“Clean. Affordable. Smelly. Noisy.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Le Voyageur

Hotel Le Voyageur
Ranked #52 of 119 Quebec City B&B and Inns
Burlington, VT
“Clean. Affordable. Smelly. Noisy.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2011

I went to Quebec City for the Winter Carnival. As an experienced shoestring traveler, I wanted a cheap, clean, comfortable place to sleep. My expectations weren't terribly high. For the most part, Le Voyageur filled my needs.

I arrived at 11 pm, after a 5-1/2 hour drive with a wonky GPS. The first thing I noticed about the hotel (after the sign) was the lack of parking. I figured Carnival would be a busy time, but there was literally nowhere to park. I ended up parking at the edge of the lot, hoping I wasn't on the sidewalk. Fortunately, I was able to move my car closer after I went out for dinner.

At check-in, I noticed a sign stating the “American breakfast” was $6.10. When I asked about the free continental breakfast, the man at the desk said they still offered it, and gave me 2 coupons for it. The coupons were very specific: juice, coffee, and 2 pieces of toast OR 2 muffins OR 2 croissants. I decided to try my luck at the supermarket or the Couche-Tard in the morning.

The first thing I noticed about my room was the smell. My non-smoking room smelled like it had been smoked in very recently. I chalked it up to the bar downstairs, but since Quebec has a ban on smoking in bars, I have no idea where it came from. My room was right above the bar, so I got to hear bass from downstairs as well as conversations in the hall (especially a group of loud young Anglophones) and outside. Fortunately, I'm a heavy sleeper.

The room was spacious and clean, with a fridge, table, 2 beds, some chairs, and not enough outlets. I had to hunt for place to plug in my cell phone. The bathroom was clean and spacious. The bed was stiff, but tolerable.

I only had 2 problems with the room. First, the room phone number was not posted on the phone. I ended up looking it up in the phone book. The alarm clock was part of the TV for some reason. The heating system was nearly silent, which turned out to be a bad thing.

The neighborhood is a bit run-down, though not scary. I'm used to Montreal nightlife, so went out for a bite to eat at 11:30 pm, I was surprised to find almost every local business closed. The only open stores (aside from the hotel bar) were a few clubs down the street, the local Couche-Tard (a convenience store with gas pumps), and the pizza restaurant across the street, which served cheap, soggy pizza. The hotel is a short walk from a supermarket (with no prepared foods section), a mall with a nice greengrocer, and a bunch of fast-food restaurants. The bus stop behind the Couche-Tard is a major transfer point, and downtown is a 20-minute ride.

Carnival was a lot of fun. I later learned that a free Carnival shuttle left from the park-and-ride next to the supermarket, not the bus station. Live and learn.

I would stay at Le Voyageur again. The price was right ($74/night), it was clean, and I wasn't in town to hang out in my hotel room. Next time, I'll bring earplugs and request a room away from the bar.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Miz_Giordana

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Lac-Megantic, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2011

For 55$ I guess I should've known what I was getting into. First thing you encounter when entering the hotel is a choking smell of cigarette and a bar facing you across the lobby (you can't smole in bars in Quebec so where does that rancid smell come from) I was quite incommodated by the smell, thank god my room was far away. In the corridors you get a cabbage soup smell for some odd reason... The room ''seems'' clean, though I wouldn't walk barefoot (I've been in the army, i am a nurse so I'm used to gross stuff... and I usually DO walk barefoot in hotel rooms) The room looked tired , the beds are very hard and, even if I'm from Quebec and used to cold winter, I did get very cold during the night, having to borrow the covers from the 2nd bed just to stay barely comfortable. And then there is the noise... You hear you neighbor sneezing... I was very tired when I went to sleep and usually that means I sleep like a rock (sometimes not hearing my children in the night says my hubby) but I got woken up numerous time during the night by neighbor noises (toilets flushing, conversations, outside car noises)
I would not come back here again, rather pay more money and go to hotel Jaro where you know what you get... oh, and the free breakfast is limited to 2 toasts or 2 muffins and a coffee and juice...not very welcomy

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Quebec City hotels

Rozelle, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2011

Hotel was standard. The rooms were a bit odd in that the two beds were separated into separate rooms. Bathroom smallish, with sink etc outside the actual room. Short bus ride into Quebec City.

