treats - croissants, cakes, chocolates, etc... I highly recommend the almond croissant for something tasty that isn't too sweet. The croissants have great flavour. One of our breakfast sandwiches was a croissant too - delicious.

The seating isn't like a typical cafe - it is wide open. Different, but fine.

It is located on Rue Saint Jean in the heart of Vieux Quebec.

• Visited April 2014
Columbus, Ohio
“Exactly what I was looking for”
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed just around the corner in an air bnb apartment. I was a looking for some croissants for dipping into my coffee so I wouldn't have to leave the apartment the following mornings. The owners of the apartment recommend this spot. It did not disappoint. I bought 3 different croissants. The one with chocolate I admit could have had more chocolate, it came with chocolate chips inside. It was still excellent. They had fresh from the oven flatbread pizza type breads sitting out. They looked amazing but I knew I only had so much time and only one stomach to fill. Will return in the future on my next visit to Québec City.

Visited April 2014
Halifax, Canada
“Excellent value - Great place to eat!”
Reviewed 24 March 2014

The soups and sandwiches are excellent, as are the fresh baked goods (lots of French pastries). They have a couple of beers on tap and lots of inexpensive menu choices. Good spot to go with family or group, as the one on Rue Saint Jean has a couple of long table that would seat 40 people each (think large wooden cafeteria style tables). They also have approx. 6 tables for groups of 4.

Staff are very helpful and most are bilingual.
Menus are available in both French and English.

I have eaten at both locations are both are excellent, but prefer the location the location in Old Town due to location and environment.

• Visited March 2014
Northfield, Minnesota
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“love the croissant!”
Reviewed 23 March 2014

I went there for breakfast two days in a row! I love their croissant! Very nice texture! It is also a nice place to relax. I enjoyed reading newspaper and magazines there in the morning while eating my breakfast . They also have very stable wifi.

• Visited March 2014