• Stayed July 2010
toronto canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2010

Place is good value. we paid 69.00 per night clean room and we got breakfast.
Overall a pretty good deal. Those staying there should have a car to get into Old Quebec City.
My only problem is please Sylvie or any of the other staff that may be reading this. is Wash the carpet on the stairs. It gives a bad impression.
Thank you Front Desk staff for all your help

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank cristina56
Dollard-des-Ormeaux, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2010

We planned a quick trip to Quebec City and the surrounding area, so we searched for lodging with the best price. Hotel le Voyageur was the cheapest price we found for that particular day. The last couple of times we traveled to Quebec City we booked at the more well known hotels (i.e... Delta, Hilton...etc) ; so we were a little apprehensive about Hotel le Voyageur. Nonetheless, we decided to give it a shot. Keep in mind this is not in the same category as 3 or 4 stars hotels. This is a traveller's lodge/motel. We wanted a place that was close to the tourist spots we would be visiting (i.e. Old Quebec, Battlefield Parks, Chateau Frontenac, Parliament, Montmorency Falls and Sanctuaire de Ste. Anne de Beaupre. ). It is located within minutes of downtown Quebec and all of these spots. Contrary to some reviews, we thought the neighborhood that the hotel is located in to be quiet. We felt very safe. It is located near a variety of fast food places, a Chinese restaurant right in front (China Garden - Which we found to be quite good) and also very near a grocery store (Maxi). The room itself is clean. We booked a standard room with 2 queen beds, and each bed had its own tv.. the room has a sliding divider which gives each bed its own privacy. The bathroom consists of the toilet and bathtub. The only sink is located outside the bathroom with its own vanity mirror. There is also a small fridge. The bed themselves were firm, but we still had a good night's sleep. We were 4 adults with 2 small children and the room was more than enough for all of us. The stay includes free continental breakfast for all occupants of the room (You just have to make sure to let the reservations desk know how many people you are in the room when you first check-in.) Breakfast is served in a room located downstairs from the main reception area. There is an attendant always present to explain what is included in the breakfast (Normally you have 3 choices - either toast, small croissants or muffins or a combination of those, juice, milk or coffee with 1 refill, or a bowl of cereal. Cheese or creton are $2 extra). There is an indoor swimming pool which is open from 7am to 11pm which we took advantage of - the kids loved it!!) . Parking is free on site. There are numerous spots available around the hotel. Overall, the hotel is clean and comfortable. Which is what we wanted since we would be spending most of the day sightseeing and really only needed a place to sleep. We paid $79 for our room (includes the free breakfast). How can you go wrong at that price? We were very happy with our stay and will definitely come back again the next time we visit Quebec City.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank MaverickCSX
Cambridge ,Ontario
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2010

Well to start,the place is under renovations its adding like 20 new rooms or more?The front desk staff are great always helpful. But the frt entrance and carpeting through the whole hotel are in need of a good cleaning and same in our rooms very dirty and stained carpet,air conditioner worked off and on,beds where very hard to hard for us. Our traveling companions did not want to stay but we did it was only for 3 nights and the rate was good,All in all it was not bad,Also it has a nice indoor pool.the location was great to Old Quebec City.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank ubouu
Toronto
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2010

This is by far the worst hotel ever, the staff are very bad dressed. the front desk lady was dressed like you just walked into a rub & Tug house. the place smells and very dirty, even the couch in the waiting area was so bad. I booked through Expidia and this place got 3 Stars, it should have been rated as a Motel not a Hotel. we wanted out as soon as we got there, I would rather sleeping in a car than sleep in this hotel.

the price is not that good compare to walkin prices in the City.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple